Motorcycle engine power vs honda 3.5?

The intended use will be 3 trips per year to St Anthony’s and dirt/gravel county roads the rest of the summer/fall. 
You might find it hard to get traction with the motorcycle engine on hardpacked dirt roads with loose on top. I have zero experience with the busa. But i do ride a 2 stroke bike on fire roads and the lack of traction is hilarious. Barely crack the throttle and the rear wheel just spins. Dont matter what gear 1st through 5th if you pin the throttle the bike wont even wheelie. Just wheel spin central. Its not all that fun. Big contrast to sand dunes where the bike will wheelie any gear anytime. So much more traction. My first initial thought was the busa buggy might not be very fun on gravel roads when all it does is spin the tires. 

Tech 3 is a nice frame and car, I am assuming the tranny is a 2d with the Honda 3.5 turbo.  I run a Honda 3.5 turbo with a 2d tranny.  In 6 years I have never broken the tranny, pulled 4 years ago for a refresh ($2200).  It is coming back out this summer due to I have a main seal leak on the engine, it will get a refresh.  

CV's are easy to work on, just dirty.  Both cars have them.

For me, if the price is similar, tech 3 all day long.

This is lots of good info! Does anyone rebuild their own transaxle or does everyone send them out? That kind of service is not available locally so I would have to strap one on a pallet and ship it out. Does anyone sell the individual parts or are the frequently replaced parts not offered for sale hence the paying to have it rebuilt?

You might find it hard to get traction with the motorcycle engine on hardpacked dirt roads with loose on top. I have zero experience with the busa. But i do ride a 2 stroke bike on fire roads and the lack of traction is hilarious. Barely crack the throttle and the rear wheel just spins. Dont matter what gear 1st through 5th if you pin the throttle the bike wont even wheelie. Just wheel spin central. Its not all that fun. Big contrast to sand dunes where the bike will wheelie any gear anytime. So much more traction. My first initial thought was the busa buggy might not be very fun on gravel roads when all it does is spin the tires. 
Is the lack of traction due to it being lighter weight verses a Tech 3 with the honda? I hear you about spinning the tires. I ride dirt and gravel road all over the place and it is an odd feeling spinning the tires in 4th gear in the loose stuff. 

True, and one thing that contributes is air shocks. Car is at 100% droop a lot of the time whereas you can change that using coil overs.
Is that a suggestion to stay away from rails with air shocks and stay with coil over shocks or am I reading into that too much?

Gear one, Kartek,, Pacific customs, J. Alper (here on the board) all places you can get CVs

Just don't ask what kind of grease to put in them, rhat is a WHOLE thread of its own.  LOL 
Thanks for the info and the warning about the grease debate.

Thanks for the link and the possibly biased opinion. How often do guys replace the CV’s as a preventative measure to avoid breaking one while at the dunes?
I suggest inspecting and regreasing once a year during the offseason for the average duners, some need it more some less, depends on how often you drive, power, axle angle, geometry of the car, and driving style.

I have customers that can blow through a set in a season or two and I have some customers that have over 10 years on a set of my CV joints.

like they say buy once cry once,  spending extra money up front is the way to go,  buying a Weddle or Mendi 2d powered by a honda, should last a long time,  stay off the whoops and you will have a transaxle with little maintenance, go to a HV2 and you will have even more strength.  The VW transaxle will save upfront cost, but the parts are much smaller, so they will wear out quicker, and the cost to replace some of the parts are close to the same cost,  

This is lots of good info! Does anyone rebuild their own transaxle or does everyone send them out? That kind of service is not available locally so I would have to strap one on a pallet and ship it out. Does anyone sell the individual parts or are the frequently replaced parts not offered for sale hence the paying to have it rebuilt?
Any place that does Type 1 and 2 VW trans rebuilds can do the work.

like they say buy once cry once,  spending extra money up front is the way to go,  buying a Weddle or Mendi 2d powered by a honda, should last a long time,  stay off the whoops and you will have a transaxle with little maintenance, go to a HV2 and you will have even more strength.  The VW transaxle will save upfront cost, but the parts are much smaller, so they will wear out quicker, and the cost to replace some of the parts are close to the same cost,  
Parts for the vw transaxles are drying up in the west. Getting to be an issue rebuilding them.

Is that a suggestion to stay away from rails with air shocks and stay with coil over shocks or am I reading into that too much?
I haven't checked prices but they used to be less expensive then coil over shocks, so it was a way to say some money. You can get a car with air shocks and when you can afford to, make the change to coil overs. The air shocks do give a surprisingly nice ride, on a lighter car anyways.

I like reliability. Thanks for the reply.
Trans can depend on how you drive a 2d will be great on a Honda. An 091 will work well built but not as strong. Took me 3 seasons to break my ring pinion but then again it was 11 years old other years were on vw power. And break could have been my error I just broke a ring gear tooth. 

Basically a rail will need yearly maintenance oil changes,cv repack I prefer full tear down of them inspect regrease. And inspect rest of car. 

I've had the below hayabusa car since 2005 - I dont use it anymore and let my brother use it now - great car (Sand Bullet) - never had gearbox issues (stock 2000 engine) - and only had to replace the sprockets and chains every season or 2...all other issues have been self-inflicted - poor maintenance, my shitty wiring job, jumping it, etc.

That said - If I had to pick one - I'd get the tech 3 - those are awesome cars...great size / look cool, etc.  Plus with the hayabusa you are limited on watts from the stator, unless you put on an alternator kit...so things light heated seats, light bars, electric power steering, etc, can be an issue and you have to be mindful on upgrades. Stock stators are ~300 watts IIRC.  Just my opinion.

buggypaint_003.jpg

I suggest inspecting and regreasing once a year during the offseason for the average duners, some need it more some less, depends on how often you drive, power, axle angle, geometry of the car, and driving style.

I have customers that can blow through a set in a season or two and I have some customers that have over 10 years on a set of my CV joints.
Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the advise. That gives me a better idea of what to look for.

I haven't checked prices but they used to be less expensive then coil over shocks, so it was a way to say some money. You can get a car with air shocks and when you can afford to, make the change to coil overs. The air shocks do give a surprisingly nice ride, on a lighter car anyways.
Thanks for the info!

Trans can depend on how you drive a 2d will be great on a Honda. An 091 will work well built but not as strong. Took me 3 seasons to break my ring pinion but then again it was 11 years old other years were on vw power. And break could have been my error I just broke a ring gear tooth. 
Thanks for the real world use advise.

Back