Helmets in buggies, new law??

More CA bullsh*t....SMH

This vehicle can not obtain a speed higher than 30 MPH.

SECTION 1.

Section 500 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:

“Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:
(a) Designed by the manufacturer for operation primarily off of the highway.
(b) Has a steering wheel for steering control.
(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.
(d) (1) Has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour.
(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.

They are going to amend the ROHV Law and REMOVE the 1,000 cc limit.

Existing law regulates the operation of recreational off-highway vehicles, including that the driver be no less than 16 years of age or directly supervised by a parent or guardian, and that the driver and any passengers wear a helmet and seatbelt, as specified. A violation of these provisions is punishable as an infraction. Existing law defines “recreational off-highway vehicle” for purposes of these and other Vehicle Code provisions. Existing law limits the definition of “recreational off-highway vehicle” to those described vehicles that have an engine displacement of no more than 1,000cc.
This bill would remove the limitation on engine size from the definition of a “recreational off-highway vehicle.” By expanding the application of existing crimes, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

At the end of the day ROHV will include UTV/SXS that have a motor greater then 1,000 cc (current max) and helmets will be required on these newly designated ROHV (above 1,000cc).

Sand Cars are not classified as ROHV, so this amendment won't apply to Sand Cars / Rails.

They are going to amend the ROHV Law and REMOVE the 1,000 cc limit.

At the end of the day ROHV will include UTV/SXS that have a motor greater then 1,000 cc (current max) and helmets will be required on these newly designated ROHV (above 1,000cc).

Sand Cars are not classified as ROHV, so this amendment won't apply to Sand Cars / Rails.
What are Sand Cars classified as?

It looks to me like the new definition of ROHV would include Sand Cars too because they removed the cc limit. 

SECTION 1.

“Recreational off-highway vehicle” means a motor vehicle meeting all of the following criteria:
(c) Has nonstraddle seating provided by the manufacturer for the operator and all passengers.
(2) A vehicle designed by the manufacturer with a maximum speed capability of 30 miles per hour or less but is modified so that it has a maximum speed capability of greater than 30 miles per hour satisfies the criteria set forth in this subdivision.
(e)Has an engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 ci).

My sandcar wasn't designed by a manufacturer 
Depends on the definion of the law.

Manufacturer: 'a person or company that makes goods for sale'.  Generally speaking, the only way manufacturer wouldn't apply is if you built your sandcar from scratch.  Which might go back to how the vehicle is titled. Spec Const vs 'mfg name'

Depends on the definion of the law.

Manufacturer: 'a person or company that makes goods for sale'.  Generally speaking, the only way manufacturer wouldn't apply is if you built your sandcar from scratch.  Which might go back to how the vehicle is titled. Spec Const vs 'mfg name'
My last car and my latest car will be special construction

It looks to me like the new definition of ROHV would include Sand Cars too because they removed the cc limit. 

SECTION 1.

Nope - Driving your sand Car, you are not forced to wear a helmet.

ROHV are specifically SxS's only. It's all here --> https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=27288

Do I need to wear a helmet, as well as my passengers, while operating my sand rail, dune buggy or Jeep off-highway?
Although additional safety precautions are always recommended, CVC Section 38601 applies only to a vehicle defined as an ROV.

Manufactures provide an "MSO" Manufacturer's Statement of Origin 

Custom builders do not provide that document.

ROHV are specifically SxS's only. It's all here --> https://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=27288

Do I need to wear a helmet, as well as my passengers, while operating my sand rail, dune buggy or Jeep off-highway?
Although additional safety precautions are always recommended, CVC Section 38601 applies only to a vehicle defined as an ROV.
False these ammendments just happened. And specifically changes the definition of an off road vehicle to include a buggy

I get that, however the link you sent still defines an ROV based upon how the law was previously written. The current definition sounds like it includes sand cars. I certainly hope not, but I'm a simple guy reading this definition. In the previous law it was the 1000cc limit that exempted the sand cars now that is gone. This will be interesting to follow. 

Thank you for the info and the link. 

False these ammendments just happened. And specifically changes the definition of an off road vehicle to include a buggy
All this does is take the existing law and make sure a ROHV includes the Polaris Pro R and any other UTV manufacture that goes beyond the 1000cc mark. 

It is not going to affect sandrails. 

Last edited by a moderator:

SECTION 1.

Sandrails are custom made vehicles and are not considered a ROHV.   If you register your sandrail what does the registration say?  It does not say ROHV on it. 

Back