When weight distribution is needed?

When I first got my old TH (FS2300) I had a 1500 gas truck and it needed the WD hitch for sure.  Once I got my dodge 2500 I did not "need " it. The trailer barely squated the truck at all.  Would drive the trailer around town and it didn't need it.  So one time I decided to tow it to the dunes without the WD bars.  It towed it just fine but once I got to the rollers on the 78 between Blythe and Glamis I noticed the truck seemed different.  On the way home from that trip I put them on just to see the difference .  It was noticeable.   Not in squat of the truck but handling the curves. It just felt more glued to the road.  Remember a properly set up WD hitch is like the equivalent of instead of sitting down on the back of the quads seat standing up leaning over the bars. It is transferring weight top the front wheels.    

But with the bigger bumper pulls that would be a boat load of tension on the bars and trailer frame
Wouldn't it just be the same load/tension on the frame with no distribution hitch? My thinking is instead of load force all being in one direction (down in rear) it is spread through the truck/trailer frame.

I can tell you from experience, very little weight is transferred to the front of the tow vehicle.

I put my truck/trailer on a CAT scale.

Empty truck, front of truck was 6180 lbs.

Hooked up truck/trailer, front of truck was 6200 lbs.

No test with the trailer hooked up but no bars? Because your number prove its working. Without the bars your front end might have become lighter. Makes the truck want to wheelie type analogy. 

Truck is new with a brake controller.  Even has the 5th wheel/gooseneck pre-package but I do not want a 5th wheel.

Got this Bulletproof hitch this week.  HD version.  Says 22k on 2 5/16 ball.  Not sure why 2" vs 2 5/16 makes that big a difference?

They make a ball setup that come with WD ball as well.  I'd hope and imagine a WD kit would be compatible. 

20220725_171633.jpg

We are now throwing around the idea of getting a toyhauler.  23'+/-.

We have a 2500 diesel.

Is a weight distribution hitch needed, not needed, extra safety, legally needed?

Just trying to learn some basics of trailers outside my 14' open trailer experience.

I'm borrowing a buddies 18' TH for my daughter's FFA at Ramona Fair this week.  I get to dump for the first time on Sunday.  Really looking forward to that!  
i dont know all the technical stuff other do. but my first big trailer was a 27', towed with 2009 duramax. trailer came with the hitch and WD. i liked it better with the bars than without, maybe it was just because i did not know anything about them and it was included with the trailer so my mind was thinking i need to have these. but i did tow with out them to see if i felt a difference and with them on the front of the truck didnt feel as high or "floating" (if that makes sense). i just always used them. BUT i did learn a good lesson taking them off the bar slipped out of my hands and completely ripped my shorts, i got lucky on that one, those things are under alot of tension. [SIZE=11pt][/SIZE]

WDfail.jpg

That hitch is sweet man. Not sure ive ever seen painted balls that werent richard or sals. 

Did a quick search and looks like you can buy an adapter. https://www.amazon.com/BulletProof-Hitches-Distribution-Control-Attachment/dp/B07ML9Z5JW

Negative to this is that it pushes the tow ball further away from the truck. Which gives the trailer more leverage to shake the truck around. 

Buying a different shank for a WD setup would be cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17100-Weight-Distribution-Shank/dp/B001EP0HSU/ref=psdc_15737251_t2_B001EOV4NS

Im not positive but i dont think you can use the ball with a WD setup. When you buy the WD hitch it will already have a ball attached to its body. 

Good part is the hitch you have now will come in mega handy. Having both sizes that can move up and down easy. Watch out for thieves. Ive been lucky its the only thing thats been stolen from my truck was a WD hitch while parked at Home Depot. No joke they didnt even take tools i have right there in the bed. I didnt even know i got jacked. Went back to work. Walking around the back of my truck and remember to not slam my shin into the ball. Then im like WTF....wheres my hitch!?? It had a lock too. Im told they can put a long cheater bar on the hitch pin and shear it right off. I drive around with a cheap regular receiver back there. Keeps people from tapping the rear bumper is the only reason. 

Wouldn't it just be the same load/tension on the frame with no distribution hitch? My thinking is instead of load force all being in one direction (down in rear) it is spread through the truck/trailer frame.
I’m talking about the frame of the trailer and the bars and brackets of the hitch. Takes a huge amount of force to sag the front suspension 20’ away. 

We tow a lot of trailers and never use a weight distribution hitch. My son tows his 30' WW with his YXZ, Raptor 700 and Honda 400EX and it tows fine. His truck has airbags with in cab control. It's important to make sure the trailer is level for proper towing.

If a WD hitch and sway bar give you more confidence when towing then get one. I find them not unnecessary.

View attachment 38403

View attachment 38404

View attachment 38405

View attachment 38406

View attachment 38407
Keep in mind you have a bunch more experience towing than the OP does. 

Of the trailers you pictured only 3 I would use weight distribution on and 1 of those is meant to be behind a motorhome so it really don’t count lol  

I could have got away with no load distribution on my big Stealth but it was better with it. 

The OP should run a good hitch and learn how to load a trailer  once he gets some experience he can make the call if he wants to use it still  

Keep in mind you have a bunch more experience towing than the OP does. 

Of the trailers you pictured only 3 I would use weight distribution on and 1 of those is meant to be behind a motorhome so it really don’t count lol  

I could have got away with no load distribution on my big Stealth but it was better with it. 

The OP should run a good hitch and learn how to load a trailer  once he gets some experience he can make the call if he wants to use it still  
True, which is why I said to use one if it makes him feel better. I've always wondered why towing isn't an endorsement even for a regular Class C license.

It's important to make sure the trailer is level for proper towing.

View attachment 38403
Im surprised someone like you who tows a lot doesnt have a setup like Bansh posted. Where you can adjust the ball height in seconds. You said its important to tow level and i agree. This pic doesnt look all that level. 

Im surprised someone like you who tows a lot doesnt have a setup like Bansh posted. Where you can adjust the ball height in seconds. You said its important to tow level and i agree. This pic doesnt look all that level. 
Not a fan of the Bullet Proof hitches. Seen them and just didn't look very well built. But I've broken and bent more than a few hitches I did think were stout.

20220728_184920.jpg

My truck hitch is adjustable in seconds.

20220728_184938.jpg

And so is the hitch on my son's truck. Weigh Safe with but in scale works great, makes it so much safer. 

20220728_184944.jpg

And it's custom engraved by a client that does lowrider stuff.

i dont know all the technical stuff other do. but my first big trailer was a 27', towed with 2009 duramax. trailer came with the hitch and WD. i liked it better with the bars than without, maybe it was just because i did not know anything about them and it was included with the trailer so my mind was thinking i need to have these. but i did tow with out them to see if i felt a difference and with them on the front of the truck didnt feel as high or "floating" (if that makes sense). i just always used them. BUT i did learn a good lesson taking them off the bar slipped out of my hands and completely ripped my shorts, i got lucky on that one, those things are under alot of tension. 

View attachment 38419
if you crank the toung jack down and take the tongue weight off the truck before you put the bars on it helps alot the shouldnt be that tight 

No test with the trailer hooked up but no bars? Because your number prove its working. Without the bars your front end might have become lighter. Makes the truck want to wheelie type analogy. 
If you are talking to me, no, cause I would never tow set up like that. So those numbers didn’t matter to me. 

Towing "level" is the goal.

You can level your truck and trailer different ways, just be sure your method matches the cause of the bad angle.

Example, TJ (adams) raised his enclosed to match the hitch height of his truck. You do this to place the load as even as possible between the rig and trailer. A huge drop hitch can work fine, but as you go up in towed weight, that extra leverage between tow rig and towed trailer becomes a potential failure point.

Bansh won't be Towing a Stacker, but he should try to level his load properly vs buying a gimmicky setup that drops up and down for various setups. 

The Diesel truck he has might just need airbags if he pulls heavy.

A good WD setup won't use a huge drop hitch, that starts to take away from the strength/reliability of the components.

Is this your personal trailer? You said you can adjust your ball height in seconds. Also said its important to tow level while making fun of WD setups. Then you post this picture? Poule is gonna snap a pic of you going down the road!!!
Ah, the one dimensional picture police are on the scene.  That pic was taken the day I picked it up and drove it 3 miles to a tire shop for new rubber.  The right side is on jack stands and floor jacks.  Zoom in and you'll see Conelo's Tire Shop sign above the trailer.  But interpret the pic to fit your narative, CNN, hosre reigns are whips when the pic is taken from the proper angle.

And at no point did I make 'fun' of anyone choosing to use a WD hitch.  I said to do what makes you feel comfortable.  I don't use one.  But I have more miles backing up trailers than most people have going forward with them.

Back