KOH,... who's in??

ANGRYBUTTCRACK

Reaction score
OK, not Glamis but anyone else going to KOH? .. my trip this year is just me and one buddy. He gets to drive one of the RZRs (better not wreck it or he's dead)... My Suburban is in the shop.. Transmission might be done.. but buddy has a V10 Excursion.. so he can tow my box with that, I'll tow the 5th.

We camp near Turkey Claw,.. basically the first 'left' after you enter the gates and go back as far as we can.. Only deal is his rig is 2wd and the burb is 4wd so hopefully it's fixed by then.

Since I'll be changing tires for this trip, my next trip will be Presidents and we'll keep on the dirts and go to Anza Borrego (sp).. should be fun.. haven't done that one in a while

I'm sure I'll bang out a few more Glamis trips before the heat wimps me out...

See you fools there.. going Wed-Sun Hammer week.

Peace.

abc

FAE9321D-2EDE-4777-B133-08E38F11C66B.jpeg

8CBF3122-1E33-4CC8-ABE6-C420FA810998.jpeg

B0133100-8E0B-4FDD-BBD9-0C78B027278B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you drive for the Anza trip? I think you have a jeep too right? We go to Anza a lot. I used to take my VW Thing but I have since sold it. I have a Jeep TJ but it is nothing special.

Have fun... the Night stuff at turkey claw and choc thunder are more fun than anything....  Stop by an Upholstery shop and pick up some 12"x 18" x 10" thick foam.....use  them for seats on the rocks at night...keeps your butt comphy and warm while watching the idiots destroy their stuff. 

For Borrego we'll use my 2 RZRs and also have my daughters YFZ450 that I bought a few weeks ago.

I sold my jeep in 2009. .. no offense to guys with built jeeps, but these high clearance RZRs do really really well in rocks.. even crawling.. I ate all my built jeep friends for breakfast in KOH last few years. The RZRs are too high and have too much body roll IMO, but that works to your advantage in the hard pack. I couldn't imagine my buddy's 4 seat Canned Ham out in hard pack (he'll ONLY do Glamis).. that thing would be high centered all day. 

We load firewood at night and go to the spots.. just bring a flare to light it.. This year, I'll remember to bring some blankets.. with my 'gimp' foot standing all day is hard.. sometimes I load camp chairs, but you need 'even ground' to use them.. so more blankets and we can sit on those.. always have those knee pad deals in my RZRs if I have to change a busted tire.. no fun having your knees on hard dirt/rocks.. just slip it behind the seat.. you know the like gardening ones.. 

KOH is always SUPER cold.. I wear so many layers, my buddy makes fun of me. If you go, make sure you're stocked on propane.. I think I burned like 7 gallons keeping the trailer nice and toasty last year.. it got down to 26 degrees at night.

Here's my 'normal' camp set-up, so if you see vehicles, we should be hanging outside.. stop by for a beer or a burger.. or both!

When it's just my sh__ .. a fifth and a box (2 tow vehicles), we just make a little .. and that's it.. that's camp. Had fun doing that my last Glamis trip... was just my 24 year old son, wife, 15 year old daughter and the dog.

This, however, will be a boys (2 of us) trip.. so I'm hoping to avoid too much carnage... 

abc

1F9A5031-E517-4DD0-8420-86FD8FE7B46F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am leaving Friday should be tucked back by turkey claw somewhere plan to stay until the 4th, hope to run into some of you guys out there.

Me and the boy are headed out Tuesday morning until Sunday. Supposedly our Glamis group has a buddy with some property a mile or so away so camping there. Plan to check out the night festivities. This is my Rzr if you see me wave me down. 

br1.jpg

Headed out from PHX Wednesday afternoon though Sunday.  My first time.  Riding along with a friend that has been a few times.

Kool beans I have another class 11 to root for, my Son in Law drives 1177 will miss this race still fixing and prepping for the next Mint after his baptism by fire in the 2021 Mint. Good luck to you! 

My YXZ should be pretty easy to spot, also Glamis Dunes.com sticker on the back of my grey 2500 mega cab /w bronze wheels and 34GSXL Genesis 5th wheel

boulders (2).jpg

Ha  I'm gonna say 100-125K people, weather looks good, it's gonna be a crap show... Be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was amazed 2 yrs ago the sheer numbers....made Gecko look like childs play....
That is why I like to get in early and leave before the ultra4 race, get to play, watch all the fast desert stuff and the UTV bashing. I stayed the entire week last year and man it took forever to get out (not like the washes on Halloween though, good gosh that was painful)

Everyman Challenge is the best IMO.. dudes go out there with rigs they build in their garage and just JUNK IT!... 

abc

I went to the KOH the first 3 years and it was a blast…we could hike and sit all along the course! I have been watching the live stream the last 4-5 years and like SuperX I feel like I get to see more than when I was in person. 
Maybe throw the XX on a flatbed and head out for the day. 

Everyman Challenge is the best IMO.. dudes go out there with rigs they build in their garage and just JUNK IT!... 

abc
I agree and will watch that race before leaving on Friday, although it was pretty neat to see the Canned Hams complete at a high level with the Ultra4 racers last year and make in 12th I think, and that was after winning the UTV race 2 days earlier. Of course there was only 1 mandatory lap up through backdoor last year and the year before they went down.

Back