Looking For Input On Diesel Bunkhouse Models

Looks like a good concept if you have too much tongue weight. But also adds to overall length. In the videos it appears that you are limited to backing angle to keep the toad wheels from jackknifing against the trailer tongue. And why do you need weight distribution torsion bars with one of these things? That seems odd to me. 
Yeah, I don't know a ton about them, and personally wouldn't go that route, but it seemed like it might be what @Squatcher needs/was talking about.  My RV is a tag axle w/ a 15k hitch and I'd like to keep a trailer around 20-22' and under 15k loaded and just roll that way.

-TJ

Yeah, I don't know a ton about them, and personally wouldn't go that route, but it seemed like it might be what @Squatcher needs/was talking about.  My RV is a tag axle w/ a 15k hitch and I'd like to keep a trailer around 20-22' and under 15k loaded and just roll that way.

-TJ
I have to get to the scales this week. Being in Qsite I have no problem getting to a scale when loaded. 

After much research and deliberation, I put my deposit in today for a new Moho. We decided to go with the Renegade Verona 40VBH. This is the bunkhouse model with bunk beds and a cab over bunk. We decided we use both of these so much currently we wanted to stay with this configuration for now. I also really like the 20k tow capacity, 150 gals of water, all electric and Aquahot. And the big kitchen with tons of storage was another must for us. And from my research, Renegade is about as good of quality as you can get in this range. 
There is an existing unit on the lot that buyer is having financing challenges. If their deal fails I’m in first backup and will pick it up in a few weeks. Otherwise I’m 3-4 months lead time which probably really means 5-6 months. 
I was shocked at the difference in pricing from dealers I contacted. Some were over MSRP, some would offer you a token 1-2% off. I ended up at 15% under MSRP after contacting 5 different dealers. 
Now I need to get busy and do a small bump out addition on my shop because, of course, it is 13” longer than I can currently fit. 

I have to get to the scales this week. Being in Qsite I have no problem getting to a scale when loaded. 
  Curious if you had a chance to get to the scales and what you found? 

Curious if you had a chance to get to the scales and what you found? 
I did and it wasn't pretty.  loaded my stacker is 23,000 and now my rear axle has 24700 on the rear axle and front is lighter at 9900.  trailer weight came in at 16k without my funco in there. before hooking up the trailer my moho was 19500 on the rear axle and 11k on the front. way too much tounge weight.  Have to figure that out or buy a new stacker. 

I did and it wasn't pretty.  loaded my stacker is 23,000 and now my rear axle has 24700 on the rear axle and front is lighter at 9900.  trailer weight came in at 16k without my funco in there. before hooking up the trailer my moho was 19500 on the rear axle and 11k on the front. way too much tounge weight.  Have to figure that out or buy a new stacker. 
Wow! Would have never guessed you were that heavy. That trailer must be a beast! And over 5k of tongue weight. Holy chit!

Yikes Dude!  If you want to stay stacker, IMHO Toter is the way to go (I know, I know you just got rid of one).  Anytime you're north of 20k lbs it needs to be a real Toter like a Renegade Classic (not even the Verona is rated for over 20k).  I mean, my Mountain Aire has the GCWR ceiling for it, and the power... but only a 15k hitch, of course that could be beefed up and it is fur sail! 

-TJ

my hitch rated for it. Custom and beefy.  But I did call those guys over at trailer toad. Seems like a really good option but five grand kind of sucks. Going to reload with my car empty my fuel station and put some weight distribution bars on it and take it back to the scale to see if there is any difference otherwise I guess I'll have to get a trailer toad. I'm stuck with this motorhome for quite a few years yet. Tailer toad adds 28. "

After much research and deliberation, I put my deposit in today for a new Moho. We decided to go with the Renegade Verona 40VBH. This is the bunkhouse model with bunk beds and a cab over bunk. We decided we use both of these so much currently we wanted to stay with this configuration for now. I also really like the 20k tow capacity, 150 gals of water, all electric and Aquahot. And the big kitchen with tons of storage was another must for us. And from my research, Renegade is about as good of quality as you can get in this range. 
There is an existing unit on the lot that buyer is having financing challenges. If their deal fails I’m in first backup and will pick it up in a few weeks. Otherwise I’m 3-4 months lead time which probably really means 5-6 months. 
I was shocked at the difference in pricing from dealers I contacted. Some were over MSRP, some would offer you a token 1-2% off. I ended up at 15% under MSRP after contacting 5 different dealers. 
Now I need to get busy and do a small bump out addition on my shop because, of course, it is 13” longer than I can currently fit. 
What dealer did you go through if you don't mind sharing? Been thinking of upgrading mine.

I ordered it through Transwest in Frederick Colorado. 
My salesperson is Katie O’Neill there. She has a bunch of really thorough videos she does of the RVs on YouTube. She’s a little quirky but very knowledgeable and has been really good to work with so far. I would recommend her. 

My salesperson is Katie O’Neill there. She has a bunch of really thorough videos she does of the RVs on YouTube. She’s a little quirky but very knowledgeable and has been really good to work with so far. I would recommend her. 
I have watched a lot of their videos, and many of them were Katie. Quirky seems about right.

Just because the hitch is rated for "X" amount does not mean the DRIVE Train will handle it. 20K with a Discovery 40G? WOW!

Just because the hitch is rated for "X" amount does not mean the DRIVE Train will handle it. 20K with a Discovery 40G? WOW!
Tne Renegade Verona is absolutely fully rated to tow 20k . Not just the hitch, the whole chebang, including the GCWR to allow for 20k. Even has rated capacity to load the coach with 7700 lbs of crap and still tow 20k if you wanted to. 

@Dockmaster Lets see the new rig! Walked thru a Verona some years ago at the SSSS. Very nice moho's

only worried about the frame and rear axle

.  engine and trans should be fine. Trailer toad takes all the load off the Moho and makes it more stable. trying to find one that someone don't want but very hard to find resale. might be getting one next month I will feel a lot safer with one. Looking back I shouldn't have done the custom hitch I should have just got the trailer toad first. 

Last edited by a moderator:
@Dockmaster Lets see the new rig! Walked thru a Verona some years ago at the SSSS. Very nice moho's
This video was made using my actual rig. I’m flying next Wednesday for orientation, delivery inspection and to drive it home. One of my first upgrades will be a Caliber 9 grill and paint or wrap the front bumper and mirrors in black. 

only worried about the frame.  engine and trans should be fine. Trailer toad takes all the load off the Moho and makes it more stable. trying to find one that someone don't want but very hard to find resale. might be getting one next month I will feel a lot safer with one. Looking back I shouldn't have done the custom hitch I should have just got the trailer toad first. 
What size stacker are you pulling and what the heck is giving you sooooo much tongue weight? No way to lighten the load some and move weight around to reduce tongue weight?

19 minutes ago, Dockmaster said:

This video was made using my actual rig. I’m flying next Wednesday for orientation, delivery inspection and to drive it home. One of my first upgrades will be a Caliber 9 grill and paint or wrap the front bumper and mirrors in black. 

Incredible! 

What size stacker are you pulling and what the heck is giving you sooooo much tongue weight? No way to lighten the load some and move weight around to reduce tongue weight?
28ft Haulmark.  built very well.  going to try some things and put a weight distribution hitch on there and see.  Move the can am on the back of the lift and Funco all the way to the back door.  I will reweigh. still can't get away from the weight but I can try to reduce the tongue weight. Think It will still be too much so the trailer toad I think is in my future. solves a lot of problems hopefully wont cause too many more.   Nice New rig btw. congrats.   one day I will get another toter but I will need 4 slides. for sure. 

Back