What's a decent 22 pistol for plinking?

I have a GSG Firefly, was branded as the SIG Mosquito at one time.  Fun gun, accurate, and inexpensive.  I got mine with a threaded barrel to shoot suppressed. 

We went through this same scenario several years ago for my wife and we shot the Sig Mosquito, Ruger, Glock, etc... and the one that my wife seemed to like was the Smith and Wesson M&P 22. The gun has great balance and fit her hand well, smooth trigger and slide. Only complaint is as previously mentioned these .22 hand guns don't like dirty ammo. We have to use CCI ammo or equiv. The bonus is the gun looks identical to the 9mm and .45 unless staring into the barrel ( noticeably smaller ). Great plinker and defense in my opinion.  I believe it is made my Walther as well. 

Good luck, keep us posted on what you end up going with.

@Crusty  - If it is truly for the Mrs. I would suggest you go to a range and possibly rent a few guns and let her shoot them. Most ranges will let you switch out the gun if it is the same caliber ( as long as you buy the ammo from them ) so you can try several .22's and possibly see if one is more comfortable in her hand and does not intimidate her when pulling the trigger. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the Kimber 22 conversion for my Colt 1911 45cal. Takes less than a minute to switch barrels. Very happy with the reliability, we call it the garbage disposal as it’ll shoot anything, even dirty shiatty bulk ammo.

I love .22s. Have a bunch and have shot a bunch of others. My favorite is a ruger mark III 22/45. I would like to get my hands on a mark IV but not in Cali. The sig mosquito I shot jammed and ftf often enough I didn’t like it. It wasn’t mine though so it may have been dirty. The buckmark is a great little gun also. If you can find a used ruger sr22, they are really good pointers and small. 

We went through this same scenario several years ago for my wife and we shot the Sig Mosquito, Ruger, Glock, etc... and the one that my wife seemed to like was the Smith and Wesson M&P 22. The gun has great balance and fit her hand well, smooth trigger and slide. Only complaint is as previously mentioned these .22 hand guns don't like dirty ammo. We have to use CCI ammo or equiv. The bonus is the gun looks identical to the 9mm and .45 unless staring into the barrel ( noticeably smaller ). Great plinker and defense in my opinion.  I believe it is made my Walther as well. 

Good luck, keep us posted on what you end up going with.

@Crusty  - If it is truly for the Mrs. I would suggest you go to a range and possibly rent a few guns and let her shoot them. Most ranges will let you switch out the gun if it is the same caliber ( as long as you buy the ammo from them ) so you can try several .22's and possibly see if one is more comfortable in her hand and does not intimidate her when pulling the trigger. 
Ruger mk 2 will cycle any big box ammo (at least my era pistol). Never had an issue with it. Its like jenna jameson It’ll choke down anything. The walthers and slide based .22’s have cycling issues.

ruger sigle 6 is a great revolver. 10 round cylinder, mine came with .22 long and short cylinders. Another very accurate pistol. 
i prefer ruger revolvers, and thats just from experience. Large frame smiths are great too, the smaller frame pistols have horrendous triggers. Usually because they are marketed as concealment guns and smith is afraid of liability from people having accidental discharges. The horrendous triggers make them very hard to be accurate with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walther P22 looks pretty nice, we're getting ready to pick one up for my 10yr old

I love .22s. Have a bunch and have shot a bunch of others. My favorite is a ruger mark III 22/45. I would like to get my hands on a mark IV but not in Cali. The sig mosquito I shot jammed and ftf often enough I didn’t like it. It wasn’t mine though so it may have been dirty. The buckmark is a great little gun also. If you can find a used ruger sr22, they are really good pointers and small. 
I haven't had any issues with mine.  But, I only shoot it suppressed...plenty dirty.  Maybe the extra pressure helps is cycle with weak chitty ammo...

Had cycling issues with mine. Wouldn't cycle box ammo at all. Every 3-5 cci’s would hang up too. 
That's a bummer! I'd hate for him to have a tough time with it, especially with a $350 price tag for a 22

You have a Havasu address...what's the problem?   :lol:
CA closed the "loophole" for people with two addresses.  You used to be able to purchase in AZ and then fill out a form when you bring it to CA.  Now, you have to ship it from your second residence to a FFL and it must be on the fooking CA roster.  Fuc CA and all their stupid azz gun laws.

Back