INTEREST INQUIRY: Lightweight Alumicraft Mid Engine Car- Turn Key for $100k

Reece Pettersen

Reaction score
I want to build an interest list for an idea I have been brewing up for awhile. 

As many of you know, I am a die hard Alumicraft racer/duner. I have had the opportunity to own and drive many different cars (600 hp Mazzone, 87hp 1600 car, 850hp class 1) and found the most fun I could have in the dunes is with a car that is balanced, light weight, gets out of the hole, and can handle some whoops.  I am playing with the idea of spec'ing a light weight car from Alumicraft and want to see if anyone else would be interested. I included some basic info below, but the idea is to create the ultimate pocket rocket for $100k. 

Chassis: Alumicraft pro buggy, widened to a 2 seater, mid engine, extended trailing arms

Trans: Weddle S5

Shocks: Fox 2.5 IBP Front, 2.0 rear coil & 2.5 rear bypass

Hubs: Proam 2" hollow front & 934 Midboard Microstub Kit

Engine: 350-400HP N/A 4 Piston Racing K24 Endurance Racing Engine (Can go to 500-750hp turbo, but will put budget over $100k)

Electronics: Holly ECU & basic wiring

Please reply if this is something you would be interested in.  Please don't comment on this post if you aren't serious about building a new car or if you are a Buckshot fan; you aren't welcome here. 

I went down this road with my Funco Hustler.  I'm curious on the $100k budget and if this can even be possible.  Assuming all new components. 

Interesting, I love my Alumicraft.  I'd like to see what you come up with, a 2-seater wouldn't work for me but still following along.

Would a person be able to select a different engine?  Something not quite so "racy"?  A 350-400HP N/A V6 perhaps?.

Would a person be able to select a different engine?  Something not quite so "racy"?  A 350-400HP N/A V6 perhaps?.
Adding 150-175 pounds to this car is pretty drastic.

The j35a would have better bottom end, but car wont handle as well as the 4 cylinder with the same power.  Goal is to have a turn key car that comes out of Alumicraft and everything is dialed… suspension, balance, power. 

Lots of the class 10 guys are going to the k24 because of the reliability and power over the ecotec. 

I went down this road with my Funco Hustler.  I'm curious on the $100k budget and if this can even be possible.  Assuming all new components. 
Working with Alumicraft right now on pricing. We should know soon. 

If I decide to get another buggy, your idea checks all the boxes.  K24 is a badass choice for power.

Why the K24 over Subi 2.5?
This is a naturally aspirated 360 hp 4 cylinder. I like the Honda because of weight, power potential for the $ and reliability. 

I know John will see this and likely disagree. I loved my 2.5 that John just built me, but leaning toward honda for the above reasons. 

the k series is the LS of the 4cyl world. alot of street car guys even k swap a suburu car :lol:

put a turbo on them and they really wake up, seems 500hp is limit with stock engine. put good rods and pistons in em and your set for close to 4 digits with a lot of boost.

This is a naturally aspirated 360 hp 4 cylinder. I like the Honda because of weight, power potential for the $ and reliability. 

I know John will see this and likely disagree. I loved my 2.5 that John just built me, but leaning toward honda for the above reasons. 
C16 required?

Tough to get 70-100% increase in HP N/A without some serious compression numbers.

Adding 150-175 pounds to this car is pretty drastic.

The j35a would have better bottom end, but car wont handle as well as the 4 cylinder with the same power.  Goal is to have a turn key car that comes out of Alumicraft and everything is dialed… suspension, balance, power. 

Lots of the class 10 guys are going to the k24 because of the reliability and power over the ecotec. 
A fully dressed J35 is only 365lbs.  I posted a pic of one hanging from a scale before the board crashed.  The weight difference isn't that drastic.

C16 required?

Tough to get 70-100% increase in HP N/A without some serious compression numbers.
To get 400hp yes it will be on race fuel. People can choose how much power they want depending on reliability and $. This is just a concept, but I think this motor is ideal for the application. A properly built K24 on 91 can still make >300 to the crank.  

A fully dressed J35 is only 365lbs.  I posted a pic of one hanging from a scale before the board crashed.  The weight difference isn't that drastic.
What does "isn't that drastic" mean? 100 pounds is drastic in this application. We are shaving every pound to stay at 1550lbs in our Alumicraft 1600. You can feel a 20 pound difference in the seat. 

Looking forward to seeing it...I know I'm not a suspension guy, but why not an IBS for the rear vs coil over and bypass? I'd be curious if there's ever been a true comparison like for like on the same car.

Less weight / fab and money would be the reasoning...but only IF it performed of course.

Looking forward to seeing it...I know I'm not a suspension guy, but why not an IBS for the rear vs coil over and bypass? I'd be curious if there's ever been a true comparison like for like on the same car.

Less weight / fab and money would be the reasoning...but only IF it performed of course.
Working with SDG, Alumciraft, shockpros, and other top companies in the industries over the years I have learned that you can never get an internal bypass to work as good as a dedicated bypass. I am omitting it from the front because the car is going to be so light it doesn't need it. Rear is mandatory.  

I think is a great idea, I will catch flack for saying this but with that engine at 350-400 hp I think a 2D and 930's would be a better choice, way less mass to get turning. Ive had quite a few closed deck Subaru Funco's and the 2d / 930 cars were noticeably faster / more responsive. Maybe take the extra coin and put it into 3" bypass' in the rear. 

SCU is going to have something light & 2-seat in the near future. The new 4-seat chassis is already surprising light for such a big car. The $100k mark is going to be difficult but I think it’s doable if you skip on the unnecessary BS. SU also has a 2-seat rear engine in production. 

Back