Trailer rear door opening.

richard h

Reaction score
So how wide do you need? Just enough to get sand car in? I put new wheels and tires on and debating whether I should modify the rear door opening. I now have 1/16th" of free space. Good enough? It will go, but would you go to the trouble of widening opening?

1/16” doesn’t leave much margin for error. Also how about your door cables. I have more clearance than you do but my cables make it stupid tight. 

I’d say inch per side is ideal. My door opening is 98” and car is a little over 96 in the rear… I winch it in, which helps… 

1/16” doesn’t leave much margin for error. Also how about your door cables. I have more clearance than you do but my cables make it stupid tight. 
Cables are taken care of. I made slide pins that allow them to slide out after door is open, then back in to close the door.

Reactions: FOG
The wider the better. It’s nice being able to drive right in without having people watch the sides.

When everything is open and straight in its all good.  Get it a little crooked or on a slight angle or some kind of obstacle, and it becomes a bunch harder.  Especially if your driving it.   Witching makes it a bunch easier.  

1/16 would be a slow stopper for me.  But I drive mine in.  

My new 20' enclosed will have 104" wide rear door. Should be able to drive in just about every sandrail put there.

Well, I decided I am not going to modify the trailer. I could only gain about 1-1/2" doing so. I'm going to attempt to drive it in as is. If that fails maybe, I'll just try going faster. Next will be changing wheels up as I think I can get between a 1-1/2" and 2" by doing so. What makes me hesitate, these wheels and tires hold air now and really hate the thought of messing that up.

Well, I decided I am not going to modify the trailer. I could only gain about 1-1/2" doing so. I'm going to attempt to drive it in as is. If that fails maybe, I'll just try going faster. Next will be changing wheels up as I think I can get between a 1-1/2" and 2" by doing so. What makes me hesitate, these wheels and tires hold air now and really hate the thought of messing that up.
I did a winch set up with a remote control, loved it.

What's easier / more cost effective - winch it in so you can watch the 1/16, or modify the trailer?  At least with a winch (assuming you don't already have one) - it can be used to yank the car in if damaged / won't start / etc.

I may do the winch. I did drive it in and didn't have to do it at hi speed either. The rear tires will bump the opening (if not perfect, which doing it twice I was not) and it does push the car to the side so centered. Winch would be easier though.

We have someone i camp with they have zero, it rubs all the way past the door on a Universal trailer, i have a 1'' per side, but if it is not perfect i send it, I have STU Tires, no issues with the side walls, 

Just put some grease on the tires.  :classic_biggrin:

My frame is pretty much black now from rubbing.  Whatever, better than changing tires.

Just run that sucker up in there!!!!!!

My frame is pretty much black now from rubbing.  Whatever, better than changing tires.

Just run that sucker up in there!!!!!!
I’ve seen a few folks dust their Mendi 2Ds using reverse to get a stuck car out…

I’ve seen a few folks dust their Mendi 2Ds using reverse to get a stuck car out…
Fortunately, it gets centered driving it in. Then I can push it out by hand.

So how wide do you need? Just enough to get sand car in? I put new wheels and tires on and debating whether I should modify the rear door opening. I now have 1/16th" of free space. Good enough? It will go, but would you go to the trouble of widening opening?
If a tire loses some air that's gone and your car is stuck inside. 1/16" wouldn't be enough for me to be comfortable.

Back