The Fishing Hole

Anyone use a fishing kayak? Thinking about picking one up, however, I have no idea where to start. I’m a bigger guy, 6’1” 250 and want to be stable. 

Andrew
I’ve got a friend that has one and he’s about your size. I think he’s used it once and so did his son. 

anyone got the skinny on Lake HAVASU or the CO river?

My dad (lives in Havasu now) and I, need to figure it out. We used to fish all the time when I was kid and then did bigger week trips as life progressed. We haven't been in a few years now. He just moved to the river/lake and we are not lake fishers. When I run my jet boat up the river I can see trout and bass in the water, soooo.....

Used to have a boss who vacationed in havasu the entire month October. They had a center console fishing boat and chased the Strippers, but I've got no clue on them.
I've herd the blue gill and sun fish get large, when I was kid we used to lake fish Isabella for blue gill and crappy.

back in day pics

DSC01199.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

DSCF1248.JPG

Finally got my hands on one of these bluefin tunas!

View attachment 35873

Way to go! I'm still trying for one over 100lbs. Heading out on the Enterprise 6 to 6 trip on Friday for what I thought would be some fun light tackle island fishing. They landed a couple 100+ lb bfts today out of a bunch of hookups so now I gots to bring some big guns and some light tackle stuff for the island!

Might be a good time to get your little boat out in that Catalina channel Matt. Weather looks great on Friday.

Way to go! I'm still trying for one over 100lbs. Heading out on the Enterprise 6 to 6 trip on Friday for what I thought would be some fun light tackle island fishing. They landed a couple 100+ lb bfts today out of a bunch of hookups so now I gots to bring some big guns and some light tackle stuff for the island!

Might be a good time to get your little boat out in that Catalina channel Matt. Weather looks great on Friday.
Good luck Jeff. We were out last week, went to the 267/279 but the fish moved to the 14 mile bank. I'm hopping to put a tuna on the boat this year!

i-K8cpQXM-X2.jpg

Can't get this site to work with my Smugmug link.

I'll try later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Jeff. We were out last week, went to the 267/279 but the fish moved to the 14 mile bank. I'm hopping to put a tuna on the boat this year!
We ended up fishing in Santa Monica bay for barracuda, now what I really wanted to do (i like island fishing) but the captain said the sea lions at the island are worse then ever and with reports of limit fishing on the 'cudas decided to do that. We did alright. Looked for tuna a little on the way home. FYI the crew said they have been hitting on those Nomad mac things trolled WAY back. Like a couple hundred yards.

We ended up fishing in Santa Monica bay for barracuda, now what I really wanted to do (i like island fishing) but the captain said the sea lions at the island are worse then ever and with reports of limit fishing on the 'cudas decided to do that. We did alright. Looked for tuna a little on the way home. FYI the crew said they have been hitting on those Nomad mac things trolled WAY back. Like a couple hundred yards.
We were trolling spreader bars and Madmacs 800' & 650' back. I just bought a nice 50w from a friend so I can put a daisy chain way back.

@wapawekka I see a Golden Yellow Eye! On my bucket list

Last edited by a moderator:
@wapawekka I see a Golden Eye! On my bucket list
If you are talking about the Yellow Eye in his picture - you can't keep any yellow eye this year. At least, not in my area. Maybe he was fishing somewhere else. The regs vary by region and location up there. 

If you are talking about the Yellow Eye in his picture - you can't keep any yellow eye this year. At least, not in my area. Maybe he was fishing somewhere else. The regs vary by region and location up there. 
Yellow, yes, not golden. Thanks. My buddy caught one last year, cool fish

Yellow, yes, not golden. Thanks. My buddy caught one last year, cool fish
They are awesome. Lots of people call them Red Snapper but they are Yellow Eye Rockfish. We have caught several really nice ones this year but can't keep them. You have to send them back to the bottom with a deep water release so they don't just sit on the surface and die. Another unfortunate regulation driven by commercial over fishing and by-catch destruction. 

@wapawekka I see a Golden Yellow Eye! On my bucket list

It was a good looking fish. First time I’d ever seen one. Can’t keep in Alaska either. We hooked him up to the deep sea release and sent him back down. 

It was a good looking fish. First time I’d ever seen one. Can’t keep in Alaska either. We hooked him up to the deep sea release and sent him back down. 
Good deal. I was talking about Alaska too. I fish in the Ketchikan area. Where were you? Looks like you were a little farther north based on your glacier photo.

Good deal. I was talking about Alaska too. I fish in the Ketchikan area. Where were you? Looks like you were a little farther north based on your glacier photo.
Glacier photo was when we spent the day in Juneau after we landed. I believe that was Mendocino glacier. Fishing lodge was in Elfin Cove. Alaska is beautiful but man the weather gloomy all the time. 

Got a fish story for ya!

Set out with one of my boat partners and another friend out of Dana Point. Busy for a Friday. Got a scoop & ice and we were off. Headed to the East end of the island. Decided to troll about half way there while looking for paddy's and maybe get lucky on a blind strike. Got a daisy chain and a MadScad in tow.

Lots of radio traffic on 72, entertaining, not a lot of spots producing, should have been out Wednesday.

Fast forward to noon, haven't seen a damn thing all day, we finally spot a small paddy with jumping Doroado (5-7lbs) make a pass for nada, pull in the trollers and make a couple drifts by the paddy, we are the only boat. Dodo's move off but come back a few times, we are fly lining deans and my boat partner Brian gets picked up.

Line goes tight and its on, but this is no 5-7lb dodo, he's on a 20lb rod n reel, Torium 20, braid with 100yd mono

He's getting down to the bottom of the spool and I start the boat and now we are chasing the fish. This goes on for the next 3 hours! BFT are a$$holes! Brian get's on the bow and that made things easier. He got the tuna 15' from the boat a half a dozen times but it would just peel off the mono again. Buddy is in the tower and can see the fish, est 36'' long. We tried everything we could think of, chased him, let him just pull, tried to run him down! He was tail wrapped for a bit, could feel it and see it once when he was close to the boat.

Brian kept inching the drag just a bit tighter but we couldn't break the damn fish.

Brian is pulling as he had been and suddenly he rocks back and the line goes limp! Pulled the hook!!!

1/0 hook is still tied on the line, great knot, just wore a hole in his face and shook at the right time and he was gone.

This would have been the first BFT on our boat.

Win some lose some.

Pretty bumpy ride back in licking our wounds!

Back