When weight distribution is needed?

Baby Physics Jesus frowns upon some posts in this thread. :biggrin:

The reason your hitch has different ratings for with/without WD hitch is because the bars (or cables or whatever your setup has) take vertical load (green arrow) when the system is out of alignment and convert it to horizontal load via spring tension. 

image.png

This is why it's critical to set them up so everything is in line.

Just because your truck doesn't squat or you don't see much decrease in front ride height when you hook it up doesn't mean you're not cantilevering a metric arseload of weight (which is multiplied on every bump) on your frame.  Just because it looks good when parked doesn't mean it isn't doing anything on every bump in the same way we don't tune the crossover on your buggy's suspension based on how level it looks when parked.  The engineer that did the calcs for your hitch spent a lot of time on that, don't disappoint him. :biggrin:

In short: run them.  Yes, they take time to set up, but there's a reason the numbers are different, and it's not because it makes you feel better as a driver.  

Last edited by a moderator:
All about proper loading.i have towed my toyhauler with and without weight distribution in most conditions no wind to heavy wind and no real difference in feel.My first buggy small 2 seater if i drove it in foward it began to sway at 60 mph if i got passed by truck.Nothing too bad but enough to know it wasnt right.pulled off fwy unloaded turned car around backed in and perfect form there out.

I feel same for sway control if you need that something in set up is not right.

if you crank the toung jack down and take the tongue weight off the truck before you put the bars on it helps alot the shouldnt be that tight 
it was a learning experience for sure, this was when unhitching the trailer. live and learn lucky it was just a pair of shorts that got ruined 

This video gives actual results of what happens when you rely upon just airbags to level your load and what the distribution hitch actually does. Side note, a quality hitch like an Equal-i-zer or similar is worth the money. They are simple and work very well and you can back up without having to remove the bars. Avoid the round bar and chain types.

25 minutes ago, ElCaminoManT said:

This video gives actual results of what happens when you rely upon just airbags to level your load and what the distribution hitch actually does. Side note, a quality hitch like an Equal-i-zer or similar is worth the money. They are simple and work very well and you can back up without having to remove the bars. Avoid the round bar and chain types.

LOL.  Airbags made the weight distribution even worse...

Well, this all confusing as high hell.  Guess I'll refer back if we end up pulling the trigger....

2 hours ago, ElCaminoManT said:

this was interesting.  it puts numbers to how I thought it worked.  Ive driven with & w/o my dist bars (& stabilizer) & it is most definitely different. 

why do you mean with your "avoid the round bar and Chain types" comment? 

This will be the next hitch I buy. Saw one on a clients truck and he said it was really nice. They also make them for WD and sway set ups.

Screenshot_20220729-150421_DuckDuckGo.jpg

One of my drivers has a Gen Y Boss hitch but they're super bulky and $1000. They also move the ball back about 12" from a normal spot so safety chains and electrical don't always reach.

Screenshot_20220729-151133_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I bent 2 hitches on my RV and broke one so I bought the Gen Y Mega Duty

without the torsion.

Screenshot_20220729-151144_DuckDuckGo.jpg

why do you mean with your "avoid the round bar and Chain types" comment
Mine is round bar, but no chains. It has the frame brackets like Equalizer uses. Imo, this type you don't need a separate sway control like with the chain type.

Baby Physics Jesus frowns upon some posts in this thread. :biggrin:

The reason your hitch has different ratings for with/without WD hitch is because the bars (or cables or whatever your setup has) take vertical load (green arrow) when the system is out of alignment and convert it to horizontal load via spring tension. 

View attachment 38495

This is why it's critical to set them up so everything is in line.

Just because your truck doesn't squat or you don't see much decrease in front ride height when you hook it up doesn't mean you're not cantilevering a metric arseload of weight (which is multiplied on every bump) on your frame.  Just because it looks good when parked doesn't mean it isn't doing anything on every bump in the same way we don't tune the crossover on your buggy's suspension based on how level it looks when parked.  The engineer that did the calcs for your hitch spent a lot of time on that, don't disappoint him. :biggrin:

In short: run them.  Yes, they take time to set up, but there's a reason the numbers are different, and it's not because it makes you feel better as a driver.  
LIke @rockwood said, the distribution hitch counter levers the rear hitch to put weight onto the front tires to even out the load, this is also helpful for towing, it does more than just level out the truck, 

We are now throwing around the idea of getting a toyhauler.  23'+/-.

We have a 2500 diesel.

Is a weight distribution hitch needed, not needed, extra safety, legally needed?

Just trying to learn some basics of trailers outside my 14' open trailer experience.

I'm borrowing a buddies 18' TH for my daughter's FFA at Ramona Fair this week.  I get to dump for the first time on Sunday.  Really looking forward to that!  
look at the hitch on your truck, it should have a sticker on it telling you everything you need to know... over 500lb tongue weight? yes you should have one, over 5000lb trailer weight? Yes, you should have one... 

The salesman said towing with my car would be no problem. Did he lie to me just to sell a unit?
Looks like the buyer didn't do his due diligence, or maybe just told the dealer I can tow it! Maybe he purchased it private party? 

FWIW 99% of all pull TH are delivered from the factories with OUT any weight distribution. 

The only LEGAL requirement is the brake controller.

The only time I ever used a weight distribution hitch was with a 1/2 tow vehicle. 3/4 to 1 ton, not needed unless you need to tow at 80MPH +. 

You can't blame the salesman for what you buy. That's not how it works.

I sold a 1997 ZX-11 to an 20 year old guy, it was his first bike. I told him he was crazy, but he had the $$ and didn't care what I told him. The SOB dropped it on its side just leaving the parking lot at the curb. Dude was dead 2 months later, yup crashed his brand new ZX-11.

That's when I moved to the parts department, I could not disconnect the association of selling him that bike in my head.

Honestly, they guy would hurt himself with a Ninja 500 or ZX6. So you can't blame the RV Dealer / Salesman is what I'm saying.

Back on Topic - I like to think of Bansh88 Tent Camping in Xanadu, 'cause it says, like, "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party too." I like to party, so I like my Bansh88 to party.

Are getting older? With Age comes a Toy Hauler?

:poke:

You can't blame the salesman for what you buy. That's not how it works.

I sold a 1997 ZX-11 to an 20 year old guy, it was his first bike. I told him he was crazy, but he had the $$ and didn't care what I told him. The SOB dropped it on its side just leaving the parking lot at the curb. Dude was dead 2 months later, yup crashed his brand new ZX-11.

That's when I moved to the parts department, I could not disconnect the association of selling him that bike in my head.

Honestly, they guy would hurt himself with a Ninja 500 or ZX6. So you can't blame the RV Dealer / Salesman is what I'm saying.

Back on Topic - I like to think of Bansh88 Tent Camping in Xanadu, 'cause it says, like, "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party too." I like to party, so I like my Bansh88 to party.

:poke:
You know, somehow that was lost in this thread: the great @Bansh88 "camping" in a tenement on wheels. 

Last edited by a moderator:
this was interesting.  it puts numbers to how I thought it worked.  Ive driven with & w/o my dist bars (& stabilizer) & it is most definitely different. 

why do you mean with your "avoid the round bar and Chain types" comment? 
I'm referring to the inexpensive type that uses the chains to connect from the bar to the hook brackets on the trailer tongue. While they do distribute weight, they offer zero sway control and rely upon the separate friction unit that is pretty much useless. They are also the type that you technically cannot back up with installed.

There are round bar friction type out there that are fine as well.

I'm referring to the inexpensive type that uses the chains to connect from the bar to the hook brackets on the trailer tongue. While they do distribute weight, they offer zero sway control and rely upon the separate friction unit that is pretty much useless. They are also the type that you technically cannot back up with installed.

Huh, never knew I couldn't back up with the cheap-O units.  Always disconnected before any big articulation or tight angles, but otherwise...

I did add a second friction device to mine, improved sway quite a bit.

Amusingly, the dude who bought it showed up in a single cab, shortbed V6 1500 SilveraAYdo to drag it home.  "But, you have the weight distribution hitch there." LOL.  That poor V6 on the grade...

Luckily he called his buddy with a truck like yours to drag it home to El Centro area for him...

Looks like the buyer didn't do his due diligence, or maybe just told the dealer I can tow it! Maybe he purchased it private party? 

FWIW 99% of all pull TH are delivered from the factories with OUT any weight distribution. 

The only LEGAL requirement is the brake controller.

The only time I ever used a weight distribution hitch was with a 1/2 tow vehicle. 3/4 to 1 ton, not needed unless you need to tow at 80MPH +. 
Sorry you missed my attempt at humor. You know, like it's always someone else's fault, no matter what.

Gotcha.  FWIW, I would guess that most folks done even know what an anti-Sway device is, LOL.  I didnt start using mine until the last few seasons when we have had some pretty windy days over the mountains on the 8 freeway.  both the weight distribution & the anti-Sway seem to work pretty well.  I REALLY notice the sway on windy ways when I forget to crank it down.  as long as I dont jack knife the trailer (or pull the pins & remove the anti-Sway before backing up), it goes backwards just as well as it does forwards.

The prospect of moving out of state was the initial interest in a trailer.  After this weekends FFA for my daughter, other options occurred to us.

Would I take it to Glamis?  Maybe.  But it's absolutely not why we're thinking about it.  I Keeps It Real.

Back