TJ's 2011 Silverado 2500 HD (Duramax/Allison) Solid Axle Swap

tjZ06

Reaction score
I bought this truck new in October of 2010, and I've always thought about doing a Solid Axle Swap (SAS) on it.  For years it towed my 5'ers, so going big and SAS didn't make sense, and it wasn't in the budget anyway.  Ever since we moved over to RVs though, it's mostly just been a weekend driver, or used to move bumper-pull trailers around.  Recently I decided to use it as my "Overlanding" rig, and installed a Fourwheel Campers Hawk pop-up in it: 

messages_0 (46).jpeg

messages_0 (45).jpeg

messages_0 (44).jpeg

messages_0 (43).jpeg

messages_0 (42).jpeg

244715152_880680865919096_320342640039726376_n.jpg

244739085_1488083748227859_6425848587147240741_n.jpg

245292009_383647920128235_8234805622689606908_n.jpg

244751552_291040822624306_3697285246440550365_n.jpg

Now, I debated a lot about buying a new rig for this job.  I was considering new RAM Power Wagons, or maybe a new Ford F250 Tremor with the 7.3 "Godzilla" gasser.  Both would be great for the job, and have the advantage of starting solid axle.  I love the new RAM interior too.  At the end of the day though, I have my truck, kit's been paid for for ages, and it was mostly just sitting.  Also, being diesel and deleted, and having a 60 gallon fuel tank in it (replacing the stock tank, obviously an in-bed wouldn't be an option w/ the FWC) it gives me range the gassers just wouldn't.  There's also something to be said for not taking a brand new truck out wheeling and getting it trail-striped up - not that I'm not going to cry like a little girl as I get more chips and stripes on this one.  

As for what's in the truck now, it's a been a slow evolution, if you will, but it's nicely modded:

• 60 gallon stock-replacement fuel tank (honestly, I forget if it's a Titan or TransferFlo - a buddy of mine had a '11 that was a SEMA truck for a few years, one year he was sponsored by one brand, the next year the other so I got the tank cheap when he swapped) 
  • FASS Titanium Lift Pump w/ Dual Filtration/Water Separator 
  • BANKS CAI
  • Catless "5 inch" Downpipe (the quotes are there because it's not 5" right off the turbo, there's simply no way a true 5" would fit between the turbo and firewall) 
  • Full 5" Exhaust (w/ Muffler) 
  • Cognito ~5" Lift
  • Method HD wheels w/ 35x12.5-18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
  • Custom Tuning 
  • H&S Black Maxx (used just for gauges at this point) on custom A-pillar 
  • Black Alcantara Headliner and accent panels (very clean, subtle and not Gucci 😉
  • Full custom system with 2 10"s and all Hertz components, subs and amps along w/ a Alpine 8" HU that included a new trim panel to fit with a stock appearance 
  • Amp Steps
  • Some finned rear diff cover (I forget the brand, took me a while to find a nice one with no branding) 
  • Lots of rock chips thanks to thousands of miles off-pavement in Idaho and CA, and lots of Glamis recoveries with all 4 tires blazing 

So, what are the plans? 

• WFO Solid Axle Swap set around 6" of total lift 
  • Fox Coilovers (front, staying leaf rear with Fox remote resis) 
  • Dana 60 w/ 4.88s, ARB Locker 
  • Rear re-gear to 4.88s, ARB Locker 
  • New Rear Spring Pack (to match height, all lift in spring pack, no blocks - probably not going with the Deaver pack since I'll have the weight of the FWC we'll do a custom pack) 
  • Free-Spin kit on D60
  • New wheels (probably stay w/ the same model of the Methods, but move "down" to a 17" wheel) 
  • 37x12.5-17" Toyo Open Country M/Ts (might go 13.5" width, haven't decided) 
  • WFO T-case Clocking Kit
  • Custom Driveshafts 

Some other things I'll have WFO (or somebody else) look into seeing if they can build will be:

• Skid for the giant fuel tank 
  • Skid/protection for the FASS and filters (it's already tucked pretty damn high on the frame rail, I need to get under there but IIRC the filters barely hang below the frame rail, still I'd like 'em more protected) 
  • Hidden Winch Mount (I kinda hate all the bumper options for these trucks) 

And other things I ordered to go with this setup:

Here's a quick vid that gives a run-down on WFO's SAS, and also goes over the options they have to deal with the GM 8x180mm bolt pattern as well as ABS tone rings.  The vid is old, so if you go with a solution that moves you to 8x170mm (such as the Free-Spin kit I'm doing) then they just re-drill the rear axles, vs. going with adapters: 

And finally, a couple questions for y'all:

• Do you know of a CLEAN looking '11-14 D'max front bumper with winch mounting?  I hate the giant chin under-bite look of most of 'em 
  • Wrap the camper to match the truck better (either silver, or maybe a charcoal gray), or wrap the truck to match the camper (IDK if I could go all-khaki, but maybe a "flip" of the camper colors with mostly black with a khaki stripe?)? 

-TJ

How much travel/ articulation will you get with those coilovers. 
I just recently watched a video by CJC about how little travel coilovers allow on solid axle trucks. 

This truck is already super bad ass and I can't wait to see it finished. I love the camper and would love to build something similar for those quick get aways or weekend fishing trips. Your toys are always over the top so this should be cool to watch. 

TJ is the man. I just can't keep up with all the transformations he's got going on. This is going to be bad ass and fun to watch. I would kill for that camper but my cheap ass won't allow it. lol

I had ORU in Burbank do one for me, it was perfect. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again if I owned a GM truck. With that said my 2021 F250 is amazing, by far the best towing 3/4 ton I have driven. You can get all your money back on your truck in this crazy market but finding a new one without the stupid mark up might be a challenge. 

Sick truck, but there's a few companies that make really nice, beefy coilover swaps that will keep the plush ride that you have now. My previous truck had a solid axle and the ride is chit compared to what you have. Just curious why?

Are you having WFO to the SAS, or buying the kit and having your buddy that did all the work to you WJ do it?

I just recently watched a video by CJC about how little travel coilovers allow on solid axle trucks. 
Not positive on travel numbers with the final setup, at the 6" height WFO runs a 8" travel c/o, but that's not necessarily wheel travel.  To be clear, this isn't a "long travel" or baja setup.  It's also not meant to be an articulation ramp hero, or even a hardcore crawler.  I want good, smooth, well-dampened travel and we're going to focus the setup/tune on taming washboard roads, not jumping the thing. 😉

That said, I fundamentally disagree that C/O's limit articulation potential.  If done properly, they're not any more limiting than a shock and separate coil would be.  My WJ has C/Os and triple bypasses on the front, a setup that some ppl will tell you "doesn't articulate" and just the bypasses w/ separate coils on the rear.  I think it flexes aight:

A_WJ_A5.jpg

A_WJ_A2.jpg

A_WJ1.jpg

This truck is already super bad ass and I can't wait to see it finished. I love the camper and would love to build something similar for those quick get aways or weekend fishing trips. Your toys are always over the top so this should be cool to watch. 
Thanks!  Quick getaways are *mostly* what this rig will be all about.  But, I do plan at least a couple week-long trips with it in '22. 

TJ is the man. I just can't keep up with all the transformations he's got going on. This is going to be bad ass and fun to watch. I would kill for that camper but my cheap ass won't allow it. lol
No, you the man and that's the problem...

Having WFO do it.  Being their kit, nobody better to do it.  Plus, the guy that did my WJ is still rebuilding after his house burned down in the Creek Fire, and a lot of his time goes into that and the community.  He's really not taking on projects right now, and even though I know he'd do it if I asked I don't see a reason for it. 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to put the coilover issue on your radar. Obviously they can be done correctly. But allot of “kits” aren’t so great. 

Your truck is already bad ass. Look forward to seeing the progress. 

how much was that camper? I heard they are pricey little bastards. Like same cost as a dam Toyhauler pricey. 

Always liked your truck.  Its the reason I built my 13 on the cognito and 35s.  Looking forward to watching it evolve.  

And to hijack, if anyone can pm me with how to delete my LML with today's epa crackdowns I would appreciate it!  I don't have to test for emissions where I'm registered.  

WFO’s kit works really well.  I’ve had it on my 06 lbs for 60k miles now. I have 10inch travel ads coilovers on mine,but cleared 37’s fine. It surprises a lot of people with how capable it is off road.

It doesn’t ride as good as the ifs but it’s really close. It rides way better than it did with cranked torsion  bars. WFO told me I wouldn’t need a front sway bar and I ran it without a swaybar for the first 40k miles- I’ll never do that again. Towing heavy with out the swaybar was a constant white knuckle experience. 

I can go on an on about how good the WFO kit is and how much I’ve enjoyed it. You won’t regret converting it over, worth every penny. 

These pics are from a trip to Teluride and then Moab that we did about a year and a half ago. I’ll try to post some videos.

FB80F92F-38E8-4897-9436-18B1E6B5FD04.jpeg

C4BF88FA-3C7B-4C49-8EC3-929DBF06C862.jpeg

F298B31B-E373-4370-A47B-023FC16BC70B.jpeg

It doesn’t have a lot of up travel but mine droops for days. Very similar to an XJ I used to have. The up travel is mostly limited to the axle hitting the trackbar or drag link/pitman arm. The radius arm links can also hit the frame- found that out while recovering my broken down sand car out in the dunes. 

TJ, you have allot of cool toys in your collection. Since I don’t post on the Speed thread. I got to ask? You have a bitchen Jeep, RV, now this truck. But your getting upset about a few grand in accessories you pre-paid for on your Speed UTV?  

Come on man! You have too many cool projects & sounds like the funds to be thinking or worrying about some accessories, on what will be the coolest UTV when released, in the next 2,3,4,5 months. Forget about it and build your bad ass truck! By the time your don’t the Speed car will probably be getting released? 

I just wanted to put the coilover issue on your radar. Obviously they can be done correctly. But allot of “kits” aren’t so great. 

Your truck is already bad ass. Look forward to seeing the progress. 

how much was that camper? I heard they are pricey little bastards. Like same cost as a dam Toyhauler pricey. 
The camper was about $36k plus fees.  It was a brand new '20 floor model at their showroom out here in Woodside (which is also their assembly plant, install shop, etc.).  They were only letting it go because they had a new '22 model slated to take its spot on the floor, it's pretty rare to actually find an "in stock" unit they'll sell.  Otherwise, wait-time is 1yr+ and the prices are going up ~20% due to manufacturing costs, labor costs, etc. (thanks Obiden).  I wouldn't have picked this color exterior, but it was otherwise optioned just how I wanted (relatively low-option, side-dinette which IMHO is the best floorplan Hawk, no outside awnings and stuff that I'd never use and IMHO are counter-productive to the whole idea of simplicity and super-quick setup/takedown).  

I suppose that's "entry level toy hauler" money, which "feels" extreme for something with no bathroom.  But, it's really the very best in the game and I know ppl still using FWCs from the 70s and 80s and they've truly used them off road.  The alternatives aren't any cheaper, perhaps more expensive at times and just can't compete w/ the original for what I wanted.  FWC does offer "shell" models without all the build-outs, or "Project M" which is more of a bed-cap design but still has their killer pop-up functionality.  It's a good bit lighter (my camper, as equipped is 1180lbs) and cheaper... and a great option for a more basic shelter.  

Always liked your truck.  Its the reason I built my 13 on the cognito and 35s.  Looking forward to watching it evolve.  

And to hijack, if anyone can pm me with how to delete my LML with today's epa crackdowns I would appreciate it!  I don't have to test for emissions where I'm registered.  
Thanks!  Let's see your '13.  FWIW, I don't even think I know of anybody that'll delete them, or provide the tune anymore.  Yet another reason to keep this one. 

This is a For Sale thread right?
C'mon, man, you know the thing.  This is the one vehicle not f3r sail... unless somebody wants to pay $100k for it, then sure this is a f0re sell post. 

Incorrigible. 
Duh? 

WFO’s kit works really well.  I’ve had it on my 06 lbs for 60k miles now. I have 10inch travel ads coilovers on mine,but cleared 37’s fine. It surprises a lot of people with how capable it is off road.

It doesn’t ride as good as the ifs but it’s really close. It rides way better than it did with cranked torsion  bars. WFO told me I wouldn’t need a front sway bar and I ran it without a swaybar for the first 40k miles- I’ll never do that again. Towing heavy with out the swaybar was a constant white knuckle experience. 

I can go on an on about how good the WFO kit is and how much I’ve enjoyed it. You won’t regret converting it over, worth every penny. 

These pics are from a trip to Teluride and then Moab that we did about a year and a half ago. I’ll try to post some videos.

View attachment 21390

View attachment 21391

View attachment 21392

It doesn’t have a lot of up travel but mine droops for days. Very similar to an XJ I used to have. The up travel is mostly limited to the axle hitting the trackbar or drag link/pitman arm. The radius arm links can also hit the frame- found that out while recovering my broken down sand car out in the dunes. 
Dude, super awesome rig, and thanks for posting!  Awesome to actually hear from somebody with a WFO setup.  It's interesting they set you up with the 10" travel C/O's but set lower and on 37"s.  That would explain the awesome droop!  Did you ask for the 10"s, or did they suggest them?  I might have to see about that.  Overall I'm trying to stay as low as possible to properly clear the 37"s since I have the FWC... but some great droop is always welcome (see my WJ above, lol). 

How did it do in the dunes doing recovery?  Mine has gone out a few times and did surprisingly well on the 35"s and IFS when you consider how heavy they are. 

TJ, you have allot of cool toys in your collection. Since I don’t post on the Speed thread. I got to ask? You have a bitchen Jeep, RV, now this truck. But your getting upset about a few grand in accessories you pre-paid for on your Speed UTV?  

Come on man! You have too many cool projects & sounds like the funds to be thinking or worrying about some accessories, on what will be the coolest UTV when released, in the next 2,3,4,5 months. Forget about it and build your bad ass truck! By the time your don’t the Speed car will probably be getting released? 
My accessories and warranty were ~$11K.  I am fortunate to be in a place where I can let that ride for a year and have it not "hurt" me, but hey it's still a chunk 'o change.  But really, it's more about principle.  A deposit is just that, and I am fine sitting on that indefinitely.  But don't "sell" me parts and warranty for a car you can't deliver and collect up-front, that's just poor business and I'm only okay with it for so long (I paid in Oct of '20... so we're well past a year now). 

Tj your f**%ing nuts! That is all I am going to say… love you bro..
Haha, you're not wrong vato! 

-TJ

My accessories and warranty were ~$11K.  I am fortunate to be in a place where I can let that ride for a year and have it not "hurt" me, but hey it's still a chunk 'o change.  But really, it's more about principle.  A deposit is just that, and I am fine sitting on that indefinitely.  But don't "sell" me parts and warranty for a car you can't deliver and collect up-front, that's just poor business and I'm only okay with it for so long (I paid in Oct of '20... so we're well past a year now). 
I get it, and I 100% percent agree with you on the warranty part as they have no upfront costs on building or offering the warranty. I never understood or agreed the warranty having to be paid in full before taking possession. I actually called RGM about this as I chose not to buy the warranty. I asked that if the warranty was needed to show a customer demand for the warranty company. Why not just take a $25 deposit so the warranty company sees the demand, and the $25 payment shows the customer is committed to purchasing at the time of delivery? What I was told by the office (not Robby or Todd) is that the warranty was itemized as a dealer accessory and so they were requesting all accessories be paid for upfront. Then it was mentioned about it being able to be rolled in to financing, which made no sense to me because no one has done financing yet, that I know of? I’m a cash buyer so there was no financing discussions with me.  

The real accessories, I see both sides. Yes it’s odd that we were asked to pay in full, but I get they need some protection on initial investment, and it was not a requirement that you had to buy accessories. Except they require you to buy the brake in kit, which is an accessory. That part was very odd to me too. 

Alright sorry for hi-jacking your Chevy 2500 SAS. Btw I like the FWC Hawk camper. Love the idea of just get in and go vs all the class A RV stuff needed to just go. Just don’t know if I would be ok with no pooper? Also how’s the insulation on the soft sides? I’m guessing it’s cold in the mornings? 

Btw I like the FWC Hawk camper. Love the idea of just get in and go vs all the class A RV stuff needed to just go. Just don’t know if I would be ok with no pooper? Also how’s the insulation on the soft sides? I’m guessing it’s cold in the mornings? 
Yeah, the USS Broverland (my little adventure trailer that I took on that 800 mile Idaho trip, a Utah trip, a few trips within CA, etc.) doesn't have a p00per either. 

20210620_131851.jpg

20211015_161230.jpg

My bathroom solution is this:

CLEANWASTE45519R-Recovered_300x.jpg

Plus either this:

e301818f-69ae-453c-ba59-d505b3d27b4d_1.ff54d00e01531fe40eca61cfb93717d2.jpeg

Or this:

51xAG9lLEPS._AC_SY350_.jpg

The 2-room deal is nice because it gives me room to change 'n stuff which obviously the little trailer didn't have room for.  It also is meant to be used as a shower, with an open mesh floor on one side and a water bladder (which is black, the idea being you fill it and place it in the sun, but the USS Broverland had a water heater, as does the FWC Hawk so I could just fill it with hot water) to act as a gravity shower.  I never actually used it for showering though, to be honest.  With the FWC it's probably overkill, and it's a bit more to setup/take down on trips where we move daily.  That's where the little pop-up comes in, and that's what I actually took on my 800 mile Idaho trip.  But if I'm being honest, I never took it out of the package the whole trip.  I'd just take that throne deal and wonder-off into the woods.  And I just changed standing next to my trailer or Jeep.  I'm pretty confident nobody on my trips is interested in seeing me change, and if they want to, hey good for them.

There is a company that makes a shower tent for the FWC that looks quick and easy to deploy, and is right where the outdoor shower hookup is: 

DSC02820.JPG

But like everything else in the world right now they're infinitely back-ordered, or stuck on a boat. 

EDIT: I'm glad you inspired me to look, ^this^ is actually showing in-stock and I got my order in! 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Back