Honda Talons - Let’s see them

FOG

Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Honda Talon 1000R Live Valve. 

I know a few peeps on GD.com have them. Let’s see what you got. 

What have you added to your Talon?

How do you use your Talon?

What are the future plans for your Talon?

What are the things you like best about your Talon?

What don’t you like about your Talon?

The good, the bad, the ugly. Let’s hear it. 

If you got pictures, post them. 

I’ll start. 

C8284E0F-9F3F-47A6-9F47-893BF0AC2AC7.jpeg

2B94A752-5EDD-4770-AB93-8960F13E8F13.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddie has one 2020, and it's pretty decent but not for me.

Issues: from my point of view over the past 5 trips fall 2020-2021 (JV cougar buttes, Parker AZ, Calico, Dumont)
CRAP 28" tires were toast after 1st ride from punctures, then at Calico he ran out of Ken Block talent and smacked a rock in the trail and bent/cracked a rim. The rim issue was bad because the offsets and clearance would not allow us to get it back to camp without more damage. All those joints/knuckles/rod ends were in the way. It also cracked the frame connection points.

To thin of metal overall on the entire machine. it's not gonna last with the beatings we will give it. Cracked suspension mounts and flattened roll cage already.

Pros: from me driving it once
The auto trans is cool...

DIY - he hates to buy what he can build "aka - cheap AF"
He's built his own rear tail gate / tire carrier
Added a bump seat for his grandkid (who has out grown it)
Built all his own mounts for whips and accessories.

These are the only photo's I have of it...

IMG_8899.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I love the Honda reliability and the DCT. I hate everything else about it. Lol

I've added the Jackson turbo, cage, harnesses, whips, radios, 32in tires, full set of sand tires, home made spare tire rack, air pumpers. We use it for trail riding and duning but next season I'm getting a sand rail and leave the Honda as a trail machine only.

20210528_183403.jpg

20210528_183602.jpg

20210528_183616.jpg

20210528_183634.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I love the Honda reliability and the DCT. I hate everything else about it. Lol

I've added the Jackson turbo, cage, harnesses, whips, radios, 32in tires, full set of sand tires, home made spare tire rack, air pumpers. We use it for trail riding and duning but next season I'm getting a sand rail and leave the Honda as a trail machine only.
Whats not to love? 

I just bought a 2021 Honda Talon 1000R Live Valve. 

I know a few peeps on GD.com have them. Let’s see what you got. 

What have you added to your Talon?

How do you use your Talon?

What are the future plans for your Talon?

What are the things you like best about your Talon?

What don’t you like about your Talon?

The good, the bad, the ugly. Let’s hear it. 

If you got pictures, post them. 

I’ll start. 

View attachment 5238

View attachment 5414
We just sent one out the door this AM.. All done up.. What a difference.. 

Reactions: FOG

Reactions: FOG
Air intakes sucks the dirt off the right rear tire like a 2008 RZR. DOH!  Solution: "Oh, just buy our $400 electric air cleaner."

Instrument cluster center mounted, and difficult to read in direct sun.

Suspension is excruciatingly bad out of the box, and even after re-tuned/re-sprung still has a geometry issue in the rear making it prone to bucking.

Ongoing QC issue with front driveshaft:lack of proper interference fit of u-joint caps in bores of yoke leads to wallowed out bore, clips failing/falling out, and caps leaving the scene. Some have had repeat failures of new replacement shafts. My buddy's R lost caps within a couple hundred miles. Superior engineering?

Even though the Jackson turbo kit is "factory endorsed", Honda chose to go with cast pistons, and cracked pistons and broken skirts are starting to appear.

No bus-bar for electrical accessory hookup, and battery box is very tight.

Only driver's seat is adjustable.

Running four equal size wheels requires spacers at the rear.

I have a buddy currently looking for a 4 seat Live valve and cant seem to find any.. He had a can am "old style turbo four seat" and like clock work blew the Belt every 30 hours and says he is done with Belts.I personally have driving two different Talons and Like the car.To me the Talon is the 400ex of the SXS world. Is it the fastest NO is it the fanciest NO but it will go go go like a 400ex does.

FOG I look forward to seeing How you like the Live valve R compared to Brads reg R..

I'm with you on the sand rail.  If I don't sell mine to one of the two guys that are trying to scrape up the money, I'll keep it for next season and have both.

I like the side mirrors with the lights.  I ended up mounting the front bumper lights above the side mirrors.  I was going to go with black seat harnesses, but now have to do some re-thinking on the blue ones.  

519B5218-7DEB-4BA6-948E-8CBC212AE77E.jpeg

I have a buddy currently looking for a 4 seat Live valve and cant seem to find any.. He had a can am "old style turbo four seat" and like clock work blew the Belt every 30 hours and says he is done with Belts.I personally have driving two different Talons and Like the car.To me the Talon is the 400ex of the SXS world. Is it the fastest NO is it the fanciest NO but it will go go go like a 400ex does.

FOG I look forward to seeing How you like the Live valve R compared to Brads reg R..
Yes, It'll be interesting to have both cars in Glamis this season to see if the Fox Live Valve suspension makes a big difference.

IMO if you considering spending the money to add a Turbo, why not just buy a vehicle with more power off the showroom floor? You don’t buy a Honda because of the power or possible power adders. 
Agree 100%. Not offering a factory turbo version was a huge blunder, but they initially were really pushing the overpriced Jackson kit as "Honda endorsed". They were trying to have their cake and eat it too. They were trying to convey that installing the Jackson kit was just the same as a factory built unit because they said so, but didn't take the step to spend a bit more and at least put forged pistons in the engine. There were some issues with the flash tuners supplied early on. Then it was discovered that folks who ride at really high elevations were having some driveability issues. It took Jackson a long time to figure this out, and it turned out to be an issue with the OEM mapping that they initially could not "unlock". I assume they had to work with Honda to overcome that.  After getting rid of my X3, I thought I might buy one, but after riding in some of my friends' Talon R's, and helping them install accessories, I decided to sit it out, and see if Honda pulls their head out on the next version, or something else worth owning comes along.

Good feedback in this thread. 
I added some more accessories. Front and rear bumpers, a storage box and a winch. 

4757F3F8-9D6E-49D3-A3D5-0E0F29889E8C.jpeg

5D00E7FE-F9FE-4D69-9589-EBE677AB6ED1.jpeg

Back