Welding Newbie

Nice part about a 110 flux machine is you can run it off a small generator.  I always had one in the trailer.  Great for those "bottom of the bowl" rescues.  Will it be perfect? Nope.  Will it get you back to camp without having to call the snowcat? Oh yeah.  Ride the rest of the weekend out if done right?  Maybe..

Pretty sure @Carwashguru wishes he had that option last weekend.  A 110 flux welder would've saved him a bunch of cash...
We never go to the dunes without one. Saved us many times. 

Also, in the dunes because of day light I weld with no helmet. Eyes closed and listen to how weld is happening and do a series of spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
We never go to the dunes without one. Saved us many times. 

Also, in the dunes because of day light I weld with no helmet. Eyes closed and listen to how weld is happening and do a series of spots.
I didn't realize you can't weld in the daytime. I've been doing it wrong all these years

I didn't realize you can't weld in the daytime. I've been doing it wrong all these years
Glad I could help.

Key word there was "I". I can't see in the bright sun light so helmet is of no use. 

The most important thing to learn when welding is puddle control and heat penetration. You can go spend $2k on a machine and just spew wire all over the place with no idea what you’re doing. If you start with a small 110 flux machine, you can learn how to control a puddle, and for cheap. Then when you step up it’ll just get better and better, and easier too. There will always be a place in your garage for a cheap 110 

Glad I could help.

Key word there was "I". I can't see in the bright sun light so helmet is of no use. 
get a better helmet with a pullover dark out sheild.  It material that will enclose the helmet, 

Clearest helmet on the markets is the Optrell it is a 1.1.1.1.  

Another great Helmet is the Digital infinity by miller it is a 1.1.1.2

Sentinel A50 is right up there also, by Esab and another hi Classification 1.1.1.2

Lincoln Helmets all have a optical Clarity of 1.1.1.1  this is amazing even on the $150 dollar helmet you get perfect Optical Clarity, so another Clearest on the market.

At the End of the Day, if you purchase a Helmet without the Optical Clarity, you are wasting your Eyes, a Good Helmet will allow you to see no matter what the conditions are, no excuses.

Glad I could help.

ArcSpecs™ Auto-Darkening Welding Goggles (lincolnelectric.com)

This is the most unique welding protection that should work, full goggles, lets no background light in, 1.1.1.1. clarity, and has moved the lenses as close to a pair of sunglasses, and is the most affordable in the market of an Auto Dark, Perfect Clarity Goggle, coming in at $275.

Fwiw you only need mig mix above 200amps mostly a waste of $ below that (huge price diff) 

i would spend the extra $$ for miller 211 or a hobart 210 or esab 210.

all excellent welders with multiple input voltage capability. I have used all 3 and liked them. I have 2 211’s i use regularly. I feel the esab is the best value

cyberweld.com has great deals and fast shipping (i’ve bought 2 welders from them)
I love our little 211. One of the smoothest running migs I have ever run. They will handle more than most hobbyist would ever need. 

You should really consider what type of material you want to weld or may need to weld in the future. If you think you may need to weld aluminum perhaps consider a mig machine that will run a spool gun if you want to add that. I have an older Millermatic 220v mig machine which welds steel fantastic. Problem is they no longer make the module to run a spool gun. I also have a Miller Dynasty 350 which is a stupid expensive, but awesome machine that will tig weld just about any material on the planet. But I cannot run an aluminum mig gun with either of these. There have been several occasions where I wish I had aluminum mig like welding things to the trailer frame. Setting up for tig while lying under the trailer is a PITA. 

get a better helmet with a pullover dark out sheild.  It material that will enclose the helmet, 

Sentinel A50 is right up there also, by Esab and another hi Classification 1.1.1.2

Lincoln Helmets all have a optical Clarity of 1.1.1.1  this is amazing even on the $150 dollar helmet you get perfect Optical Clarity, so another Clearest on the market.

At the End of the Day, if you purchase a Helmet without the Optical Clarity, you are wasting your Eyes, a Good Helmet will allow you to see no matter what the conditions are, no excuses.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Love my shop helmet and works great for me. For what little welding that needs done in sand I will just do as always as it causes me no issues. When we weld in the dunes it's usually done just so a car can get back in trailer and home for proper repair.

You keep welding w.no protection and you wont be able to see, day or night.

I'm with J Alper, to me the helmet is one of the most important things. I have an auto darkening Miller helmet with changeable lenses inside so I can clearly see what I'm trying to weld. 

I'd skip a 120V welder and get one that does both 120 and 220, that way it's portable and can do heavier stuff when needed. The ESAB's are really cool. When I need to do heavier gauge stuff, I borrow PDM's Miller. Welds still look like chit, but that's cause I suck as welding.

Link for the cheap Lincoln:

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en/Products/k3282-3 

I'm running this hood:

https://usaweld.com/collections/htp-america-auto-darkening-welding-helmets/products/htp_striker_pro-view_xl_welding_helmet

That @Sausage450r tipped us off to pre-crash.  Works great, need to order new cover lenses though.

Speaking of: learned to not sit 0.1" away from the weld like most of us self-taught guys do.  It ruins helmets fast. :biggrin:
When you work in a shop you learn cool stuff like 

• pull out the inner Lense and put black electrical tape on it, so you can see how long the owner will mess with the helmet, 
  • When they are welding adjust the wire speed and when they go to look over sneak off
  • or hide one glove, 
  • black grease on the sweat band, 

These are some of the important stuff i have learned over the years, 

• pull out the inner Lense and put black electrical tape on it, so you can see how long the owner will mess with the helmet, 
  • When they are welding adjust the wire speed and when they go to look over sneak off
  • or hide one glove, 

A quick blast of brake cleaner on their puddle is always good for a laugh... Lol

• or hide one glove, 

The second video is totally me when the hood does not work correctly LOL 

Throw my2c in on this...  it has become pretty clear that I can't see crap now days, and someone suggested putting more light on it.  That helped so I came up with this.  It made a huge difference for me.  That and putting cheater lense in the helmet as well as wearing my readers.  

20220105_155811.jpg

Throw my2c in on this...  it has become pretty clear that I can't see crap now days, and someone suggested putting more light on it.  That helped so I came up with this.  It made a huge difference for me.  That and putting cheater lenses on the helmet as well as wearing my readers.  

View attachment 22538
Absolutely. You’d never think it given, well, welding arc light, but ambient light helps a ton even after the arc is struck

Back