Smog now required on older diesel coaches

xtracrispy

Reaction score
My dad has a 1996 Holiday Rambler with a 5.9 Cummins. He recently got a letter from the state stating that he now needs to get his moto home smog checked as it’s over 14,000lb gvwr. 

Anyone else run into this? Any workarounds? He hasn’t been able to get ahold of the state to find out what is even required. I offered to register it at my house since I’m in a no smog zip code but the wording in the letter sounds like that’s not even an option. 

He’s pretty disappointed as he recently got it and it was pre-smog, not any more. 

A smog check on a diesel motorhome is really not that big of a deal other than having to pay additional fees. If the DMV sends you a registration hold you will need to register your diesel on the Carb Clean Truck website. You will be asked to pay a compliance fee for 2023 and 2024 which is $62 for both years. Once you do this your registration hold will be released and you will receive your tags for 2024. As of October 2024 you will need to get an annual smog check in order to register your motorhome so basically smog checks start in 2025. Mobile services that come to your house to smog your MH currently cost $150. They take care of all the paperwork. 2010 and older receive a smoke opacity test and newer than 2010 get a OBD scan that is automatically sent to CARB. Issues start if your 2010 or older motor home smokes excessively or you have removed emissions on 2011 and newer models. Yore results may vary  :classic_biggrin: :peace:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the stock mufflers count as "emissions" equipment?  Mine came with a Turbo XL muffler officer....I swear. 

A smog check on a diesel motorhome is really not that big of a deal other than having to pay additional fees. If the DMV sends you a registration hold you will need to register your diesel on the Carb Clean Truck website. You will be asked to pay a compliance fee for 2023 and 2024 which is $62 for both years. Once you do this your registration hold will be released and you will receive your tags for 2024. As of October 2024 you will need to get an annual smog check in order to register your motorhome so basically smog checks start in 2025. Mobile services that come to your house to smog your MH currently cost $150. They take care of all the paperwork. 2010 and older receive a smoke opacity test and newer than 2010 get a OBD scan that is automatically sent to CARB. Issues start if your 2010 or older motor home smokes excessively or you have removed emissions on 2011 and newer models. Yore results may vary  :classic_biggrin: :peace:
Ours did the wife is going to AAA tomorrow with the printout from CARB  to get the tags.  CARB  didn’t forward anything to the DMV.  

Went to AAA and they couldn’t process my renewal. Paid the money grab fee for 2023/24 all is good, looks like next year we have to smog. Maybe we can get a mobile guy on the board here?!

Ours did the wife is going to AAA tomorrow with the printout from CARB  to get the tags.  CARB  didn’t forward anything to the DMV.  
Please update, I paid guido the fee and dmv did not release the hold, it’s been about 7 days. Trying to figure this out

Please update, I paid guido the fee and dmv did not release the hold, it’s been about 7 days. Trying to figure this out
If you paid your 23/24 compliance fee call the DMV and they will release the hold and send you your tags.

Hopefully the exemption works, but if not if it’s just an opacity test he might be good. It has Banks parts but I’ve never really seen it smoke even on cold start. 

That exemption makes no sense... so a 2010 or older coach that is just my motorhome I can get an exemption? 

If i recall the new carb language specifically states motorhomes must smog at all smog stops at the border and yearly if over 14k gvwr

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-passes-smog-check-regulation-heavy-duty-trucks-and-buses

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-california-requirements-road-and-road-heavy-duty-vehicles

there are two seperate overlapping carb rules

View attachment 111219
Outdated news as well and updated requirements as of 2024. Out of state MHs are exempt when coming into California.

Back