Radio for the Jeep & Moho - CB or?

For mountain trails I find the 5w radios useless. If you aren’t in line of sight they don’t seem to work. I do use them for backing the motorhome into the yard. 

I have a few Rugged handhelds, and have been usin' them for Broverlanding just simply because I already have 'em.  However, they just have the Rugged channels and other ppl on GMRS don't have those.  I should just get the programming stuff, but IDK if the Rugged ones are locked down some way (they're just rebranded Baofengs).  I've been using either the battery that has a 12V charge port and the cig-lighter charger linked above too, or the battery replacement deal.  I think I like the battery replacement cig-lighter deal best, but the only downside is no battery on it if you want to grab it and take it out of the rig to go spot somebody.  I've also been using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JUVEPBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 plus https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC4PWQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to get better range and they seem to help a lot (especially if you're in a full-door rig w/ the windows closed).  

Still, I'm thinking I'm going to put one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MicroMobile-Two-Way-Integrated-Microphone/dp/B07FN2FBML/ref=asc_df_B07FN2FBML/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309885973562&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4984303424430391367&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030754&hvtargid=pla-617154001840&th=1 in the WJ and Duramax. 

-TJ

For mountain trails I find the 5w radios useless. If you aren’t in line of sight they don’t seem to work. I do use them for backing the motorhome into the yard. 
I agree, in the mountains they're not as good.  If you're in the same valley it seems like you can get a couple miles, but if there is a geographic feature between you (like one of you comes around the end of a ridgeline and now the ridge is between you) they don't do much.  The antenna setup I just posted helps, but it's still not amazing.  I'm not sure how different the 15W version I just posted will be, TBH.  Even the 40W I think is always going to struggle if you have a ridge between the radios. 

-TJ

Got a buddy that said NO, NOPE, Dont waste your $$$ on the hand held. He has tried them. Said if I am 3 turns back I'll be able to hear but not transmit. Said get a 60w if I can find one and hard mount it in the Jeep, 50w will do. Gary you are a dream crusher!

I just got got installing this Midland MXT275 MicroMobile GMRS 2-Way Radio (buytwowayradios.com) in my Jeep on Sunday. It came recommended on some Jeep/overlanding forums. I did not use the magnet antenna that came with the radio, instead used this mount from Cool Tech LLC. Wrangler Gladiator Antenna Mount (cooltechllc.com) and mounted an antenna I had laying around. I decided to go with a hardwired set up instead of a handheld for more power and not having to worry about battery. This is a 15 watt radio and as long as I have 12 volt power coming from the Jeep, the radio will work. The handhelds spit out I think a max of 5 watts. I have not had an opportunity to test it out but I'm headed out to Havasu this weekend to do some trails.

A lot of jeep events and overlanding people are going towards GMRS radios instead of CB and that is what made me head in this direction. I do plan on getting some handhelds to give out to people that don't have a GMRS radio on board. Haven't done much research on the handhelds yet. If I remember, I'll snap a couple pics of my set up when I get home.

In the meantime, this youtube channel has a TTTOOONNN of info on GMRS/Radio set ups.

NotaRubicon Productions - YouTube

Back