Old school cool.... J&J

To top that beauty off you should look for a front nose cone. My first mid engine was a j&j. Keep an eye on the welds on the frame. The aluminum cars are notorious for cracked welds. I’m sure that motor was running straight race fuel. Run nothing less. Congrats, that car is BA!!!

To top that beauty off you should look for a front nose cone. My first mid engine was a j&j. Keep an eye on the welds on the frame. The aluminum cars are notorious for cracked welds. I’m sure that motor was running straight race fuel. Run nothing less. Congrats, that car is BA!!!
I had the nose cone and a wheelie bar for mine.  Never installed either though.  I guess the OG owners (brother's) of the one I had owned a VW salvage yard in the PHX area, and had a sand drag team with two of these chassis.  Mine was the back up chassis they duned.  I was sitting at Olds one Saturday, and one of the brothers came up to me.  He explained the history of it.  Was kinda neat.  I could see while polishing the side panels that it had some kind of decal/name on it from a ghosted/shadow, but couldn't make it out.  The brother told me it was "ShinyHeiny",  I could se it after that.  LOL  I sold it to a friend of a friend, saw it a car show once after that.  Then one day many years later I went into the Sandlimo shop to help Joe wire a new build, and there it sat.  Someone had put new vinyl on the side.  This time it was "Shine-omite"

It was on AV gas at 12lbs when I had it.  I had to repair the chassis several times.  Just fatigue.  Mostly in the engine area...

I have the nose cone for it... it’s sitting in the passenger seat in the first pic. My father in law did check compression and said it should be a pump gas motor 🤷‍♂️

I’ve looked this one over a lot and haven’t noticed any cracks yet, but I’ll have to get underneath it to confirm. She’s pretty clean!!

I have the nose cone for it... it’s sitting in the passenger seat in the first pic. My father in law did check compression and said it should be a pump gas motor 🤷‍♂️

I’ve looked this one over a lot and haven’t noticed any cracks yet, but I’ll have to get underneath it to confirm. She’s pretty clean!!
Only way to check compression ratio would be to pull a head. Have the head cc’ed and check the deck height of the motor. Checking compression of cylinders by pulling a spark plug and turning it over is different. I’ve wanted so badly to buy another j&j set up like yours. One hell of a duning car if the sands not too beat up!

That is not a cooler....from the looks of it.  I could be seeing it wrong.

Coolers are set.up so they catch a breeze.  From the looks of it, that one doesn't.  It should be perpindicular to the air flow.

A filter should have a relief valve in it...unless it is going on a SBC, that has the relief in the mount.

That is not a cooler....from the looks of it.  I could be seeing it wrong.

Coolers are set.up so they catch a breeze.  From the looks of it, that one doesn't.  It should be perpindicular to the air flow.

A filter should have a relief valve in it...unless it is going on a SBC, that has the relief in the mount.
Looks like a cooler with fan over it 

Yes that’s a cooler with a fan. The fan is covered. Any plans to use that nifty nitrous tank holder?!!
I guess it had NOS, and a crazy motor / race trans in it before my father in law got it. No plans for it as of know...... maybe hold a bottle of whiskey? 

Dude that had it was really into racing olds. Ran on alcohol. Drilled any weight he could out. 
he would leave camp with only half tank of fuel to save the weight. 
When I was young we used to camp with him

Alright... so what trans do I have here? Is this an 091? better...worse?

21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg

It has a dif nose.cone on it for the mid.engine set.up.

But, T.1 was correct

Gotcha. Is that similar to a 091? I’m only familiar with 091 or “bus box” 
No. But I ran one for years in car similar to what you have and it will hold up. They came in "bugs" but there are upgraded gears and parts for them. Weak point is side covers holding the carrier in place. If the move it allows the ring and pinion to loose there position and it tears the ring gear out. If it has like a 486 r&p, they are weaker then the original stock either 411 or 430 something. You can get heavy duty side plates as it looks as though yours are stock. Specially on the ring gear side. Also read where people removed the studs to the side plates and drilled all the way through and ran hardened bolt through from one side to the other.

Still I did hi rev side step the clutch all the time and it lived.

Back