Things to check when looking at a sandcar?

Congrats on the New car it Looks Great.. My buddy did the electric powersteering on his awhile back and it was a low cost add but as everyone else has said go run it and see first. You will get Miles of smiles with that car.. Congrats again

Congrats.  If it is truly a solid car to begin with, you can use your "rebuild" budget to knock the ugl....update it's appearance...

Great looking rail.  I had a SL Squirt, they're solid.  I'm tall and was surprised how much room there was for a smaller platform.  What'd you end up paying?

Thanks all! I now own a squirt. No squirt jokes @latinlover . Special thanks to Jeff and Sean who took a last minute phone call.
You're welcome. Glad you called Sean, he's a wealth of information. Congrats on the car.

Never buy a car at night, look at the car in the middle of the day. Make sure you have plenty of time to look at it , drive it up the street.  Take the aditude that maybe this is not the car for me and not I have to have this car

congrats you don't need front breaks or power steering.  Harvey at glamis fab was selling and installing electric power steering kits in the dunes if you decide to do a upgrade.

Now you’ve got your buggy, what’s next?

After going over every inch of the buggy in your garage adding fluids, tightening bolts, zip tying loose wires (wiping the Jizz stains off it… you’re ready to take her out.

The absolute best bang for your buck tune up is tire air pressure adjustment. Air pressure for paddle tires / fronts preference varies widely with those who love to slide (drift) versus those who want to “stick” to the sand.

A good starting point is 11lbs of air all the way around then adjust from there. Over simplified being the more air you take out of the front the more precise (grab) the steering will be. The more you add in the rear the less traction you’ll have.

My tire pressure varied from buggy to buggy I’ve owned, My SU (4 seat V8) had 8lbs up front and 17lbs in the back (I love to plant the front end and slide the back around without using a turning brake).

Tuning air pressure is best done by establishing a track and running it repeatedly at your speed driving the way you like versus adjusting based on rides with others in the line up.

If you do power steering seriously consider EPS ( Electric Power Steering).

If your buggy is running great and you have a few dollars to throw at it the money would be better spent on having your suspension tuned instead of trying to make your motor faster.

My $ .15 cents

Appreciate all the responces and advise. I'll address the things suggested to check as I have time to check things.

First on the list of things to figure out is why I cannot find 3rd and 4th gear, when in neutral it feels like the shift knob will not go right enough to get to where the 3rd and 4th gates would be. Looking down at the shaft that goes to the transaxle below the shifter , when in neutral the shaft does not rotate any futher past where 1st and 2nd are. I cannot move the shifter enough the other direction to get to where reverse should be.

So where do I start to diagnose this problem? What information or pictures would be helpful to post?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scratch that, I am going to start new threads for each issue/problem so it is easier to follow.

Congrats on the new car that should make you a great car I can tell you from experience you will have bugs to work out and then the upgrades to make  it your car. Sure you will find you just can leave it alone there are tons of things you can do to personalize the car that are good improvements. Remember sandcars are not without a lot of maintenance but the smiles per mile make it all worth it . Congrats again man enjoy. 😎

Back