Motorcycle engine power vs honda 3.5?

I've had the below hayabusa car since 2005 - I dont use it anymore and let my brother use it now - great car (Sand Bullet) - never had gearbox issues (stock 2000 engine) - and only had to replace the sprockets and chains every season or 2...all other issues have been self-inflicted - poor maintenance, my shitty wiring job, jumping it, etc.

That said - If I had to pick one - I'd get the tech 3 - those are awesome cars...great size / look cool, etc.  Plus with the hayabusa you are limited on watts from the stator, unless you put on an alternator kit...so things light heated seats, light bars, electric power steering, etc, can be an issue and you have to be mindful on upgrades. Stock stators are ~300 watts IIRC.  Just my opinion.

View attachment 37926
That’s a nice looking car. Thanks for the info about the stator wattage, that will be taken into consideration.

The one thing not mentioned so far with the Busa car is the rear end. Both tires turn at the same time, there is no limited slip.  While in the dunes at speed this doesn't make much difference. At slower speeds it will want to drive straight add to that the kind of traction your getting on a gravel road, it could get dicey. Now if you like going fast enough to get enough wheelspin to get thru the slick top layer and don't mind throwing the ass end out like a sprint car to get it to rotate, It can also be a lot of fun.  

Is the lack of traction due to it being lighter weight verses a Tech 3 with the honda? I hear you about spinning the tires. I ride dirt and gravel road all over the place and it is an odd feeling spinning the tires in 4th gear in the loose stuff. 
Lack of traction due to power delivery. Some engines are snappy and rev super quick. 

Others have a more smooth and controllable power delivery. That works better in loose terrain. 

Im totally guessing here but i would suspect the street bike motor is very snappy. Would be lots of fun to drive. Might not be the best motor choice for loose dirt roads. 

Lack of traction due to power delivery. Some engines are snappy and rev super quick. 

Others have a more smooth and controllable power delivery. That works better in loose terrain. 

Im totally guessing here but i would suspect the street bike motor is very snappy. Would be lots of fun to drive. Might not be the best motor choice for loose dirt roads. 
I was surprised how well the Hayabusa performed at low rpms. It was more drivable at low speeds then I imagined and seemed to have enough torque, so you didn't need to be on the pipe so to speak. Now wide open, you better be paying attention.

I will add, the main reason I sold the Hayabusa car, I thought there was a good chance I was going to get hurt in it as not only was it fast and extremely light, I seemed to find I always was going too fast. It was fun. The moment when I came to this realization, there was 2 lumps on the side of a big dune. With a bunch of big cars. They were going up, cutting across hitting the first bump and getting air. Then hit the second and getting some more air. Thought it looked fun and I went and hit at some speed, obviously too much, lunched off the first bump, cleared the second and landed on the left front wheel at a pretty good angle. I was in the air long enough to decide there was nothing left to do but hold on and accept the outcome. That was when I decided to end my Hayabusa days.

Thanks everyone! You have given me more than enough info get started.

Back