Things to check when looking at a sandcar?

EastMT

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for what a first time sandcar buyer should be checking besides looking for cracks in the frame and odd noises from the transaxle?

If possible, take some one with you. A ton of knowledge on here, and there are many ways to get screwed on a first time purchase. 

If your in the inland empire area, I can possibly look at a car or 2 after work, and in sure others on here are willing as well.

Steering box, the slider could be loose in the groove requiring an expensive rebuild or replacement.  Heim joints and suspension bolts should be checked.  My last used sand car I refused to even take it out until I replaced all the bolts in the suspension.  Good thing I did as several were loose and one was probably ready to break.  If possible have someone check the trans for you, as it can be a huge expense.  CV's and shocks can get expensive if there are issues.

You are almost always going to have to put some money in a new to you car, so budget accordingly.

If possible, take some one with you. A ton of knowledge on here, and there are many ways to get screwed on a first time purchase. 

If your in the inland empire area, I can possibly look at a car or 2 after work, and in sure others on here are willing as well.
I appreciate the offer but this one is not close to the greater Sandcar capital of Southern Gavifornia or Arizona. What are examples of the "get screwed" things to look for?

Steering box, the slider could be loose in the groove requiring an expensive rebuild or replacement.  Heim joints and suspension bolts should be checked.  My last used sand car I refused to even take it out until I replaced all the bolts in the suspension.  Good thing I did as several were loose and one was probably ready to break.  If possible have someone check the trans for you, as it can be a huge expense.  CV's and shocks can get expensive if there are issues.

You are almost always going to have to put some money in a new to you car, so budget accordingly.
Thanks! So do you grab and try to shake or wiggle the steering slider to check for wear or how do you check the steering box? Is there any way to check the shocks?

I have budgeted for and expect repairs and upgrades.

You can grab the top of each tire and try to move it back and forth, if they move the hubs need service/to be looked at/poss bearing problems. Jack the car up, its easier to see movement.

Look for obvious leaks. pull the dip stick, if the oil is dirty/black it may give you an idea of the owners maintenance and upkeep on the car.

Condition of the belts, do they pull easy?

Heim's, tight or loose

Movement in the bushings/tabs. Loose bolts 

Take the air cleaner off and see if there is dust/sand in the intake

Drive the car and go thru all the gears

To check CV's, jack the rear of the car off the ground and start it while in 1st.

Any clicking/noise is no bueno.  Could be CVs, could be bearing in trans.

Driving will tell you about the rest of the gears.

Leaking shocks, cracks around frame.  Look close around trailing arm tabs.

Any teflon coming out of uniballs/heims etc  means they are bad.

Agree with matt86m on how to check hubs both front/rear.

Turn everything on to make sure nothing is shorting and blowing fuses/relays.

Warm car up completely and get to operating temp to make sure fans work/no overheating.

Make a check list too! 

Don't know how many times I thought to myself, I'll remember! And forgot 1/2 of it or more.

Got a buddy that can go with you? Even if he doesn't know sandcars, if he knows toys he can look at things from a different perspective. He is removed from the "that could be mine" and may look at it with a more critical eye

Your savings and checking 😆

Ok ok, a working reverse, going into all gears, fans coming on at temps, cracks at or near welds, repeated frame repairs 

If it has a fuel cell, see how old it is. If the foam/cell is old, that can be an expensive repair. 

You can grab the top of each tire and try to move it back and forth, if they move the hubs need service/to be looked at/poss bearing problems. Jack the car up, its easier to see movement.

Look for obvious leaks. pull the dip stick, if the oil is dirty/black it may give you an idea of the owners maintenance and upkeep on the car.

Condition of the belts, do they pull easy?

Heim's, tight or loose

Movement in the bushings/tabs. Loose bolts 

Take the air cleaner off and see if there is dust/sand in the intake

Drive the car and go thru all the gears
Great suggestions, thanks!

To check CV's, jack the rear of the car off the ground and start it while in 1st.

Any clicking/noise is no bueno.  Could be CVs, could be bearing in trans.

Driving will tell you about the rest of the gears.

Leaking shocks, cracks around frame.  Look close around trailing arm tabs.

Any teflon coming out of uniballs/heims etc  means they are bad.

Agree with matt86m on how to check hubs both front/rear.

Turn everything on to make sure nothing is shorting and blowing fuses/relays.

Warm car up completely and get to operating temp to make sure fans work/no overheating.
Got them writtem down, thanks!

Your savings and checking 😆

Ok ok, a working reverse, going into all gears, fans coming on at temps, cracks at or near welds, repeated frame repairs 
This is a budgeted purchase, but thanks for the  concern. :) Thanks for the tips.

If it has a fuel cell, see how old it is. If the foam/cell is old, that can be an expensive repair. 
How old is to old and needs to be replaced? Do all fuel tanks in sandcars have foam? What is a guestimate on a new fuel cell?

anticipate to spend 10-20% of the cars purchase price on Prep/Fix 

or you could do the opposite like me and buy a car for 20 and put 30 into it 
Thanks, got 20% in reserve for repairs and prep.

If the seller says, "babied, wife driven, never jumped or driven hard" what that really means is,

Most likely been driven like it was stolen!

:lmao:

Imo, any decent car should come with a full service history. That way you will know what has been gone through and when . . .

Back