Summer upgrades that got a little out hand...1.5 year upgrade

Hammond_fab

Reaction score
Chassis started life as a LaFortune Race cars score tagged class 10 chassis package when I first got it. I had gotten it running using a GM525 crate engine a 2D transaxle. After a major rebuild of the 2D I decided I didn't want to go through that costly rebuild again so I decided to pull the trans after a few trips and sell it. 

THIS IS WHERE THE SNOWBALL OF UPGRADES BEGAN.

Picture below was the last trip before its last trip.

IMG_8766.JPG

So I began the disassembly of the chassis. Took it to our local powder coater (Extreme Powder Coat) and had it sandblasted. I ended having my learning curve of trying to spray steelit through a spray...A painter I am not. But it still came out decent.

CBVA6864.JPG

DMXM9068.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

Some time goes by I get the car to a roller. I went with a white with a fine metallic I don't remember the exact color. By this point I am starting to get pumped. 

CBVA6864.JPG

IMG_1246.JPG

Before sending the body to the Powder coaters it was in pretty rough shape. Rewelded the underside and outside the entire sides of the hood was cracked. The process of filing and sanding began. Took my time to minimize the warping and kept a wet rag next to the areas I was welding. 

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1308.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

Nearly a year goes by and I get a call that my transaxle is complete and ready to pick up. I didn't wait anytime to have that thing stabbed in there. Had an expensive learning curve with clutch and flywheels that can be used with the new S4 transaxles...I have a brand new Mcleod dual disk setup sitting on my shelf if someone needs it...ordered up the centerforce dual disk through weddle.

IMG_1408.JPG

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

And then I had this great idea that I should probably turbocharge the car. Because, why not....I ordered up a single billet Aero wheel S480 turbo from VS racing after a lot of internet and youtube research. I followed a lot of Richard Holdener advice.

IMG_2122.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

I ordered up those really cheap flowtech turbo stainless headers off of amazon. I couldn't build them for $250 that's for sure. I went ahead and mounted the turbo using one of those fancy Billet Maven mounts. Got to get some learning experience purging and tig welding Stainless.

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

Ordered up an Holley Ultra low ram. The throttle body angle coming out of it was incorrect for my application so I decided I'm just going to cut this brand new $800 manifold apart. I needed to get the angle right so it would line up better with my air to water intercooler.

DKQE1343.JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

It happens so fast! We need an AA meeting that's designated for people doing upgrades to their offroad cars. 
Upgraders Anonymous? F that. :biggrin:

What’re your plans for wastegate(s)? The cast merge looks like a single gate will be difficult to pull off and still flow well enough. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgraders Anonymous? F that. :biggrin:

What’re your plans for wastegate(s)? The cast merge looks like a single gate will be difficult to pull off and still flow well enough. 
I ended up running two precision 40mm wastegates and kept the merges divided. 

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

I tried my hand at building my own air to water intercooler. I started with a Garret Core and went from there. The Tial blow off valve had to get mounted to the intercooler because there is no intake runner other than the intercooler.

It uses #12 water lines and a Meziere water pump.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2276.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2452.JPG

Back