What Are You Listening To

40 minutes ago, South Bay said:

Neil Schon rockin both his axe and a period correct afro .  .

Most people have no idea what a great player Neil is.

I know a guy who was pretty well connected into the industry back in the 80's and was sort of at the Hear -N-Aid session.  Showed up with some people who were in the session but wasn't allowed to hang out, So him and the rest of the on lookers went to the Rainbow. The guy's showed up at the Rainbow later and all they did ( 3rd hand report) was talk about how Neil walked in with just his guitar. Took two minutes to get this amazing tone and did one take and blew away all of the guy's who had been there for hours warming up trying to get the solo just right. All of them except one were convinced he was the best player at the session, and Malmsteen will never tell anybody he wasn't the greatest player in the world let alone the room

Most people have no idea what a great player Neil is.

I know a guy who was pretty well connected into the industry back in the 80's and was sort of at the Hear -N-Aid session.  Showed up with some people who were in the session but wasn't allowed to hang out, So him and the rest of the on lookers went to the Rainbow. The guy's showed up at the Rainbow later and all they did ( 3rd hand report) was talk about how Neil walked in with just his guitar. Took two minutes to get this amazing tone and did one take and blew away all of the guy's who had been there for hours warming up trying to get the solo just right. All of them except one were convinced he was the best player at the session, and Malmsteen will never tell anybody he wasn't the greatest player in the world let alone the room
Yeah, he's easy to overlook because Journey is seen as being soft by the hardcore metal crowd (which is true to some extent).  

The section I quoted above is the most 80s guitar dork thing and I can totally believe it. The only Yngwie thing I ever liked was Steeler . . .

Rancid cover by a Bluegrass prodigy with alopecia?  You bet. (Also, Billy Strings sings on this).

Badassery from back in the day.  Back up singer sings, dances and plays guitar.  In heels . . .

Well with it being summer, and all of the talk about the Deep Purple family tree, and another awesome keyboardist, it got me thinking back to the good old days and a fella who fit into those categories. Enjoy

Back