LT advice

Jonesy

Reaction score
Hope I’m in the right section!

Well, I’m interested in some info regarding long travel cars. Not sure I’d want to build one from the ground up… I’d be in more than the cars completed value… My in-laws had one a few years ago and I think one of our own would be fun. So, what is a guy expected to pay for a decent long travel? No need for a V8. Turbo 4-cylinder would be pretty sweet. Any tips/tricks or do’s and dont’s? Just as long as it can wheelie! With that being said, I’m an open book here. Good or bad, I’d love to hear all info. Thanks in advance!

My advice is to shop for a name brand only. The market has been dropping and you should be able to get a nice car in the low to mid 20's with a 2D trans. Post up whatever you're considering and we'll help you with a yea or nay. 

My advice is to shop for a name brand only. The market has been dropping and you should be able to get a nice car in the low to mid 20's with a 2D trans. Post up whatever you're considering and we'll help you with a yea or nay. 
Sounds good. I rode in an Ecotec turbo car and it ripped pretty good. I’m pretty sure it had a Mendi in it too. Maybe 300 horse. Not sure

What's your sand duning experience?

How often are you planning on going?

How many people are you planning on being in the car with you? 2 seater, 4-5 seater?

A basic rear engine NA LS V8 car will wheelie easier than a 4 cylinder turbo car and will probably be more reliable. 

What's your sand duning experience?

How often are you planning on going?

How many people are you planning on being in the car with you? 2 seater, 4-5 seater?
I’ve had a few VW beam cars. My family is at the dunes 3-4 times a year and a 2 seater would be plenty 

Determine your max budget and start looking...if you can get a brand name car you'll have a better resale value. A hayabusa car is a good option too...loved mine. King sand car for 15k isn't a bad option in my opinion.  It won't wheelie easily, but it's also a cheaper option for a fast fun duning car that uses little fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you recommend?
I believe a stock LS is around 350 hp. A 2d with 930 CVs will handle that as long as you don’t get too aggressive. The 2d ring and pinion is the same size as the more expensive sequential S4 etc but reverse gear is smaller and weaker. 
The motor is very reliable but everything else is subjective to how you drive it and doing wheelies won’t help your case for reliability. 

S4 and 2D are not in the same arena.

If you want to know the differences, in Sandrail Tech, Sean with Weddle has done a great write up.

Lots and lots of factors.

What is budget?

A decent entry level 2 or 4 seater is going to be at least $30k. 

One thing that most people miss are the repair costs.  Buying a $40k sandcar is one thing.  Maintaining that car so that it provides continued fun is another thing.  A few grand in the off season isn't uncommon.  Don't buy more car than you can afford the upkeep on...

Great info! You guys rock! I won’t be in the sand every weekend as I live 4 hours away from the dunes. However we are up there 3-4 times a year. It isn’t a huge place but, I love it. A Busa car sounds great and so does a V8 LS car. I’ll have to weigh out the pros and cons 

S4 and 2D are not in the same arena.

If you want to know the differences, in Sandrail Tech, Sean with Weddle has done a great write up.

Lots and lots of factors.

What is budget?

A decent entry level 2 or 4 seater is going to be at least $30k. 
Can’t find it. Do you have a link to the write up?

Search trans axle thread  or go to forums then Sandrail tech it is about 4 pages in Sean has a lot of good info and answers a lot faq. Good luck with your search for a car good places to look str8uptoytrader and race  dezert both usually have many cars for sale 

2D car with a 4 banger should be around 25K,   I dont think i would do a VW box, you will see a lot of Bus boxes with 4 bangers or 6 gun,   they are tempting,  but unless you are a duner for life and plan on making it your religion, make sure it has a Mendi, 

S4 is 10 time stronger in my opinion, but a S4 car i would think is going to start around 45K  

Back