Motorhome Life

ChEFF

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
So Da chEFF has owned this beauty for 21 years. Blew the first motor at 162,000 miles. A lot of you have heard the story. $30,000 later a new 3126 Caterpillar Motor was installed by Lonnie @ Dynamic Diesel in Phoenix, AZ. (Thanks Squatcher for the Hook-Up). The man knows what he's doing. Anyway, while on a trip last week headed to Colorado the Engine was running Hotter than normal and some white smoke was exiting the exhaust pipe and the (pressure exhaust?) A phone call was made to Robert L while sitting on the side of the HWY. Explained the situation to him and with no further a dew he says very calmly, "Hate to be the Bearer of Bad News chEFF, but you need to turn around and go home". But I needed to be in Colorado to install a couple doors for my buddy. Can I make it home Robert L? "If you're going down hill all the way.....Probably." Have you ever been anywhere in life when someone isn't telling you what you want to hear? Da chEFF has. (Thanks Robert L)  Contacted a good friend back home who has been in the diesel truck mtc / diesel truck sales business for 40 years and he found me a CAT Dealer in Albuquerque NM. Of course they can't get to the Rig for a week or two for diagnosis / repair. So Da chEFF and his beautiful wife Sharon spend a couple nights in ALB, NM. Rental cars are very hard to come by these days. And expensive. Just so happens it's the Balloon Festival of 2021. Morning wake up calls were pretty cool. Glad I didn't have my 22 rifle. (That's a Joke) So the question is???? Do you get the Coach fixed and continue on your way for the next 20 years? Or do you say.....You've been a great one for 21 years and 187,000 miles! Time time to cash you in for a new one. That's where Da chEFF Is. Peace 

Albuquerque Oct 2021 (2).JPG

Baloon Festival 2021 (4).JPG

This is the second night outside the gate of the CAT Dealer in Albuquerque. Walker Caterpillar. The largest Retaining Wall I've ever seen. Lets hope they're a Good and Reasonable Dealer. Anxious to hear the results of the diagnosis. And hope the One Way flight back to ALB NM is a Fair One! Peace

Albuquerque Oct 2021 (4).JPG

Albuquerque Oct 2021 (6).JPG

Albuquerque Oct 2021 (5).JPG

With only 25k on that  motor I would certainly wait to get a diagnosis before making a decision. Any oil showing in the coolant or milky color on the oil dipstick? 

With only 25k on that  motor I would certainly wait to get a diagnosis before making a decision. Any oil showing in the coolant or milky color on the oil dipstick? 

None of that Dockmaster. If it's an injector and I can get out inexpensive? Decide then. Peace

If you're going to go seven figures, make it a Newell Coach😎

CAT Dealer in Albuquerque. Walker Caterpillar. The largest Retaining Wall I've ever seen.
It’s Wagner Cat. They just built that facility. They haven’t been in there a year yet, I don’t think. Used to be further north more in town. Welcome to Albuquerque @ChEFF

My advice, give your beautiful wife Sharon a kiss. 

I vote is for a New One. You Use your coach alot and its time for a new coach to go see the country in

Ask Walker Cat how much it would cost to replace it with a Cummins!

Sorry your having troubles.

Just a tad over 1 mill get this

View attachment 15791
King Aire... niiiiiiiiiiiice.  Similar color scheme to my Mountain Aire too:

received_419023339463663.jpeg

Been looking at the King Aire or Essex. They're Very Nice. Peace
If you order a Newmar you can get any of the King Aire (or other lines) features in the Dutch Star and up.  Even the Ventanas can get some of the stuff.  My '19 Mountain Aire has King Aire floors, countertops, and a few other things.  The KA is, well King of the Newmars, no doubt.  But like most brands, you move down one step you get like 90% of the rig (maybe 95%) for 70% of the price.  You pay for that "King" in front of "Aire"... I'm okay with Mountain.  Another thing to think about, if you don't want to go 45' then Mountain Aire is as high up the food chain as you can go.  Ours is a 40' (40' 10" real length) but starting in '20 or '21 they added another foot, so they're a 41' that measures 41' 10".  Just something to think about. 

If you're going to go seven figures, make it a Newell Coach😎
You have to go more than a few years back to get a Newell close to $1M.  A brand new KA is around $1M.  A brand new Newell is $2-3M.  Newell had some display models at our RV park for a few weeks.  We walked them... wow, just wow.  I think I still have pics somewhere... 

-TJ

Killing a diesel motor in 160k miles is very unusual. To lose one in 20K is unheard of. I would wait and see what's wrong, it could be a turbo. It really comes down to budget and what you want, this break down is just moving this topic to the front. New Motorhomes, 9even high end ones are not problem free. On the high end rigs the problems are even more aggravating because of what you paid for it. 

Building a house is said to be one of the most stressful undertakings for a person or couple. I don't know if I would want to add to it with a new expensive motorhome that is certain to have issues. So how is your blood pressure and how much do you want to take on?  :lol:

Regardless I would think it needs to be fixed so it's drivable and so you can sell it. 

Good luck! 

So how is your blood pressure and how much do you want to take on?  :lol:

Regardless I would think it needs to be fixed so it's drivable and so you can sell it. 

Good luck! 

Blood Pressure is High. So is the Dream Home Draws $$$$. Peace

I think RVs are such horrible ‘investments,’ but you are a rare breed of RV owner cause you actually USE it.

My wife and I talk about roaming the country in our cheap lil 5th wheel. .. we’ll see. 

I love camping in it, I just am not a fan of being behind the wheel.

I think most of us have to treat our second homes (RVs and THs) as ‘toilet money’ spends so for me it’s about what $ I’m willing to throw away.

Hope it’s a small $ fix. 

Good 🍀 luck!

Sincerely,

abc

Last edited by a moderator:
I think RVs are such horrible ‘investments,
The word investments should never be used with RV's, offroad toys, boats and a long list of other items. If you spend any time logically thinking about the cost of such things you will never experience the brief moments of joy of having these things. None of it makes sense but some of my best memories are a result of what many see as a bad financial decision. :cheers:

The word investments should never be used with RV's,
I feel mines been a good investment. For 20 years now we spend somewhere between 6 and 16 weeks one big trips per year. Then there are many one week trips and also going to the dunes. So yes we use the heck out of it. California to Vermont to Alaska we enjoy it. Last hotel was 15 years ago because Hawaii would have been difficult.

Made it easy to justify a new truck since this is about its only use.

I think another factory (and sorry for hijacking your thread) is camp site fees. Now I don't have a lot of experience with this. I know Mammoth 8 years ago right on the lake (no hook-ups) was awesome.. I think $79 for the week, but I've also seen 'nice' full hook-up places that are the same as a damn hotel.

Richard H, you seem to be like chEFF, someone who gets their use out of it, probably less than 1% of folks who own RVs/THs.

After last season blowing the motor in each of my 2 SXSs (1 week apart), I was trying to 'calculate' seat time in the toys vs. how much time I spend getting everything dialed in, working, cleaned, the travel (tow) driving which I don't like, etc. The ratio is probably something like 25-50 ,.. maybe 100 hours to each our of seat time. .. but again, where can you drive something like a crazy person, grinning ear to ear in such a beautiful place. I can't see ever bailing... 

OK, Hi-Jack over... back to work.. ugh..

abc

Back