QUESTIONS ON CHEROKEE’S

Nice! Good for you. You will learn a lot about your jeep the longer you own it. Just a tip, when you find an issue with it, google the problem. It is covered with a good tech write up on it somewhere amongst the inter webs. 

Be careful increasing the lift without an engineered kit. Bad things happen with lower control arm angles getting steep and driveshafts angles getting extreme. It’s not uncommon to throw a u-joint and have your driveshaft reshape your floor. You can start cutting the wheel wells and getting wild with the sawzall, but making openings big enough for a big tire is mostly feudal. Stick with 33’s and go up to about 4.5 with long arms. You’ll be much happier. My last ZJ had a 4.5 RE long arm kit on it with 33x10.5 tires and would go just about everywhere with minimal rubbing and stock wheel wells (trimmed bumper corners).
Just the kind of info I needed to hear! Thank you

So quick update! I found a good starter jeep for the wife and I. It has a lot of goodies on it already. It has pretty high mileage but seems to run great. Should be picking it up this weekend. It’s a 1995 Grand Cherokee limited. It has what looks to be a Rubicon short arm kit already. It has 33” tires on it now but needs a bigger lift. Can I throw coil spacers front and rear on it for now and splurge for a 6” long arm kit down the road? Any suggestions would be helpful. Paid $2800 for it

View attachment 15621

View attachment 15622
Looks plenty tall for 33s, and I wouldn't go much higher on short arms.  Are the tires rubbing?  If so, get extended bumpstops.  More lift won't fix it since the stops aren't preventing the tires from smashing the wheelwells (designed for 29s or whatever stock).  You can also use some countersunk self-tappers into hock pucks on the axle side pad to get the stock bumpstops to engage sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/huntington-beach-1998-jeep-cherokee-xj/7524708144.html

FS $4.8k

01313_jN6HFHnRZlDz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

The trans not locking up is most likely just the shift solenoids.  Relatively simple $100 job.
The "Wobbles at speeds above 50 mph" were made me think....nah, not for my kid LOL

He already played "Cole Trickle" once and luckily walked away....not gonna get anything that will put him into the center divider at speed again.

200.gif

The "Wobbles at speeds above 50 mph" were made me think....nah, not for my kid LOL

He already played "Cole Trickle" once and luckily walked away....not gonna get anything that will put him into the center divider at speed again.

Worn out steering or track bar.  Fairly easy job.

Back