Rockwood's XJ

Rockwood

Reaction score
Haven't really done much since the crash, but here's how she sits now:

2.jpg1.jpg

The LM7 and 4L60E are waiting to drop in, but delays with parts combined with my complete lack of time to do anything means I didn't get it ready prior to Summer Jeeping. 

LM7.jpg

But, if I'm gonna limp the 4.SLO though another season in the mountains, cooling needs addressing ASAP. Biggest issue with XJs is the mechanical fan does mostly okay for higher RPM operation, but doesn't flow chit at low RPM (where my Jeep spends a lot of time working hard).  Since it's almost always towed somewhere (never towing) and you can always slow down a little, I switched to an e-fan for it.  Biggest bummer with E-fans is most don't work very well, or need lots of amperage, or whatever.  Enter the Volvo/Taurus fan, which some people have measured as much as 3,000CFM out of, and based on the gale-force winds that come out of it, I'd believe them.  Problem is, it's yuuuuge and the fan clutch pulley is in the way.

fan.jpg

Nice thing about the Volvo version is it's 2 speed (which will reduce electrical loads) and comes with a relay pack.  Scored for $30 from the Gank a Part.

Now, for shoe-horning.  To start with, belt routing was going to be a problem.  The stock belt routing requires keeping the fan pulley:

97E04062.gif

Or you won't be able to tension it.  After some brainstorming, I came up with this:

routing.png

This would ensure sufficient belt wrap and place the fan's motor (worst clearance) out of the belt's way.  The problem is 97+ XJ's didn't come with the extra idler below the AC compressor to clear the thermostat housing, so back to the Gank A Part I went

Idler.jpg

Step one was to cut the existing bearing/pulley mount off.  Step 2 was to modify the Alternator bracket to clear the belt:

Bracket.jpg

The stud going through the hole where the grinder marks are will be omitted on re-installation.  Even still, it still needed some extra clearance, so I formed it to the block by re-installing the bolt and smooshing it until it was against the block (yes, this engine is CRUSTY):

Bracket2.jpg

With belt routing out of the way, I got to work trimming the fan shroud:

Fan trimming.jpg

I filled in the bottom of the shroud with 3003 aluminum sheetmetal I had lying around and riveted to the shroud (no pics).  On top, I bent another piece of 3003 to fill in the 1/2" or so of void above the stock radiator core support.  

Reinstalled, clearance to the engine is definitely tight, but in 500 miles of wheeling, hasn't touched at all.  Amusingly, the stock 97+ XJ serpentine belt worked perfectly despite the radical change in routing.

Bracket3.jpg

clearance 2.jpg

Clearance.jpg

Temps stay nice and frosty now at low speed.  Like, I can watch the thermostat cycle no matter what I'm doing and where the AC is set, where before I always had an eye on the temps to keep it from boiling over.  AC also blows colder than a well digger's ass.  Climbing 7-10% grades in 2nd trying to wheeze that 4.SLO to maintain the speed limit does see some elevated temps (220*F vs 215*F in similar conditions previously).  I have a week-long trip to Big Bear 9-13 and temps look to be in the mid/upper 80s at 7,000'+, so it'll be put to the test for sure.

Forgot to add: ended up upgrading the alternator to the 136A ZJ job a lot of XJ guys run as a result of this fan dropping voltage at idle to the low 12s.  Old one was dying anyway.

Forgot to forgot to add: removing/installing this fan requires unbolting the AC compressor and moving it back a couple of inches.

I replaced the mechanical fan on my DMAX with two of those.  I could pull my 37' GN Toyhauler to G and back without worry (I did add a huge oil cooler too).  They do move ridiculous amounts of air. 

CRUSTY Motors are the best, just means you use them. e.g. not a Mall Queen.

Cool thread. :cheers:

Added a double DIN head unit with “CarPlay”. Nothing but the finest Chinese electronics for this Heep. :biggrin:

1E680AC5-F607-447A-B7EE-77EB06658DE3.jpeg

Amazing how easily those mounts tear....all my friends have them now.. they are amazing rigs....I'll just follow in my lowly  LJ. 

Amazing how easily those mounts tear....all my friends have them now.. they are amazing rigs....I'll just follow in my lowly  LJ. 
Yeah.  It's thin sheetmetal with the track bar and steering box centered between the nearest actual structure (coil mount and front crossmember).  Leverage on sheetmetal, plus lockers and 35s...  Yeah.

I plated on the side AND under the "frame" there.

LJs are nice platforms.  

:makerain:

Last edited by a moderator:
Successful Big Bear trip, lots of trail miles, a frantic WOT run up the hill trying to ditch my buddy resulting in mucho air time, and overall lots of smiles. 

New 2022 F-150 yanked it up the hill to 7500’ with zero issues or fuss and maximum comfort. Best Tow Pig I’ve had for this type of duty. 

1F52BB19-1065-48C4-9510-8174CD116825.jpegF309AA18-D951-44BC-9318-8E8A00FC1F0B.jpeg05CA70B8-063F-4F2B-BD1E-AAE87637D736.jpeg8CCB41C5-6347-4C28-A4B3-F2FCC6560FC0.jpegC9D5B160-CFDD-4A46-9B15-73524B794838.jpeg

Is that Dispan Springs? 
First video is Gold Mountain.  Second is the Gatekeeper at John Bull.  We did Dishpan Springs on Sunday, XJ walked through the whole trail with maybe a couple of revolutions of wheelspin :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Dishpan is fun....I've had to winch thru the waterfall on the north side of it...but I only got 33s...John bull has changed soo much...those 40s are moving rocks and earth.....

Dishpan is fun....I've had to winch thru the waterfall on the north side of it...but I only got 33s...John bull has changed soo much...those 40s are moving rocks and earth.....
Yep. Second rock garden used to be the hard line was on the right and easy on the left. Opposite now, smashed the sheeyit out of my muffler (which luckily saved the driveshaft) screwing around trying the super hard line there. 

Forgot: Taurus fan mod above worked perfectly…

Until the stock fan on the driver’s side chit the bed. Luckily, Autozone is a short drive away from camp. Coolant temps stayed in the 190* range when crawling, and only climbed to 230*F after 15 straight minutes of the WOT with the AC on max on the aforementioned scramble trying to ditch my buddy. Prior to this, 220* was standard on the trail, and any climbing meant I had to turn the AC off. 

I ripped the boot on my driveshaft going up the right side..... now the replacement boot is cracking on its own.... damn cheap stuff.. having a hell of a time finding a replacement  online..

Back