Looking For Input On Diesel Bunkhouse Models

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I’m starting to get more serious about upgrading my Moho. I currently have a 2009 Super C Kodak diesel bunkhouse that has severed us well. However, I really want some newer features and I want to go to a stacker trailer so the 10k tow capacity isn’t enough. I need minimum 15k tow capacity and really prefer 20k. I like the Super C concept as I like to do my own maintenance and the engine access is fantastic. Also like the safety of a front engine. That being said, I’m not opposed to a Class A. The must haves are:

• bunk beds that can convert to closet or other use when extra sleeping not needed
  • Overhead bed above cab
  • Large kitchen with ample storage and pantry space
  • 15k-20k tow capacity
  • As much seating as possible 
  • we like beds that don’t require sofas or dinettes to be converted. I’m an early riser and like to make coffee and chill while others are sleeping in. 

1. Top of my list currently is the Renegade Verona 40vbh. This checks all our boxes although seating is limited to a 2 person couch and the dinette plus the cab seats swivel around. Absolutely love the kitchen size and ample cabinets and pantry. Drawback is it is only offered in 360hp 1150 torque Cummins 8.9. I’m OK going a little slower up the big hills.

2. Also considering the Dynamax Dynaquest 37bh. Similar to the Verona but kitchen is much smaller. Benefit is you can get 450hp/1250 Cummins 8.9. Has larger rear overhang past axle than Verona so won’t handle/ drive as well and lots of tail swing. I think the small kitchen is a deal breaker. 
3. Discover Fleetwood 44 LXE 44B. Lots of seating, bath and half, kitchen a bit smaller than Verona but OK. Weird layout with bunk beds in the rear and only accessible through master bedroom and bath. Can’t imagine someone taking a dump on the toilet or being in the shower while anyone is in the bunk beds. Love the underbelly storage though!

I also looked at Newmar Dutch Star, Berkshire and Tiffin but didn’t like the layout. We don’t really need a bath and a half and lots of other things like kitchen space lost to these models. Most don’t offer a cab over bunk either. 

The Verona is currently about $330k new, Dynaquest is a bit more with the 450/1250 option. The discover fleetwood is like $450+ I think. I would prefer to stay closer to $300k but will go higher for the perfect rig. No, I’m not interested in going way higher to a Prevost, KingAire or a Class 8. Would love to find a 1-2 year old used one and save a few $$. 

Any recommendations or things I should consider. I’m not in a hurry so may wait to see if market normalizes next year but I’ve got the itch 😀

Also just found the Entegra Aspire 44L that might be an option. They do not have an overhead bunk option though but the kitchen is very nice. Anyone have one they can comment on? 

That Renegade is super nice, a friend has a similar setup 2021 Jaco 

Love this layout and kitchen even if I didn't need the bunks

1599842842_fp_img.jpg

look at a classic series renegade, should check all your boxes with a bigger engine and 40k tow capacity.

look at a classic series renegade, should check all your boxes with a bigger engine and 40k tow capacity.
^this

New they won't be exactly in the OP's price range, but if you want to tow ~20k+ lbs they are the way to go.  I though hard about one before I got my current DP, for us we decided the DP fit our needs better... but we're also not planning a 20k lbs trailer, nor do we have kids and need/want the front over-cab bunk.  If a front over-cab bunk and a 20k lbs trailer ARE on your list, then I think there's really nothing else that's going to work as well as a Renegade Classic (well, other than an Ikon or something from them, lol).  

FWIW, I also fully agree about the safety aspect of a big toter vs. a Class A.  It's probably one of my biggest concerns having a Class A, but for us the layout/floorplan won the day. 

-TJ

Good thoughts and input. I don't plan to tow a full 20k hence my comment about not going up to a class 8 (Renegade classic, Showhauler, etc). To go up to a class 8 I gain a half bath and of course, more HP/torque. I expect my fully loaded stacker will be under or close to 15k. My last 3 trailers (still have 2) have been all aluminum and since having them I will not go back to steel. So I figure a 22' - 24' all alum stacker will be 7-8k empty. I have a lighter sandrail, a SxS and two quads so about 5k#'s of toys. That leaves another 2k for tools, spares, fuel station etc. and I'm at 15k.

I don't like to push things to their limit so I figured the Verona having 20k tow capacity I would be more than good. The 15k limits on most of the Class A's I'll be at max tow. 

The other thing I'm pondering is total length. No, I'm not trying to start this debate all over again 😀. But it is on my mind. I don't mind going over a little but hate to push it too far. The Verona is 40' a 24' trailer with a 5' extended tongue is 29' total. So with a foot or so for the hitch this puts it right at 70' and already 5' over max. If I go with a 45' Class A it puts me at 75' or 10' over max. The Dynaquest is only 37' but I just don't think we can live with that kitchen and lack of cabinets. 

All 3 of our kids will be gone in two years. 2 are already gone and our youngest is a junior this year. However, we expect to still have them come on trips with us and maybe grandkids in the future.

One of the things we really like about the Entegra Aspire is the layout would be great for just the wife and I for extended trips of up to several months at a time. The kitchen and living area layout is about the best I have seen. The only drawbacks are lack of overhead bunk and the length and the overall Class A aspect. 

Ugh! So many first world problems 🤑🤑🤑

That Renegade is super nice, a friend has a similar setup 2021 Jaco 

Love this layout and kitchen even if I didn't need the bunks

Ironically, the Verona bunk model has the biggest kitchen area Renegade offers in any of their RV's. Even bigger than the 45' Class 8's. Go figure. 

I picked up a Discovery 40G bunkhouse and love it.  pulls my 20k stacker good.  8.9l cummins. layout and storage is great.  Doesn't tow as good as my Haulmark but Wife likes the Pusher much better. 

I picked up a Discovery 40G bunkhouse and love it.  pulls my 20k stacker good.  8.9l cummins. layout and storage is great.  Doesn't tow as good as my Haulmark but Wife likes the Pusher much better. 
I really like the layout of the 40G. But, you’re towing 20k with it? Did you do something to boost the two capacity from the original 10k? 

I really like the layout of the 40G. But, you’re towing 20k with it? Did you do something to boost the two capacity from the original 10k? 
Yes I did, shop in Mesa Cliff's Welding build a custom 30k lb 3 inch receiver hitch it'll handle 4000 lb tongue weight. Twenty-two hundred bucks thought it was a good investment motorhome tows it no problem

Yes I did, shop in Mesa Cliff's Welding build a custom 30k lb 3 inch receiver hitch it'll handle 4000 lb tongue weight. Twenty-two hundred bucks thought it was a good investment motorhome tows it no problem
What year did you get? Is that the 380 hp isl? Tag axle?

I was curious why you made the change when I saw the toter go up for sale.  Happy wife... 

Might need contact info from ya... my MA has a 15k lbs hitch but if I do push it close to 15k I'd much rather have a 20 or 30k hitch.  I like a safety margin. 

2012 yes. 380 the tq is 1200 only 50 less than the 450 . Single axle rear.
IIRC all the ISLs are the same, unless we're talking much older than yours.  Any Cummins place should be able to flash it to 450/1250... not sure you'll see a Yuge difference, but the extra scoot couldn't hurt with a 20k lbs stacker.  Have you gotten a rear axle weight with the stacker on the RV (and loaded)?

-TJ

Good thoughts and input. I don't plan to tow a full 20k hence my comment about not going up to a class 8 (Renegade classic, Showhauler, etc). To go up to a class 8 I gain a half bath and of course, more HP/torque. I expect my fully loaded stacker will be under or close to 15k. My last 3 trailers (still have 2) have been all aluminum and since having them I will not go back to steel. So I figure a 22' - 24' all alum stacker will be 7-8k empty. I have a lighter sandrail, a SxS and two quads so about 5k#'s of toys. That leaves another 2k for tools, spares, fuel station etc. and I'm at 15k.

I don't like to push things to their limit so I figured the Verona having 20k tow capacity I would be more than good. The 15k limits on most of the Class A's I'll be at max tow. 

The other thing I'm pondering is total length. No, I'm not trying to start this debate all over again 😀. But it is on my mind. I don't mind going over a little but hate to push it too far. The Verona is 40' a 24' trailer with a 5' extended tongue is 29' total. So with a foot or so for the hitch this puts it right at 70' and already 5' over max. If I go with a 45' Class A it puts me at 75' or 10' over max. The Dynaquest is only 37' but I just don't think we can live with that kitchen and lack of cabinets. 

All 3 of our kids will be gone in two years. 2 are already gone and our youngest is a junior this year. However, we expect to still have them come on trips with us and maybe grandkids in the future.

One of the things we really like about the Entegra Aspire is the layout would be great for just the wife and I for extended trips of up to several months at a time. The kitchen and living area layout is about the best I have seen. The only drawbacks are lack of overhead bunk and the length and the overall Class A aspect. 

Ugh! So many first world problems 🤑🤑🤑
I totally get the length thing.  My Dutch Star and 20' stacker was 64' 10-3/4".  Now that I'm not CA-based I care a little less about it, but it's still nice to not be 70+ feet long.  That's what I'm currently debating as I consider another stacker.  My MA is the same length my DS was (well, 1" longer at 40' 10" instead of 40' 9" according to Newmar docs) so I'd really like to just go 20' again on a stacker.  Again, legality isn't the issue, but convince and fitting in parks IS the consideration.  However, I do NOT want to change tires.  Irrational or not, that's just a no-go on a new stacker for me.  So, right now I have a 20' non-stacker for my Funco that it drives right in, no tire changes.  I pull up until the paddles hit the wheel wells, and the back door just clears the tail.  So, in theory a 20' stacker "should" work the same... but the thing is a stacker is going to have a much bigger wheel/tire package (to stay with 2 axles) so the wheel wells would be longer, and I'd be SOL.  That's why I'm looking at going 22' probably.  Basically just enough to still pull in without having to drive on the wheel wells.  The other 2' doesn't really do much for me otherwise, since I found the 20' was pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of room for a big sand car, a SxS and more crap than you need to bring on a trip. 

Now, I do plan to have the Funco plus 2 SxSs if I ever get a Speed, but I've discussed this at length with @URCLEVER and I just don't think I need/want to take 3 damn toys to the dunes.  It's just too much crap to manage daily.  Plus, weight starts to be a concern.  I'd have to go 24' minimum, or 26' if I want cabinets/workbench up front to fit 2 SxSs on the bottom and a sand rail up top.  My RV has a 15k hitch, figure even an all Aluminum 26' is going to be absolute min 8k lbs (probably more).  Let's say my 2 seat XPT is 1800lbs and the Speed ends up at 2200lbs for easy math, there's 4k.  Let's say the Funco is 3k.  Now we're at 7k lbs for the toys, 8k lbs for the stacker and boom, we're already at 15k lbs.  Now, add water, fuel, tools, spares, etc. and I'm past my RV's capacity.  

Anyway, a lot of blah-blah ^there^ that's specific to me, but really the point is I agree: keep it shorter if you can.  20-22' stacker behind a ~40' RV is a good size, IMHO.

-TJ

TUSCANY XTE 40BX is a bunkhouse model.  Only problem is it has a smaller motor.  My friend has one and it is really nice now that he has worked out all the bugs.

I was curious why you made the change when I saw the toter go up for sale.  Happy wife... 

Might need contact info from ya... my MA has a 15k lbs hitch but if I do push it close to 15k I'd much rather have a 20 or 30k hitch.  I like a safety margin. 

IIRC all the ISLs are the same, unless we're talking much older than yours.  Any Cummins place should be able to flash it to 450/1250... not sure you'll see a Yuge difference, but the extra scoot couldn't hurt with a 20k lbs stacker.  Have you gotten a rear axle weight with the stacker on the RV (and loaded)?

-TJ
Yes to keep a happy wife.  I loved the Toterhome and driving it is like no other.  Moho is close but the Toter is much nicer to drive with the trailer.    Wife didn't like the bedroom so I had to do the switch over.   Cliffs welding has been doing this stuff for over 60 years great guys over there.  DWB has a place in Ca that does the same thing. 

I will be weighing the setup soon but also looking at having a load wheel installed on the trailer to take all the weight off the rear axle and hitch.   I really want to do the whole def delete also but it tows it fine so I won't be changing stuff.  Yes, I feel you are correct about the reflash tq is almost the same and that is what we need to haul all this stuff around so just making more heat with the 450 tune really won't do anything for me. I will take some pics of the hitch later and post up some pics. 

Yes to keep a happy wife.  I loved the Toterhome and driving it is like no other.  Moho is close but the Toter is much nicer to drive with the trailer.    Wife didn't like the bedroom so I had to do the switch over.   Cliffs welding has been doing this stuff for over 60 years great guys over there.  DWB has a place in Ca that does the same thing. 

I will be weighing the setup soon but also looking at having a load wheel installed on the trailer to take all the weight off the rear axle and hitch.   I really want to do the whole def delete also but it tows it fine so I won't be changing stuff.  Yes, I feel you are correct about the reflash tq is almost the same and that is what we need to haul all this stuff around so just making more heat with the 450 tune really won't do anything for me. I will take some pics of the hitch later and post up some pics. 
Have you looked into these: http://www.trailertoad.com/

-TJ

Have you looked into these: http://www.trailertoad.com/

-TJ
Looks like a good concept if you have too much tongue weight. But also adds to overall length. In the videos it appears that you are limited to backing angle to keep the toad wheels from jackknifing against the trailer tongue. And why do you need weight distribution torsion bars with one of these things? That seems odd to me. 

Back