INTEREST INQUIRY: Lightweight Alumicraft Mid Engine Car- Turn Key for $100k

There is nothing with a lower C ofG than a subaru. It doesn’t matter how much you spend on other motor packages even if you spend $50k on the motor it can’t be made to have a lower CofG. Now I know that’s not the only goal in a motor package. Btw I’m not biased at all!  Cool idea. Maybe I should work on that single seater again!
Completely agree with you! How the weight is laid out in a car has a big impact on how it handles. 

The ultimate show down. Reece in an Alumicraft with a K series, and John in his funco with a Subaru. I'm smelling a one on one EPO coming up....
You know what happens when the Hanns and Helmet comes out of the trailer.  :dude:

K24 would be more fun to drive than an LS.  More difficult, yes, but since there aren't lap times out there 99.9% of weekends, keeping the K24 on boil through the 5 speed would be a lot of fun by itself with the right mindset.  

My question: would an S5/934s be a good matchup for a 360hp NA K24?  It's not going to clear 200lb-ft of torque, so unless you're going for absolutely indestructible, seems like a waste of horsepower and weight (75lbs between axles and trans?).

@Kraut_n_Rice NA K24 would be significantly lighter than an LS (100lbs?), would need less cooling package weight, and probably let you get away with a lighter chassis as well.  Maybe 150-ish lbs by the time you get done?  
Something to keep in mind- Class 10 cars run half the HP though it this size gearbox. Actually the newer ES 10 car owned by Cade Garcia has the large R&P Albins.

I'm ok with more weight and rotating mass in exchange for the ability to drive the wheels off it it every ride with reliability. 

Something to keep in mind- Class 10 cars run half the HP though it this size gearbox. Actually the newer ES 10 car owned by Cade Garcia has the large R&P Albins.

I'm ok with more weight and rotating mass in exchange for the ability to drive the wheels off it it every ride with reliability. 
Word, original post seemed like it would be a pure duner more than anything. Assumption is dunes are easier on trans…

But then again there are whoops EVERYWHERE these days. :biggrin:

Reece is also specing a mid engine iirc so the weight/lcg argument loses some importance IMO.

what are the biggest changes from alumicraft's 1600 chassis and the 10 class chassis?  Are the 1600 chassis all beam cars?
You cannot compare them. The 1600 chassis is limited to rear torsion, 091 (2d now for score), widths, trailing arm length, beam front with leaves, & much more. 

I might be interested.  Love to know some more details, specs, wheelbase, weight goal. Etc.  Couldn't find anything on alumicraft's website about their pro buggy chassis.

Back