Red Bull Sand Scramble In Glamis

Giving it a watch now... can already tell it created less of a "Duner's Race" than a "who has the swingin' pair to just straight-line it in the dark and keep in the throttle" race.  I'm not saying there's no skill in that, because there is (at least, to do it without wrecking).  It's just not a "Duner's Race" in my opinion, which isn't worth much anyway.  EPO seems to be the closest there has been to a Duner's Race, but of course I've seen very few pics/vid from it and I'll probably get my pee-pee-smacked for mentioning it in public. 

-TJ
whats an EPO?

No paddles, it is in the rules.
i once had a really bad flat on a paddle (funco) and decided to run a pair of my friends 12" trailer tires  i think they were 33x12.5x15  anyways had a blast and was surprised at how fast i could still dune

wouldnt that be a hoot...no paddle day race in the dunes😆

i once had a really bad flat on a paddle (funco) and decided to run a pair of my friends 12" trailer tires  i think they were 33x12.5x15  anyways had a blast and was surprised at how fast i could still dune

wouldnt that be a hoot...no paddle day race in the dunes😆
Just don't stop. Ever. 😛  Seriously though, 12.5" widths are prob "okay" aired down.  I have run at on of SxSs in G no paddles, never even swapped 'em on my XPT last season and it's fine in 2wd but better in 4.  A sand rail, meh not as good w/o paddles but I'm sure you can get the job done. 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Just don't stop. Ever. 😛  Seriously though, 12.5" widths are prob "okay" aired down.  I have run at on of SxSs in G no paddles, never even swapped 'em on my XPT last season and it's fine in 2wd but better in 4.  A sand rail, meh not as good w/o paddles but I'm sure you can get the job done. 

-TJ
bead locks are a must and 10psi!

sounds like they are taking the fun out of it and forcing people to run in 4wd.

sounds like they are taking the fun out of it and forcing people to run in 4wd.
The UTV racers run in 4wd when they race anyway.  Never heard of any UTV racer running 2wd on purpose.  You can drift and get the ass end around in 4wd.  

The UTV racers run in 4wd when they race anyway.  Never heard of any UTV racer running 2wd on purpose.  You can drift and get the ass end around in 4wd.  
Sand Shark is correct. Even with paddles UTV is faster in 4wd. 4wd drive is a must without paddles. They will slide good with correct paddles in 4wd. If you have to much paddle they won't drift good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the were paid by Redbull to leave so the racers can have spots to camps.  LOL!
Talked to a guy yesterday who is racing in the event.  They were encouraged to camp in the flats at the "Red Bull Race Hub" .  He was talking to organizers and they are talking tons of people are expected to be camping in the area just to watch the race, he thinks it will be a bigger chit show then camp RzR.

Talked to a guy yesterday who is racing in the event.  They were encouraged to camp in the flats at the "Red Bull Race Hub" .  He was talking to organizers and they are talking tons of people are expected to be camping in the area just to watch the race, he thinks it will be a bigger chit show then camp RzR.
That would be impressive if it brought out Camp RZR crowds.  It should be a fun race to watch.  Wish I was going this weekend to go watch it. 

You couldn't pay me to camp down at Vendor's for the chit-show, but I wouldn't mind watching the race. 

-TJ

That would be impressive if it brought out Camp RZR crowds.  It should be a fun race to watch.  Wish I was going this weekend to go watch it. 
It's going to bring out the crowd we don't want out there. I guess they are even offering shuttle service from the camping area to the course, sounded like a bus to take you to Osborne.  It will be a chit show of epic proportion.

I am just pissed I am not there to :lmao:  , stuck here at work.

It's going to bring out the crowd we don't want out there. I guess they are even offering shuttle service from the camping area to the course, sounded like a bus to take you to Osborne.  It will be a chit show of epic proportion.

I am just pissed I am not there to :lmao:  , stuck here at work.
LOL!   I saw pictures of the set up on Osborne.   

So, the million dollar question: could @John@Outfront whoop all these guys if we put him in a properly setup SxS?  😉

-TJ
John is supposed to be the fastest duner in glamis! 
200.gif

John is super smooth. To me he drives a buggy like a motorcycle on a supercross track. Throttle inputs and timing are super calculated. Its not just mashing the throttle and playing catch up with the steering. Lets say hypothetically several buggies drove by doing the same exact line. John would hypothetically be noticeably quicker visually through the section, while the motor revs and overall sound is more quiet and smooth. Thats why it reminds me of supercross. They are flying through sections yet the motor isnt screaming to death and all wild sounding. Its very precise and maintains momentum. Slowing down at the right time. I saw him turn one section into a nice smooth jump where others would enter way too fast and bottom out. 

Talk to a friend that was there, said the event was great.  Promoters were super friendly and even fed them while they watched the races.  Racing was great with lots of carnage.  Looking forward to watching it on TV.  Already talk of next year of doing the finals at night under the lights???

Neighbor friend got 2nd in the pro class, props to James.

We talked to the set up crew on Osbourne Friday.

We could see the track set up from the dunes by Gecko.

I left Saturday and the flats were pretty full.

When I rolled in Thursday, there were 2 trailers.  LOL

Stayed away from the whole thing and just duned the stuff by Gecko.

I'm more so interested in the success of it all. Please keep posting on the event or when I can watch it or where. I just feel it's gotta be a good thing for Glamis no? 

we stopped by & watched a heat.  we could only see part of the course, where we were on the West side of the track.  It was pretty cool to see them mixing it up.  I did not see Osborn or the flats on Sat or Sun, so Im not sure how that was.  On thursday we stopped by Osborn on the way back from checking out Gecko, and it was full up.  They had security that made us turn around (they were cool).  they had about a dozen porta-johns up there all banded together with a huge ass ratchet strap. 

Back