New to me Monster Manx refresh/rebuild.

Banshee380

Reaction score
As some of you know I sold my SCU lil bro and picked up a Monster Manx late last year. ( I purchased the car with a blown transmission) and still have yet to drive/enjoy it....but we are getting closer. Anyhow, here are some pics as I get it going again from start to finish. Previous owner blew out reverse gear in Glamis and the pieces took out literally everything internally in the Fortin FR5 tranny driving back to camp. I have every single receipt from this car since 2007. Kevin Mcmullen in Peoria, AZ rebuilt the transmission and re-geared it. Thanks Jeff/ Balin L.R.S. for the transport while I was out of town on work for 6 weeks. I did some offseason maintanence which turned into a full motor rebuild in the long run. I Had all shocks rebuilt, re-anodized, cerakoted, powdercoated by B-REAL performance in Menifee, CA. Picked up some 17" wheels and 37" tires from HB_Lowen on here. I swapped out the old school Vision X HID's/ Halogen lights with Baja Designs stuff. I went ahead and purchased the all new Kartek rebuildable mid-board micro stub assemblies and went through the CV's checking for any wear and tear or damage. The serviceable hubs are a new product so we will see what happens and how they hold up. There were some flaws from the get go but they were minor. Bones from OMF made me some rings for my Champion Beadlocks. Once I thought I was set, I went to Danzio for a dyno tune session. It bent a pushrod and cracked a crower rocker in half on the dyno. Motor is currently at Danzio right now getting rebuilt while running into issues and issues with this thing, one thing after the other. Thankfully Chris was able to salvage my C5R block. Was able to line hone the block. It did get a new 4" Callies crank x 4.165 Bore Manley pistons, heads were freshened up by West Coast Cylinder Heads in Van Nuys. One word of advice to everyone out there choose your engine builder wisely. This motor was "freshened up" by Don Lee Auto Services in 2021. I won't say anything negative on here about the previous builder. I am the 6th owner of this car, it has bounced around from Thermal, CA - Havasu - Bakersfield etc. 

Anyways just a quick write up. Tons of pictures some may be repetitive. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.png

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS is AWESOME !!!!!!  Congrats and you are about to have some YEAR ROUND fun Fun Fun ! @matt86m  he needs Mable Back !!!

Awesome pictures thanks for sharing. I always love these monster Manx cars.  

How painful was the tranny rebuild?  What is the 'do not touch' knob on the center console? Is that brake bias? We should do a MM get together at some point when it's all back together.

How painful was the tranny rebuild?  What is the 'do not touch' knob on the center console? Is that brake bias? We should do a MM get together at some point when it's all back together.
Since I had to replace all gears…. (1st always being pricey) It was about 13k… Kevin and his son Conner run a pretty cool shop over there. They had it done pretty quick. Shop is always full also. Like I said LRS picked it up while I was out of town and I actually went to pick it up when it was complete. The ‘’do not touch’’ sticker is for the fire suppression system. My emergency button lol. 

@1newbie definitely. Did you pick one up? Funny you say that some members on here always camp together. Their group is from AZ. I actually stopped by his camp a couple days ago and we were talking about all of the ones floating around. There is one for sale now 85k from a gentleman named Hank in Lake Forest.

@banshee360 i picked this one up after missing out on the #74 Pfleuger car three separate times....

Screenshot_20221112-203716_Instagram.jpg

I bought that car from the original owner. That car was a 2 seater when I sold it and was rock solid. That car was a beast. 

I might still have the electronic shift setup for this car.

@matt86m.  Did you know that I had a 'handshake deal' for $55k for the #74 car before you bought it?  I desperately wanted it, but VERY bad timing (isn't it always) as we were in the middle of remodeling a house in the middle of the recession.  Told the seller it would take me a week or so to pull the money out of the stock market and he sold it to you (I get it, since so many buyers are flaky).  Missed out on that car two other times.  FML.  Finally found this one and bought it (very happy) and the #74 car was for sale two weeks later......Life just works like that.........

Badass man! Glad my son Balin could facilitate getting it to McMullen's for you. Kevin stopped by my camp last week and we talked about my Albins popping out of 2nd while I'm duning. Going to pull it this summer and have him go through it. 

I've always wanted a Manx.

13k????  Ouch.  Fortin's are expensive to rebuild.

Back