Summer upgrades that got a little out hand...1.5 year upgrade

I went down the same rabbit hole, several times now. It works out in the end.  You're doing some very nice fab work, keep it up and continue to update the forum on your progress. This is an awesome build thread for sure. 

Nice wastegate priority on the secondary. Didn’t even notice it was a twin scroll, nicely done. 
Wastegates probably should have been a little bit larger. At low boost it still managed to make a pound more of boost than what was really wanted. That could have been a result of the springs just not being exact too.

I went down the same rabbit hole, several times now. It works out in the end.  You're doing some very nice fab work, keep it up and continue to update the forum on your progress. This is an awesome build thread for sure. 
The car is currently running. But its currently held together with a lot of zip ties. I didn't want to miss any more trips. 

I had to shorten the charge side of the turbo about an 1". I then chucked the V-band portion into the lathe and trued it back up. I also sanded the throttle body to get the angle closer to lining up with the intercooler. I welded the other side of the motion race works quick seal clamps to the mutilated throttle body. I couldn't find a picture of that.

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IDLD3166.JPG

Wastegates probably should have been a little bit larger. At low boost it still managed to make a pound more of boost than what was really wanted. That could have been a result of the springs just not being exact too.
Was it slowly creeping on the top end, or rock solid, just a pound high? Creep would be too small, plateau of boost, yeah, where you put the vacuum lines, etc, etc, makes a difference.  

If you have the reference line on the manifold, moving it to the compressor outlet will drop it by a pound or 2…

But I assume you’re not unwelcome to moar horsetorques :biggrin:

Was it slowly creeping on the top end, or rock solid, just a pound high? Creep would be too small, plateau of boost, yeah, where you put the vacuum lines, etc, etc, makes a difference.  

If you have the reference line on the manifold, moving it to the compressor outlet will drop it by a pound or 2…

But I assume you’re not unwelcome to moar horsetorques :biggrin:
I have my boost reference on the charger side of the intercooler. It peaked at 7.2 pounds with 6 psi springs in them. I wasn’t too worried about it. One day I will flip the switch to see how the high boost works which should be 50% duty cycle. 

the horse torques are much appreciated 

8B14D982-69F5-49AF-9A22-A375F069D113.jpeg

FE4AFB2D-BDDD-4A55-B432-410AD722A248.jpeg

The next task was figuring out how I was going to build the intake and exhaust downpipe/uppine. I ended up using 5" 304 stainless steel. Mandrel bent tubes of that size are hard to find and very expensive when you do find them. I used my bandsaw to make all of the pie cuts...very inconsistent and it ovaled the tube in the clamps. 

Here I was thinking I was going to totally kick ass on the welds with all of the prep and purgingIMG_2645.JPGIMG_2598.JPGIMG_2642.JPG; but ended up burning it pretty good. Good thing the stainless still polished out.

BBFP1943.JPG

GCYY4694.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

You have exhaust that the Cummins guys can be jealous of.  That’s rad on a sand car, I bet it gets some attention. 

You have exhaust that the Cummins guys can be jealous of.  That’s rad on a sand car, I bet it gets some attention. 
The exhaust/down pipe is inspired by those large caterpiller backhoes.

At this point it was time to tear the engine down to gap the rings. The original top ring gap was .014"...That's probably why these things are temperamental when the get too hot. I calculated the ring gap to a very safe and rather unnecessary .026" for the top ring and .028" for the bottom. I didn't feel like dealing with the torque to yield head bolts and went with the ARP head studs. So, stock rods and pistons just with the ring gaps set for boosted applications...not how I would have preferred to do that; but that's what budgets hold us too.

Richard Holdener and Engine masters would be proud of it though.

IMG_2703.JPG

IMG_2711.JPG

IMG_2712.JPG

IMG_2713.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

Now you're just showing off. You can do it all, motor work, fab work etc.... Amazing work fun to watch..... 

Now you're just showing off. You can do it all, motor work, fab work etc.... Amazing work fun to watch..... 
Thank you! Where I bow out is the electrical. I just get everything mounted and plumbed and have my buddy wire it. 

chit’ll be fiiiiiiine. Just resist that dial-a-boom knob on the boost controller. :biggrin:
I haven’t flipped the boom switch on the controller yet so we should be good still. 

should be about 12psi on high. 

Back