Lets talk portable generators....

My experience with Firman generators has not been good. Got a 3650 brand new in the box. Less than 2 hours of use, let it sit for a few months and it started surging bad and was loud AF. Had a shop fix it for $150. 

Bought two broken Firman 3200's for $150 and was told I could make at least one good genny from the two. That turned out to be false and I got burned on the deal. Not enough parts to make one from the two. Weird how the generator was completely put together but when I tore it down it was missing the valves. 

There are NO parts available for Firman generators anywhere. If anyone needs these you can have them for free. Has to be some salvageable parts on them, aside from the engine internals.

I’ve been looking at buying a Wen Generator. They make a 2350w Gen for under $450.  A few nice features is a fuel shut off to drain the carb for storage. It’s only 51 dbs. 7 hr run time on 1 gal of fuel, and has a 2 year warranty.
The only thing I see that I don’t like is it doesn’t have a fuel gauge. 

The research I’ve done, they seem to have good reviews. Anyone have any experience with a Wen Generator? 

https://wenproducts.com/collections/generators

A920420D-7B91-41FC-829C-8FE571924E47.jpeg

I have the Honda 7000 which you know. Is it worth the money compared to the other models? I don’t know. We have always bought Honda because they are super quiet and they are super reliable. You can run them out of oil, a light will come on and the generator will shutoff. You top it off and fire that sucker back up. We had the Honda 3000 and we had to be careful of what re ran when the batteries were charging. For example the coffee maker when you fire up the generator in the morning. With the 7,000 that is not a concern anymore. The 7,000 runs all 3 of our AC’s and I can run a large piece of equipment like a compressor. It’s convenient and it starts from my cell phone app. As far as TJ’s comment. The reason to not run the big generator is if you are running it 24 hours a day so the spoiled pups have AC when it is hot in Glamis. It is a lot easier to grab pump gas than it is to fill up your coach. Plus the pump gas can go into cars and toys as well. If we are going to Glamis for the weekend we don’t bring the 7000 we just run the big genny. If we are going for week or more we always bring it. On the Onan. I would avoid that. My brother in law and Vegas Dave bought them and they didn’t last a season in the wind. Both had to be completely rebuilt and that cost more than buying a new one. 

I used the crap out of my predator 3500 this season. I think I put close to 250 hours on it since Thanksgiving and it never missed a beat. 

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com/collections/generators/products/igen4500-inverter-generator

This is the one I picked up last fall. SDG&E was offering a $300 rebate on generators due to them shutting off our power every time the wind blows. Didn't really need it but find it hard to pass up any opportunity to screw SDG&E out of money. It's enough to power one AC, has a bigger gas tank than my Honda 2000's, and I can lift it up myself if I have to. In my eyes though, the BEST feature is the remote control start. It's great being to reach over, push the button, and get the coffee maker going without having to get out of bed.

I have owned the predator3500, my buddy is still using it 3 years later. I bought the Onan because I wanted the remote start. it has worked well this season. Auto shut off. just checked teh oil and it seems to be golden. out of teh 2 I would buy the 3500 predator with teh warranty and swap it out every year.

I have been running the Predator 3500 all season now, with the added remote start/stop............it has been perfect.  I wouldn't go any heavier, they are not light to move around, so I would look at weight of these bigger gennys as well

My friend was having a few issues with his Predator, returned, no questions ask at Harbor Freight, they handed him a new one.  The switch to turn off and on failed, pretty common on a lot of Generators......electronics.....................

noise wise, it is no louder than my Honda 2000

I have the Honda 7000 which you know. Is it worth the money compared to the other models? I don’t know. We have always bought Honda because they are super quiet and they are super reliable. You can run them out of oil, a light will come on and the generator will shutoff. You top it off and fire that sucker back up. We had the Honda 3000 and we had to be careful of what re ran when the batteries were charging. For example the coffee maker when you fire up the generator in the morning. With the 7,000 that is not a concern anymore. The 7,000 runs all 3 of our AC’s and I can run a large piece of equipment like a compressor. It’s convenient and it starts from my cell phone app. As far as TJ’s comment. The reason to not run the big generator is if you are running it 24 hours a day so the spoiled pups have AC when it is hot in Glamis. It is a lot easier to grab pump gas than it is to fill up your coach. Plus the pump gas can go into cars and toys as well. If we are going to Glamis for the weekend we don’t bring the 7000 we just run the big genny. If we are going for week or more we always bring it. On the Onan. I would avoid that. My brother in law and Vegas Dave bought them and they didn’t last a season in the wind. Both had to be completely rebuilt and that cost more than buying a new one. 
It's funny to see a $500k RV with two little Predator 2k genny's linked together and screaming loud. Just get the Honda.

I've got thousands of hours on my Honda 3000 and with regular maintenance it just keeps going.

Can't fly without a wing!

It's funny to see a $500k RV with two little Predator 2k genny's linked together and screaming loud. Just get the Honda.
“bro you bought a half million $ coach and $250 generator to keep everyone up at night?” They can afford the 2500 per month for the RV for 20 years but don’t have 6k in savings for a good generator. 2008 is coming…..

Thank guys. I really like the price of the firman but it seem like the Pred is the way to go. Will check back in for more thoughts and to share what I end up with. 

“bro you bought a half million $ coach and $250 generator to keep everyone up at night?” They can afford the 2500 per month for the RV for 20 years but don’t have 6k in savings for a good generator. 2008 is coming…..
say no to 2008!

I'm on the end of my 2nd full season with this iPower one... it is so reliable and quiet... has 2 modes eco and heavy load, 3800 Starting Watts 3500 Running watts on Fuel. It can also run on Propane! 🙂 It has remote start (my favorite) Pull Start, and push button start...  and does this auto start 5 times if the 1st time it is cold or didn't fire up.  I paid $650 our the door for it at Sams Club on sale. Best investment ever!!   :classic_biggrin:

On Eco I can obviously run anything including my Microwave/Convection Oven 
on Heavy Load I can run Micro & AC.  
I never knew this but the Micro/Convection combo takes waaay more power to run than just your normal Microwave... I dislike that part... 

Generator.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the end of my 2nd season full with this iPower one... it is so reliable and quiet... has 2 modes eco and heavy load, 3800 Starting Watts 3500 Running watts on Fuel. It can also run on Propane! :)  It has remote start (my favorite) Pull Start, and push button start...  and does this auto start 5 times if the 1st time it is cold or didn't fire up.  I paid $650 our the door for it at Sams Club on sale. Best investment ever!!  :classic_biggrin:

On Eco I can obviously run anything including my Microwave/Convection Oven 
on Heavy Load I can run Micro & AC.  
I never knew this but the Micro/Convection combo takes waaay more power to run than just your normal Microwave... I dislike that part... 

View attachment 27367
I like the wagon idea. Makes it easier to move around and keeps the sand out of the smaller wheels on the generator.

My experience with Firman generators has not been good. Got a 3650 brand new in the box. Less than 2 hours of use, let it sit for a few months and it started surging bad and was loud AF. Had a shop fix it for $150. 

Bought two broken Firman 3200's for $150 and was told I could make at least one good genny from the two. That turned out to be false and I got burned on the deal. Not enough parts to make one from the two. Weird how the generator was completely put together but when I tore it down it was missing the valves. 

There are NO parts available for Firman generators anywhere. If anyone needs these you can have them for free. Has to be some salvageable parts on them, aside from the engine internals.
Don't know what you are talking about.  Firman has  there headquarters here in Phoenix,  Part and tech support is easy and great.   you talk to someone in phoenix az and they have all the parts in the warehouse.  I have seen them pull parts from a new gen to send to people.  Firman sold over 180 million in Gens last year alone in the US so they have to be doing something right.  

Don't know what you are talking about.  Firman has  there headquarters here in Phoenix,  Part and tech support is easy and great.   you talk to someone in phoenix az and they have all the parts in the warehouse.  I have seen them pull parts from a new gen to send to people.  Firman sold over 180 million in Gens last year alone in the US so they have to be doing something right.  
I know yoy sell Firmans and are gappy with them but my experience has been very different. Zero information online for ordering parts. The shop that fixed my two Honda's and the Firman 3650 also told me there are no parts available for them. 

I have one Firman 3200 that has a bent valve. Not sure about anything else on it.

I have another Firman 3200 that had the electrode come out of the spark plug and destroy the piston. I was told I could swap parts from one to the other but the destroyed piston Firman is missing the valves so someone already took it apart, then put it completely back together and advertised it for sale as 'repairable'. 

Now I'm stuck with both. You want them?

I know yoy sell Firmans and are gappy with them but my experience has been very different. Zero information online for ordering parts. The shop that fixed my two Honda's and the Firman 3650 also told me there are no parts available for them. 

I have one Firman 3200 that has a bent valve. Not sure about anything else on it.

I have another Firman 3200 that had the electrode come out of the spark plug and destroy the piston. I was told I could swap parts from one to the other but the destroyed piston Firman is missing the valves so someone already took it apart, then put it completely back together and advertised it for sale as 'repairable'. 

Now I'm stuck with both. You want them?
1-844-FIRMAN1  is there number.  Give them a call and they will get you parts.    They have a 3 year warranty on them..  If still under warranty they will replace them. 

I guess you've never really been to their warehouse then. They have over  80,000 square feet of brand new generators. I bought 28 pallets last year of their return generators. This year all the returns are junk all the Costco returns go to their Greensboro facility now. I'm very good friends with one of the owners. They just sponsor their first NASCAR team to on today's race. 

Yes the guys that wanted pricing I will p.m. you some tomorrow
I’ve been looking at this at Costco. Why do you think the Costco ones are getting the highest returns? Is it a quality issue or just the fact that people like to buy and return chit to Costco?

https://www.costco.com/firman-3200w-running--4000w-peak-dual-fuel-inverter-generator.product.100843922.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back