Motorcycle engine power vs honda 3.5?

EastMT

Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2 seat hayabusa powered rail, Tom Pro or King for example or a 2 seat Tech 3 with the 3.5 honda. Either one will be used not new. I have read about guys having to pay $7,500 to have a transaxle rebuilt. That is concerning and out of my yearly maintenance budget.  

How often does a transaxle need to be rebuilt when powered by a turbo 3.5 honda?

Do the motorcycle powered (hayabusa for example) rails need the transmissions rebuilt at the same frequency as transaxles?

How durable are the hayabusa chain drive live axle set ups?

What is the difference in yearly drive train maintenance costs between a hayabusa powered rail and a turbo 3.5 honda with a transaxle? 

What other considerations should be made when deciding between the two types? The intended use will be 3 trips per year to St Anthony’s and dirt/gravel county roads the rest of the summer/fall. 

Thanks 

The hayabusa trans will need work. You will have to back cut the gears or they jump out and back in gear, kind of like a skip. They are also going to wear gears out. You still have the cv's with either setup that will require service. I have had both a Hayabusa car, Larry Short and now have a Honda car. I like the Honda car over the busa car but the busa car was extremely fast and fun.

Picture 170.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The hayabusa trans will need work. You will have to back cut the gears or they jump out and back in gear, kind of like a skip. They are also going to wear gears out. You still have the cv's with either setup that will require service. I have had both a Hayabusa car, Larry Short and now have a Honda car. I like the Honda car over the busa car but the busa car was extremely fast and fun.

View attachment 37846
Can you replace the joints in the CV’s yourself or are they sealed unit that requires replacing both shafts (sides)? If you have to replace the whole shaft what is a ballpark price on those? What companies sell CV shafts for rails?

Why do you like the honda car better?

thanks for replying

The Tech 3/Honda should be more enjoyable on the country roads.
Is that just due to more torque and horsepower? 

This website was recommended to me because of a guy on here who makes honda wire harnesses. After doing some reading I’m thinking that guy is you. Thanks for the reply.

The cv's bolt in like any other car. Mine were 930's. Easy to replace if needed. 

Picture 161.jpg

The most common thing that you'll be replacing on a Busa rail is chain / sprockets. The CV's are replaceable just like a transaxle car. Based on your intended use I think the Tech 3 will be a better choice. I wouldn't enjoy the Busa car in the dirt. 

Is that just due to more torque and horsepower? 

This website was recommended to me because of a guy on here who makes honda wire harnesses. After doing some reading I’m thinking that guy is you. Thanks for the reply.
Torque would require less shifting, and the weight of the car will likely provide a smoother ride.

I would be the guy that does Honda wire harnesses..

The most common thing that you'll be replacing on a Busa rail is chain / sprockets. The CV's are replaceable just like a transaxle car. Based on your intended use I think the Tech 3 will be a better choice. I wouldn't enjoy the Busa car in the dirt. 
Thanks

Is there a place that sells CV’s  or do you have to get those kind of parts from who ever made the rail?

Gear one, Kartek,, Pacific customs, J. Alper (here on the board) all places you can get CVs

Just don't ask what kind of grease to put in them, rhat is a WHOLE thread of its own.  LOL 

I think from a reliability and also resale value the Honda powered car would be a safe bet. 

Don't be scared of the Honda. $7500 for a trans rebuild is a high number for the honda HP level your after. you can almost buy a new 2d for that money.

I have a heavier (2200lbs) 4-seat with a turbo Honda 3.5, my MD4E trans gets gone thru for maintenance purposes every 3 years, last year that cost about $2500. but the years before that it was 1800ish. That's also with much more use than you project, I get about 7-8 trips a year to Glamis and 4-5 trips in hard pack. we have a few non turbo Honda guys in our group with Bus transaxles that haven't been rebuilt for years. but I do drive accordingly knowing I am over the HP rating of my trans, I don't hammer the whoops, drop the clutch etc..  

Back