Raptor or TRX

I was waiting for you to chime in. I assumed you would have owned one or both at some point. My current truck gets 11mpg with 91 octane so I'm not worried about mileage. I average about 10,000 miles a year so fuel is not a major expense. I planned on getting a Raptor R before they were released. That plan changed when I saw they were going for north of $150k. The TRX is about $20k more. I can get a super low mileage 2023 Raptor for around $83k, the TRX equivalent is just above $100k. 
Surprisingly I haven't had a Raptor of any sort.  That said, I watched a (non-R) Raptor do a killer dune recovery with a heavy ~3k lbs car on a flatbed.  It was basically stock other than 37"s and straight up mobbed a dune line with the trailer!

So, for a $20k difference I'd get the Raptor assume we're comparing super loaded to super loaded.  That said, at $83k for a used Raptor it'd be harder, since I know dealers that were selling Raptors at (or below) MSRP but I assume that has gone away now that they're not in production?  It'd be harder to pick a Raptor for only a $9k difference for a USED one vs. a fully loaded new TRX.

-TJ

FYI, I currently have a 2019 Gen 2.  Only upgrades, Icon leveling kit, Dever rear spring and SVC bump stops.  Running on Method 17", 37" Nitto tires.  Super happy with it, on road and off  road.

Most of our group are all Gen 1's and these are used primarily for off roading, not daily drivers.  This last trip, a lot of mid travel trucks as well.  I am a bit of a pussy, I like AC Seats, adaptive Cruise Control, paddle shifters and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not on this trip, but some day trips to Octillo/Borrego, Big bear.  My buddy has had them all, all generations of the Raptor and one version of the TRX.  He is an avid Off roader, ex racer.......he said the Raptor is just a far better off roader, the TRX is a powerhouse, and is fun to race around, fast as hell.  BUT, gas mileage really suffers.  He also felt the Gen 2 and newer Raptors Electronics are hard to beat, along with the 10 speed tranny.

FYI, I have never driven a TRX.
Fair 'nough, and TBH I never off roaded my TRX.  That said, I've always been a huge fan of the ZF8 speed.  It's used in everything and I've had many flavors (from the 8HP70 version in the BMW and 5.7 Hemi WK2s to the 8HP95 in the Trackhawk, TRX and I think my Cayenne to all the inbetweeners in things like the 5.7 RAM 1500 I had) and they've all ben absolutely spectacular.  I wouldn't make the 8spd a knock against the TRX personally, it's one of the best transmissions out there.  As far as electronics go, again I didn't off road my TRX so it's hard to say... but I did dumb stuff with my WK2 Trailhawk that the electronics made possible:

(yeah, that was before I lost some weight, haha)

-TJ

Mopar quality is always garbage. There’s a 2 week wait to get vehicles into dodge dealerships for service for a reason. I am a self proclaimed Ford boi though. 
I have 20 years of Mopar ownership that refutes that assertion. We were a Ferd family from the 50s until things started going off the rails in the 80s, and finally after an endless streak of lemons, my last Ferd was an Expedition that blew both head gaskets @11K, which were on national backorder because it was such an issue with the 5.4, then catastrophic trans failure @13K. Never towed, never overheated. That's just the highlights, there was plenty more.  Tried a couple GM products with really poor results, ending with Lemon Law on the last one. Since then, other than an Acura, which has been excellent, we have had a Charger, 4 pickups (3 Cummins, one Hemi), and a Grand Cherokee. All have served us well. YMMV

Raptor all the way.  The Bang and Olafson sound system in the Raptor is very good, I wish my F250 had it. 

Ever get an insurance quote for a 700hp 4wd pickup truck? I can't imagine how much that would cost.

Raptor is gonna be the better overall buy. 

TRX is cooler though. 

Oh yeah: tune on the Raptor will put it close enough to the TRX (assuming you don’t barely look at it, easy to make 1000hp on that Hellcat).

My buddy shows up today with this.  Just over 100 miles on it.  He got it in thw Midwest and had it shipped.  He got it for less than msrp, all the socal dealerships were $50k over msrp.  Wow does this thing have every option....  moon roof, heated and cooled seats all around, WICKED sound system, 700 HP, etc....  

In a related story...  mine turned 25 this month.  LOL

let's see if his makes it to 25 years and >270k miles.  LOL 

20240316_103031.jpg

20240316_133123.jpg

20240316_133102.jpg

Nice ride.   Raptors are really nice and can't go wrong with getting one.   

Never really looked at a TRX until I saw the red one in Glamis hauling the mail down the drags.  Motor work on that TRX had it screaming.   

lxfxlIP.gif

You could probably get 2 Raptor R's. Or a Raptor R for you and a regular Raptor for the wife
Sounds like a plan to me.  Too bad the wife is not on board with said plan.   Someday I will get a Raptor. 

I have owned several F150s with the Ecoboost motor and they were great.   The motor has tons of power and torque.  Ford unfortunately was not dealing when it was time for a new truck so I currently have a Ram 1500.   The Ram has been good so far.   

Sounds like a plan to me.  Too bad the wife is not on board with said plan.   Someday I will get a Raptor. 

I have owned several F150s with the Ecoboost motor and they were great.   The motor has tons of power and torque.  Ford unfortunately was not dealing when it was time for a new truck so I currently have a Ram 1500.   The Ram has been good so far.   
Driving the Raptor with the ecoboost is fun, put it in Baja mode, and use the manual shifting is super fun.........Sport mode on the street, the thing scoots.

Back