Raptor or TRX

punkur67

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new truck. I currently have a 2013 Roush raptor with the supercharged 6.2 that is rated at 590hp. Looking for something newer. I am a die hard ford guy but the 707hp of the TRX is really appealing over the 450hp of the Raptor. I would love a Raptor R but there's no way I'm paying $150k for an F150. 

Raptor 

- Looks way better than the TRX

- A little cheaper than the TRX

- Only has 450hp V6

- Better balanced and lighter

TRX

- 707 hp!

- Interior is nicer than the Raptor 

- They don't look as good as the Raptor

- They are heavier and I read they don't handle as well

Does anyone have experience with both the gen 3 Raptor and the TRX?

Not a Ford or Dodge fan but gun to my head- Raptor. Have you ever watched the Raptor design video on YouTube from many years agi? It's pretty good. Lots of real Baja racers I absolutely respect.

Well the dude that bombs his Red TRX in Glamis absolutely shreds up that hill without a care in the world. Not sure he ever broke it but damn near! Looks like a true testament to the RAM line to me. 

The TRX trucks get stolen left and right... they can reprogram them and take them.  I have NOT seen a Raptor stolen like this, I have had 4 of the TRX trucks this year stolen and messed up.  Until Dodge gets the cars secure, I would not buy them. 

Mopar quality is always garbage. There’s a 2 week wait to get vehicles into dodge dealerships for service for a reason. I am a self proclaimed Ford boi though. 

TRX all the way,  Easiest decision of your life. 

Plus we've seen Raptors everywhere for the last 15 years. Change it up! 

I had a TRX, after owning a Trackhawk before it I was honestly a bit underwhelmed with the power/speed.  I did the QTP cutouts on it, and it sounded great either open or closed (obv way louder and more raw open... but still not raspy) and I liked being able to easily switch back and forth.  I still LOVE the high-trim 5th Gen RAM interiors (my TRX was loaded-loaded, but even the "base" TRX gets most of the nice stuff).  Personally, I think the TRX also looks better, but that's 100% subjective and clearly you prefer the Raptor. 

That said, if it's something like a ~$20k difference (IIRC my Raptor stickered at 92k) I'd honestly take the Raptor.  I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the exhaust note, but other than that it's a great truck (and I'd prob get the factory 37"s package).  Other than sound (both exhaust, and blower whine) the TRX is just way too big, heavy and soft to really feel that 700+ HP.  It was novel, but it kind of wore off quickly and it just ended up being a Yuge $90k+ truck.  The MPG on both are bad, obviously... and I imagine that MPG isn't even no your list of considerations, but the TRX is just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.  It cruises around high-11s AFR (it, like all Hellcat stuff has true wide-bands you can call up on the SRT pages) even just going down the freeway.  Baaaaabying it pure freeway I think I managed 14 MPG.  Drive it around town and it's legit single-digit, not even being a jackass.  

I used to be a pretty brand-loyal guy (Chevy), but as I got older I realized that was just like only listening to certain genres because somehow it was part of your identity.  If you like Metal, you can't listen to Country... now I say effe all of that.  I like whatever is best.  I love TOOL, Waylon, and Outkast equally... sue me.  By the same token if I was buying a new HD truck for "hard work" it'd be a F450.  If I was buying a factory wheeler it'd still be a Jeep.  If I was buying a sports car it'd be tough picking between a C8 (Z06, hopefully) and some flavor of 911 or Buttster/Gayman.  Luxury car/SUV... IDK I like my Cayenne E-Hybrid a lot (it's better than the Trackhawk was in every way other than pure brutal straight-line and exhaust noise...).  Etc. etc. etc.  

If I was shopping "high end play truck" again I'd prob do the Raptor and save the $20k (I'm assume you can get one for something like $72k... am I wrong?) for mods or a killer stereo to drown out that exhaust. ;)

-TJ

Mopar quality is always garbage. There’s a 2 week wait to get vehicles into dodge dealerships for service for a reason. I am a self proclaimed Ford boi though. 
As stated above I had a '18 Trackhawk, the '22 TRX.  But I've also had a '19 RAM 1500 5.7, a '16 WK2 Grand Cherokee 5.7, a '17 WK2 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 and TBH nearly all of them were flawless.  The '16 WK2 never had a single real problem.  The only problem it did have was a tech changing the oil filter and leaving the prior gasket on.  Luckily it didn't cause a major leak and take out the engine, I just noticed a few drips on the driveway and got underneath and noticed it.  Can't blame Mother Mopar for that... though it is indicative of the quality of service and service esperience you get with ALL of the Domestic brands vs. the foreign luxury marks.  The '17 WK2 had an air bag failure... but that was self-inflicted.  I used aftermarket rods to "level it" (both my non-Trackhawk WK2s were air suspension models, so you can change the rods going to the height sensors to tweak ride height) but the ones I got didn't clip onto the sensor firmly.  On the final day of a 800+ mile ~80% off road trip (towing an off road trailer, I'll add) the front right aftermarket rod popped off causing me to ride with the bag on the internal bumpstops 'til I got off the switch-back cliff face I was on at the time.  I got the rod back on (zip tie to the rescue) and drove it back from Idaho to CA at proper ride height, but it'd leak down overnight.  I got that replaced and it was golden after that.  And I beat that Trailhawk off road harder than most beat Wranglers.  The Trackhawk, TRX and '19 RAM were all flawless... granted I didn't have a TON of miles on any of them (between 20-50k). 

Of course, I'm the guy that had a '06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged that was flawless... then had a '06 Lexus IS250 which ended up being bought back under Lemon Law. 

-TJ 

Last edited by a moderator:
I am little partial, and went thru this exercise as well.  One thing for me, are you going to off road it or be a grocery getter? 

I feel the Raptor is a much better off roading than the TRX.  Weight and off road modes are game changers for me.  Just got back from Baja in the truck, the thing was amazing.  We had 13 Raptors in every generation, all drove home with zero issues.  One thing though, the gen1's with Extra cabs have small tanks, need to carry extra fuel.  The Supercharge versions could really go 200 miles on a tank off roading, not very much range.

FYI, I love the V6, only the Supercharge or Raptor R's are faster.  Also the 10 speed and Baja Mode is too much fun

trucks 2.jpg

trucks.jpg

I am little partial, and went thru this exercise as well.  One thing for me, are you going to off road it or be a grocery getter? 

I feel the Raptor is a much better off roading than the TRX.  Weight and off road modes are game changers for me.  Just got back from Baja in the truck, the thing was amazing.  We had 13 Raptors in every generation, all drove home with zero issues.  One thing though, the gen1's with Extra cabs have small tanks, need to carry extra fuel.  The Supercharge versions could really go 200 miles on a tank off roading, not very much range.

FYI, I love the V6, only the Supercharge or Raptor R's are faster.  Also the 10 speed and Baja Mode is too much fun

View attachment 99143

View attachment 99144
Great real-world feedback.  But I have to ask, have you ever had TRXs in your group for trips like that, or ran one off road yourself? 

-TJ

I had a TRX, after owning a Trackhawk before it I was honestly a bit underwhelmed with the power/speed.  I did the QTP cutouts on it, and it sounded great either open or closed (obv way louder and more raw open... but still not raspy) and I liked being able to easily switch back and forth.  I still LOVE the high-trim 5th Gen RAM interiors (my TRX was loaded-loaded, but even the "base" TRX gets most of the nice stuff).  Personally, I think the TRX also looks better, but that's 100% subjective and clearly you prefer the Raptor. 

That said, if it's something like a ~$20k difference (IIRC my Raptor stickered at 92k) I'd honestly take the Raptor.  I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the exhaust note, but other than that it's a great truck (and I'd prob get the factory 37"s package).  Other than sound (both exhaust, and blower whine) the TRX is just way too big, heavy and soft to really feel that 700+ HP.  It was novel, but it kind of wore off quickly and it just ended up being a Yuge $90k+ truck.  The MPG on both are bad, obviously... and I imagine that MPG isn't even no your list of considerations, but the TRX is just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.  It cruises around high-11s AFR (it, like all Hellcat stuff has true wide-bands you can call up on the SRT pages) even just going down the freeway.  Baaaaabying it pure freeway I think I managed 14 MPG.  Drive it around town and it's legit single-digit, not even being a jackass.  

I used to be a pretty brand-loyal guy (Chevy), but as I got older I realized that was just like only listening to certain genres because somehow it was part of your identity.  If you like Metal, you can't listen to Country... now I say effe all of that.  I like whatever is best.  I love TOOL, Waylon, and Outkast equally... sue me.  By the same token if I was buying a new HD truck for "hard work" it'd be a F450.  If I was buying a factory wheeler it'd still be a Jeep.  If I was buying a sports car it'd be tough picking between a C8 (Z06, hopefully) and some flavor of 911 or Buttster/Gayman.  Luxury car/SUV... IDK I like my Cayenne E-Hybrid a lot (it's better than the Trackhawk was in every way other than pure brutal straight-line and exhaust noise...).  Etc. etc. etc.  

If I was shopping "high end play truck" again I'd prob do the Raptor and save the $20k (I'm assume you can get one for something like $72k... am I wrong?) for mods or a killer stereo to drown out that exhaust. ;)

-TJ
I was waiting for you to chime in. I assumed you would have owned one or both at some point. My current truck gets 11mpg with 91 octane so I'm not worried about mileage. I average about 10,000 miles a year so fuel is not a major expense. I planned on getting a Raptor R before they were released. That plan changed when I saw they were going for north of $150k. The TRX is about $20k more. I can get a super low mileage 2023 Raptor for around $83k, the TRX equivalent is just above $100k. 

Great real-world feedback.  But I have to ask, have you ever had TRXs in your group for trips like that, or ran one off road yourself? 

-TJ
Not on this trip, but some day trips to Octillo/Borrego, Big bear.  My buddy has had them all, all generations of the Raptor and one version of the TRX.  He is an avid Off roader, ex racer.......he said the Raptor is just a far better off roader, the TRX is a powerhouse, and is fun to race around, fast as hell.  BUT, gas mileage really suffers.  He also felt the Gen 2 and newer Raptors Electronics are hard to beat, along with the 10 speed tranny.

FYI, I have never driven a TRX.

Back