Welding Newbie

Throw my2c in on this...  it has become pretty clear that I can't see crap now days, and someone suggested putting more light on it.  That helped so I came up with this.  It made a huge difference for me.  That and putting cheater lenses on the helmet as well as wearing my readers.  

View attachment 22538
X2 on cheater lenses

A quick blast of brake cleaner on their puddle is always good for a laugh... Lol

On 1/3/2022 at 6:25 PM, Rockwood said:

Get yourself a 3’ long piece of 5” .250 wall alumn tube and let a newbie get about 20 seconds into a weld hold it head high and drop it. Holy eff its loud and scary as eff

Last edited by a moderator:
Throw my2c in on this...  it has become pretty clear that I can't see crap now days, and someone suggested putting more light on it.  That helped so I came up with this.  It made a huge difference for me.  That and putting cheater lenses on the helmet as well as wearing my readers.  

View attachment 22538
This really makes no sense.  You are welding with a heavily shaded lenses to protector your eyes from the intense UV of the arc.  Much like mimicking the SUN..

A small LED light, maybe 90 lumen, is going to "shed light" on your weld? Nah.

My dad claims a small desk lamp on his welds help too.  It doesn't.  His welds suck. 

You are using the wrong lenses fellas. AND, maybe what you need is actually a magnifier behind the lens.  Think of it like reading the menu at a dimly lit restaurant.  You need your cheater glasses(magnifier) and your phone light (lighter shade lens) to read it.

It might not make sense to you, but it works.  Ive been doing it for 12 or 13 years now.  That is no "small LED Light".  It has two 18650 rechargeable batteries and I can focus it to cover the area I need, it really is quite bright. 

it is especially helpful when your under the buggy & all of the shop lights are shining down in your face.  when Im doing a lot of stuff under, I just turn the lights out and use a light on the floor along with my helmet light. 

And to be clear............. the goal is not to light up the weld puddle, its to light up the surrounding area so I know where Im headed, watch gaps, gauge thickness, etc. 

It might not make sense to you, but it works.  Ive been doing it for 12 or 13 years now.  That is no "small LED Light".  It has two 18650 rechargeable batteries and I can focus it to cover the area I need, it really is quite bright. 

it is especially helpful when your under the buggy & all of the shop lights are shining down in your face.  when Im doing a lot of stuff under, I just turn the lights out and use a light on the floor along with my helmet light. 
There are instances when I use supplemental light too. Epecially when using pencil torch down inside things

I could see it lighting up the area around your weld.
It's especially helpful to have another light on a downhill weld (or any time you're pulling the puddle) since a lot of it gets shadowed by your dckbeaters and the gun.

verical-up-mig-welding.jpg

Back when autoshade hoods first started getting popular I bought one at the welding store (over 20 years ago). Just the small lens, no batteries just 2 little solar panels right above the lens. I still use it every day (that I have to weld). Still works like the day I bought it. I have other ones but that one's my favorite. Been through a few sets of headgear but the hood and lens are original. 

And to be clear............. the goal is not to light up the weld puddle, its to light up the surrounding area so I know where Im headed, watch gaps, gauge thickness, etc. 
^^^^ Amen. Miller sells a light kit to fit their hoods and it ROCKS, especially when you are underneath a vehicle. I got mine at a local weld shop but I see that you can get them on Amazon too (of course). One light on each side and they made it angle so both beams come together right where you're looking when you put your hood down. Might work on other brands too, IDK.

https://www.amazon.com/Miller-Helmet-Light-Accessory-282013/dp/B07FF9G253/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=Cj0KCQiAieWOBhCYARIsANcOw0w4WLSHH4EqCMbo6c-QfpOm8asTFgNIlFKLkpyWMI-Ydf5nk_ktVdkaAjZXEALw_wcB&hvadid=397086140875&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1013475&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16558606152320423674&hvtargid=kwd-894526772087&hydadcr=7441_9611280&keywords=miller+welding+helmet+light+kit&qid=1641684054&sr=8-1

DSC00852.JPG

Hmmm…. Maybe put an XL80 above each ear as well? :biggrin:

Back