Mac's Car Refresh

Mac

Reaction score
I wasn't going to do this but here goes.

I have a 2008 Suspensions Unlimited Ultralight 2 seat mid engine car, 2.5 turbo Subi and a Mendi 2D.  Love this car.  It fits me to a "T".  Tons of power for such a small, light car.  Up to this point, I've only done a few small things to it since I bought it (2018).  Replaced the HIDS with an LEDs, swapped the hydraulic steering for electric, a few other "cleanup" things on the wiring, plumbing, etc...  I have been wanting to do an update to it and make it "mine".  I've been buying parts for years and setting aside.  I have tried a few times to get into a fab guy and do the body and a couple other things.  I finally just did it.  It took me out this season but here we are.

Here's the list so far:
- New body 
- New computer/digital display.  I'm going with a Fueltech FT550.  It's a one piece unit.  The digital display and ECU are one unit.  It offers a lot of features and such.  It offers some diagnosis on the screen to help troubleshoot.  I'm not a nerd so I really don't know all specifics or how to explain it.  I plan on learning as I go.  
- Baja Designs lighting.  Everyone knows I love night rides so, let's turn night into DAY!
- Switchpro
- New turbo manifold.  Out with the old coated mild steel and in with the new stainless one.
- Total strip down and new powder coat, new hardware, all new wiring, all new plumbing.
- New harnesses.  I'm going to probably stick with Crows as I do like them.

List of "Maybes":
- New seats.  If I do, I'll do JetTrims.
- Been researching new/different engines.  If I do anything else, I'll most likely go with a Honda 3.5 turbo.  Big thing here is more repair options and hopefully...pump gas.

Screenshot_20240216_084000_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240216_084037_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240203_193337_Gallery.jpg

20240204_142102.jpg

I'm sticking with the same red for the frame and panels.  The debate right now is to either keep the suspension chrome or powder coat a different color (silver, black, gray).  I'm leaning towards just having everything re-chromed or maybe powder coat silver.

So over to the peanut gallery for thoughts, inputs and overall joy stealing bullsh*t comments.

Since (if) arms are now chrome, that is what I would do again. All chrome would have to be removed before paint will stay on them.

I appreciate you posting the rebuild @Mac.

It allows me, and I’m sure some others, to live vicariously through you and others on the form. I love to see what people are doing to their cars and comparing it to how much the industry has changed since 1983. For me, my wage earning days are over and they tell me I’m getting old. Ha, I still love the dunes and will continue to ride until the big man says come home.

Congratulations on the rebuild, she’s a beauty and getting better all time.

After the funco fire,  Cam belts instead of latches and a fire system? 

looks great!!! Chrome pops in the sunlight. Went black and well once you go black.... and I dont like it. Boring to me lots of black out there in the dunes already. more peanut gallery here lol. 

Oh yea keep the subi or go subi 6 banger like John and G monkey. 

61855522929__671CE367-1122-4034-B0E8-715DB8086BEF.JPG

IMG_4183.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sticking with the same red for the frame and panels.  The debate right now is to either keep the suspension chrome or powder coat a different color (silver, black, gray).  I'm leaning towards just having everything re-chromed or maybe powder coat silver.

So over to the peanut gallery for thoughts, inputs and overall joy stealing bullsh*t comments.
While you have it apart you might want to talk to Ed at SU about doing the coilover and bypass conversion on the front. It goes from a single 8" coil to a 10". Its my next upgrade on my ultralight.

While you have it apart you might want to talk to Ed at SU about doing the coilover and bypass conversion on the front. It goes from a single 8" coil to a 10". Its my next upgrade on my ultralight.
I went through this a couple years ago.  I researched this a thousand different ways to go to a 2.5 or the 2.0 with the internal bypasses.  In the end I did a rebuild and just swapped up the remotes and went to piggybacks. I did install dual speed compression adjusters to help fine tune it.  I kept the same valving and springs.  This was already a huge improvement.  I might still try and get an appointment with Carl to fine tune it but honestly, I have never felt I needed more suspension.   I'm also not sure how much a suspension upgrade would get anyone with all the ruts, whoops and wheel bumps that are out there now.

Oh, yeah.  Old timer mandatory post....

"What's the ROI?"  :makerain:
:lol:

Can you really put a price on happiness and the journey of the build?

Not like I have kids to put through school anymore... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Can you really put a price on happiness and the journey of the build?

Not like I have kids to put through school anymore... :lol:
The price of happiness doesn't include a badass sound system that's on par with your old DJ system?!

YOLO!  I'll text you later this year with what I'm working on.

Reactions: Mac
That would be cool for sure.  I'm just not computer savvy and not sure how much I'd retain.

I do still need to find a Fueltech Subi tuner.
The display is fully customizable and touch screen. You can toggle between screens as well.  

The software is free to download, and you can fake set up an engine and displays to play with.

https://www.fueltech.net/pages/software

Reactions: Mac
Back