Welding Newbie

SYBIZ

Reaction score
I've been looking a used welders because I'd like to learn how to weld so I can build my own gate for my RV parking. I've been told 2 things so far...I want a MIG welder and I want one that uses the Argon mix gas. What else do I need to know in order to get started?

Mig is a good all around machine for welding steel.  I would recommend using argon/co2 mix and solid wire.  

You can use flux core wire if you wanted to weld without gas but it will leave a messy weld and not look as clean.

you can get mig welders in 110v or 220v, a 110v will max out around 1/8"-3/16" thick.  

The newer machines are alot lighter and more portable.  I just bought a new miller 211 which allows you to run the machine on either 110v or 220 ( comes with 2 plugs) and it only weighs like 35 lbs.  

Other than that, watch some videos on youtube and practice on scrap material until you feel comfortable enough to do your gate project. 

i have a miller 251 wire feeder for sale 2900.00 with the bottle of gas mixed already so that you can start welding and practice alot before you start your own project be a welder not a grinder I am a welder for 38 plus years call me 909 214 8930 

I get asked pretty often by people who are interested in welding what to start with. Buy this, it is a fantastic machine to learn on. Being that it's flux it's just pull the trigger and go, no need to try to learn about gas and CFUs and mixtures, etc. You can weld a multitude of steel with it, and yes there's slag, but get a slag hammer and a grinder and go for it. It's dirt cheap and is super portable. I started with this machine, stepped up to a MIG, and now do about 95% TIG. But I still kept this little hobart and from time to time love pulling it out and using it for small project. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200711842_200711842?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Welding > MIG %2B Flux Core Welding > MIG %2B Flux Core Welders&utm_campaign=Hobart&utm_content=68750&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk4aOBhCTARIsAFWFP9Fg07GivAGDvp9Ngk_kWAvdtaDCwmjqFOp-pisTLBR1BmyVzpoEI0EaAjD2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I get asked pretty often by people who are interested in welding what to start with. Buy this, it is a fantastic machine to learn on. Being that it's flux it's just pull the trigger and go, no need to try to learn about gas and CFUs and mixtures, etc. You can weld a multitude of steel with it, and yes there's slag, but get a slag hammer and a grinder and go for it. It's dirt cheap and is super portable. I started with this machine, stepped up to a MIG, and now do about 95% TIG. But I still kept this little hobart and from time to time love pulling it out and using it for small project. 

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200711842_200711842?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Welding > MIG %2B Flux Core Welding > MIG %2B Flux Core Welders&utm_campaign=Hobart&utm_content=68750&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk4aOBhCTARIsAFWFP9Fg07GivAGDvp9Ngk_kWAvdtaDCwmjqFOp-pisTLBR1BmyVzpoEI0EaAjD2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
This welder looks like a pretty good option. Price is right for sure. 

I use a lincoln 180 hd been great for my use.Gets used a few times a year at most.I had a 120 volt welder years ago didnt like it not hot enough for heavier work.Maybe today they are better.

Brother has a miller 211 was a nice welder too and was dual voltage.

I have one of those small wire feeds and use it a bunch.  Mostly doing stupid little things. 

I also bought a TIG I use every once in a while.  Bit it takes me an hour to get back in shape to do good work for a 30 second job.  

I have the Lincoln 140 machine.  It’s works good. Open a Home Depot credit card and they knock off some money.  I run 023 solid wire in mine, turn down to minimum heat to weld sheet metal or turn heat all the way up to weld 1/8 tubing just by adjusting wire speed. I use straight co2 so it doesn’t have a problem with wind.  If you have a metal yard near that cuts material, you can ask them if you can dig through their scrap bin for cut offs to practice with.  Offering to order them a pizza for lunch they might just fill up a milk crate for you. That worked for my nephew. 

Fwiw you only need mig mix above 200amps mostly a waste of $ below that (huge price diff) 

i would spend the extra $$ for miller 211 or a hobart 210 or esab 210.

all excellent welders with multiple input voltage capability. I have used all 3 and liked them. I have 2 211’s i use regularly. I feel the esab is the best value

cyberweld.com has great deals and fast shipping (i’ve bought 2 welders from them)

****the problem with budget welders is everything is cheap, poor output voltage poor wire feed and drive systems, no gas system or crappy gas solenoids. If you don't know any better maybe you would never care, but once you use a quality welder the garbage is just obvious. They are a waste of good money and generally have poor resale value.  I can sell my 211 today for probably more than i paid 5 years ago within minutes of listing.

food for thought

I used my Dads hobart handler 110V machine. A 120 handler I believe. I did practice a bunch before repairing the gate but it turned out passable. I want to buy the 240V version, the iron horse for me. I used an argon mix and the welder never shut off due to duty cycle which I exceeded. 

20180512_111119.jpg

20180512_113715.jpg

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

I have a HObart Handler 140.  I got it at Toolking, before they went outa bizness, twas on special.  It is a fluxcore 110v.  I drag an extension cord to work on things.  Yes, it is susceptible to low voltage, like mentioned. 

It loves 1/8", and sometimes exhaust...it loves exhaust on new pipe, rusty pipe, that is thinner, not so much (blows holes).

Before that, I had a Lincoln Handy-Core.  It needs a brain...something, and they cost more than what the thing is worth.  I am holding it watching for one in a pawn-shop.  I got it at Home Depot.  It is in the hobby line, or something like that and Lincoln....tough to get parts.

I have welded up to 1/4" w/it.  Multiple passes, gusset and add design like crazy (I am crazy to weld that thick, as it doesn't penetrate enough).  For example, my last hitch, I did a receiver.  Instead of just welding the box on the bumper, I cut a hole in the bumper, put it inside (which doubled the amount of weld), and I put 2 gussets on it.  I have about 20" of weld on that box (a 1" weld, properly done, will lift a ton.

Long-story-short, get a 110v fluxcore, especially if all you wast to do is handyman stuff.  Like I said...it loves 1/8" (bed=frames, angle iron, square, etc.)  BTW., my last rail was built w/a 110v fluxcore.

If you are going to keep welding past the RV gate, I would recommend a 220v welder. They just make everything easier. The 120v work......but don't get hot enough and penetration can be an issue. @Turbo_Manx_Maniac has that same Hobart (I believe that is the model) maybe he can give you some real life input. I have a Miller 175 (mig) and I love it! I also have a Miller 200 Sycrowave(tig) and it never gets touched. I use straight CO2 for gas. Its cheap and works good. Makes a little splatter but not bad. I also keep a bottle of MIG mix (argon/co2) in the garage incase I need it. Also, the CO2 burns hotter. I run straight Argon in the TIG machine. 

If you go with the 120v machine, make sure everything is clean. The 220v machine has more juice to burn through some rust/paint. 

Since he said he wants to start in to welding,  I said the small welder from Home Depot.  Would defiantly recommend a 240 machine if it’s some thing down the road he wants to be welding trailer hitches and trailer spring mounts. The Lincoln is definitely cheaper than Miller. Lincoln was about $559 and Miller was over $900.   I own  both, a Lincoln 140 and a Miller 141,  the Miller seems to have way more power when welding same material.  The gas, 75/25 is good inside a shop, straight co2 is good for small machine and welding thicker plates like 1/4-3/16. Does have a little bit of scale that comes off with one pass of a wire brush.  Works well with a breeze out side.  Inner shield is dirty and seems to use a lot of its power trying to burn thicker wire to get same results. Sometimes multi passes compared to single w small mig wire. Can also use a more expensive gas to get penetration. Tri mix that uses helium but I don’t find the cost effective enough to use it with a 110 machine. That’s when you should step up to a 240 Machine.  

Couple of things, do not be afraid of turning up the heat, most welders will not have enough heat to worry about over doing it, I have had a multiple, welders and have worked in many shops, I think the Lincoln will be the best by, I am a miller fan for a couple or reasons, but only 3 Miller Matics i would use the rest are not up to the task, the Lincoln 

Starting off with a POS helmet will just make crap welds, the big deal about a cheap helmet is the auto dim is slow and will get arc flash, and you will be welding blind, 

Get a good Miller, they are good and not very expensive, 

Cheap Helmet = Cheap results, 

Starting off a 140 Lincoln is a good start and portable, 

Next would be a ESAB Fabricator 

Even better is a ProPulse 220  -  If you start to learn Pro-Pulse, you will weld like the best out there, 

Millermatic 252, great machine also same in class is 260

And top of the Line will be the Millermatic 255   I personally own a 255 and  it does ProPulse and can change the inductance, 

the only 2 machines right now that you can change the Inductance is a HTP, Miller and Esab,   to have the perfect weld, it helps with adjusting the Inductance, especially the Miller 251 has a low Inductance and will never produce a great weld,  

After having 3 Millermatic 251 it has auto runout timer issues and inductance issues, so i would stay away from that machine, 250 has the same issue, was fixed in the 252 Models,  

Lincoln is a Great Machine but feel is overprices in the 240V models compared to the features that HTP, Esab, and Miller-255 offer, 

At the End of the Day, Helmet and a good gun will help a lot,  If you get a used machine do your self a favor and change the lining right away and clean the rollers, 

Jason's info is not wrong.  BUT, a 252 is not an entry level machine price wise.  I've used them a bunch. our shop has 4. I've probably put a literal ton of wire through them.  They are awesome machines, but I wouldn't suggest one to someone getting their feet wet.  Buy a 110 flux machine.  They are under $200.  Learn to make it work, if you're still in on welding, then step up to an actual MIG.  Something like a Miller 185, under a G.  If you then find yourself needing more power buy a big machine.

Unless you are REAL committed to learning, don't spend $500 on an auto helmet.  A $50 Jackson JHSL100 is an awesome unit. If you decide you suck at welding and are gonna toss in the towel, it makes a great face shield for grinding the shitty welds you put down prior.

I have both a 110 flux machine, a 220 MIG, and a 200a TIG machine.  I probably use the flux machine more for fixing random sht around the house.  I can run it on a long extension cord to fix a gate, etc.

There is probably more to be said about helmets though.  Lens types, shades, etc...  This can make a HUGE difference in how you can weld, how you see a weld, and whether you weld your line.  My dad is a shitty welder.  But, he uses a shitty helmet and the wrong shade lens.  I can't talk him off it.  Personally, I have to change shades depending on the process.  #10 for MIG, #11 or maybe a #12 for TIG.

@Kraut_n_Rice has a good point a flux core is a good way also, in the dunes, in the wind, can make great repairs, it will teach how to be patient and for a good weld, as for a welder millermatic 185 was the best machine i have owned to date, a lot of people want twice what they paid for them,  if you can find a deal on a 185 it will be a great machine,  

@Kraut_n_Rice has a good point a flux core is a good way also, in the dunes, in the wind, can make great repairs, it will teach how to be patient and for a good weld, as for a welder millermatic 185 was the best machine i have owned to date, a lot of people want twice what they paid for them,  if you can find a deal on a 185 it will be a great machine,  
Nice part about a 110 flux machine is you can run it off a small generator.  I always had one in the trailer.  Great for those "bottom of the bowl" rescues.  Will it be perfect? Nope.  Will it get you back to camp without having to call the snowcat? Oh yeah.  Ride the rest of the weekend out if done right?  Maybe..

Pretty sure @Carwashguru wishes he had that option last weekend.  A 110 flux welder would've saved him a bunch of cash...

Back