New Polaris Pro R

1 hour ago, CampfiresNbrews said:

Alright so I’ve never changed a belt in any SXS. but good lawd almighty is this ridiculous? This is in clean ideal and no breakage conditions and with all the right tools. can you imagine doing this on a tight  trail or in the rain, mud or in traffic? That would suck for you and your passengers. 

I have one. It’s not that big of a deal. One bolt on the couch cover sucks.  other than that it’s not much more time than the standard configuration. 

not sure why they didn’t use the quarter turn fasteners all around the clutch cover though. Seems like a no brainer. 

Edit: the 4 seat looks like a little more work than my 2 seat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
not sure why they didn’t use the quarter turn fasteners all around the clutch cover though. Seems like a no brainer.
That’s exactly what I was thinking as he was pulling the cover. even clips  I would think would be sufficient enough. But the nuts just sitting there ready to fall out had me scratching my head. Why don’t they just press those in?  

Anyways how are you liking it so far? Do you still have a Speed on order?

That’s exactly what I was thinking as he was pulling the cover. even clips  I would think would be sufficient enough. But the nuts just sitting there ready to fall out had me scratching my head. Why don’t they just press those in?  

Anyways how are you liking it so far? Do you still have a Speed on order?
I like it a lot. Plenty of power and drives great. I did put the MTS spring kit on it though. Stock springs were already sagging at 200 miles. 

sold the speed spot. Just got tired of waiting. I’m sure it will be great when delivered but I’m happy with my choice. 

D6052B30-2C6A-4ADE-8B11-9581E2603D30.jpeg

6CC8A462-1950-4C8C-B6D2-87D2E4CD57CF.jpeg

@cek that looks sooo good!!! Congrats man!!  I really do like the Polaris pro r. Love the sound and can’t wait to ride in one. Sounds like the thing floats over the roughest stuff. Nice to hear it has plenty of power as well.  If I didn’t have a deposit on the Speed, I’d be driving one of these. What sand tires configuration did you end up going with?  

@cek that looks sooo good!!! Congrats man!!  I really do like the Polaris pro r. Love the sound and can’t wait to ride in one. Sounds like the thing floats over the roughest stuff. Nice to hear it has plenty of power as well.  If I didn’t have a deposit on the Speed, I’d be driving one of these. What sand tires configuration did you end up going with?  
Mine has the Packard ultra lights. My sons turbo R has the Rogue 34” with 1.3” paddles. I’m going to try them next trip. 

Packard’s work well and slide well but spin pretty easily. Not sure what the right combo is. 

I did the AA ecu and Phoenix Speed header and exhaust. Sounds bad ass 

I'm the 'belt master' so my Turbo S models are just like the old ones, same process/time. This seems like more, but mine is only 925cc and these are 2.0L right?.. not apples to apples.. CEK, might want to box in the arms if you drive 'em hard. I'm doing both of mine with Foodrill.

I think this one could give Speed some issues (once you toss in all the aftermarket, which takes forever) to make a Polaris 'right' IMO.

Enjoy!

abc

I just want to make sure we have this straight:

Wrong length springs result in shock failure. 

Using a limit strap on the shock bolts lead to shock failure.

Is this correct? And please forgive me, I do not know much about shocks but from what I do know is:

I myself have used different length springs on a multitude of shocks without failure.

I have seen a TON of RZRs and X3s with limit straps mounted at the shocks without failure.

Did I just get lucky with my different springs? I tried like 30 different lengths and weights.

Do all the RZRs and X3s just get lucky they dont have shock failures when running limit straps?
It’s a drawback of the clevis: putting a limit strap on the bolt will cause the clevis to rotate when the limit strap is under tension because it would be free to pivot if it weren’t for the shock shaft. Unlike teenage me, the shaft eventually tires of the constant yanking and breaks. 

So the clevis is at fault if there are limit straps? 

Is there that much play or movement in the whole design where this is affected?

Doesn't the clevis rotate on a different plane which would have no effect on the shock shaft?

Does it matter if the limit strap is mounted to the clevis (bottom shock bolt) or to the arm? Aren't these both hard mounted to the same fixture?
If you’re dead set on blaming the clevis, sure. Polaris never installed a limit strap there though.

The clevis is bolted to a heim, so it’ll move as much as the misalignment spacers allow. ANY rotational force would cause issues though, even if it was only a couple degrees. 

Mounting the limit strap to the arm wouldn’t turn the bolt and clevis into a lever arm to act on the shock shaft. 

Maybe I'm confused. How would the limit strap have any effect on the shock or the clevis whether it's mounted to the arm or the bottom of the shock since the misalignment/rod end moves on a different plane than the limit strap is pulling?

I'm not blaming the clevis here, I'm trying to come to the dark side of trying to understand spring length and limit straps are causing shock failure. 

Legitimately. 

Both of these reasons are new to me and I'm trying to learn. Maybe I need a diagram. 

Edited to add, the shock is mounted to a tab, which is welded to the arm, how is being mounted to the bottom eyelet of the shock which is welded to the arm any different than being welded to a separate tab also welded to the arm?

Keep in mind that you don't want the limit strap fouling the shock, so the bolt would have to be longer with a spacer.

This is why the Matlocks put doors on their race Pro R’s. Supposedly they can slide the seats forward as they purposely made the seat sliders go way forward on their cars. Then they can get to the covers and change a belt. But without opening doors it would be that much more brutal to do. 
Rules changed on door intrusion bars welded to cage? 

The Matlocks cars have door bars behind the door, just like a Truck or Baja Bug would have. 
Yeah just thought they had to be welded to cage for score. Having to remove seats for belt change with door intrusion bar would suck.9A59C7CF-461D-4F4F-8AD6-6ED0125FD4BF.jpeg

75D9351F-7D0A-4BC5-A42E-65E71F5D0D30.jpeg

Mine has the Packard ultra lights. My sons turbo R has the Rogue 34” with 1.3” paddles. I’m going to try them next trip. 

Packard’s work well and slide well but spin pretty easily. Not sure what the right combo is. 

I did the AA ecu and Phoenix Speed header and exhaust. Sounds bad ass 
What are your thoughts of the Pro R versus the Turbo R?  Nervous about any first year Polaris product.......

Looks like Gurthrie had a successful Vegas to Reno with 1st in his class and looks to be second overall for the UTVs.

My friend bought a 4 seat Pro R last week.  So I will get to see how it does first hand and he will let me drive it. 

What are your thoughts of the Pro R versus the Turbo R?  Nervous about any first year Polaris product.......
I actually like the weight and torque of the pro r. The turbo r just feels like a normal rzr with great suspension. Stock clutching the turbo r will pull the pro r about 4 car lengths out of the hole. Then the pro r comes on hard. Stock clutching on both. 

the weight of the pro r lets me drive it kinda like my Funco. It stays pretty planted. The Packard paddles may play into that a bit though. 

I actually like the weight and torque of the pro r. The turbo r just feels like a normal rzr with great suspension. Stock clutching the turbo r will pull the pro r about 4 car lengths out of the hole. Then the pro r comes on hard. Stock clutching on both. 

the weight of the pro r lets me drive it kinda like my Funco. It stays pretty planted. The Packard paddles may play into that a bit though. 
Have you tried the Rogue paddles on your Pro R?   My friend is picking up a 4 seat Pro R and needs to figure out paddle tires. 

Back