Headset intercom settings.

In high noise environment you have to eat the mic. If it is not touching your lips its too far away.

Wind, echo off the windshield, other cars exhaust, etc will trigger the VOX. 

I have a similar problem. My car is a 4 seater and when someone is in the back, I cannot adjust the squelch enough to completely keep the engine from taking over the audio at high RPM. It is not RFI as was suggested in another post it is sound from the exhaust. I also unplug all other headsets when someone is not using them. 

The only thing I have found to help is to place the microphone super close to my mouth (it touches my lips) so I don't have to yell to open the intercom audio with the. 
This. Has to be ON your lips. Anywhere else and you’re screaming. 

extra thick foam on the outside helps too. 

View attachment 97340
Hmmm. I might try zip tying something solid to the “front” of the mic to see if it cuts down on non voice noise. 

The DSP and thick foam mic covers will help.  If you have a windshield and roof panel it's all extra sound that hits the mic.

So my solution was pretty simple. The mic picks up in all directions so even keeping it close to your mouth it will set off from the back side. I removed the foam tip, added a piece of electrical tape to the opposite side of your mouth, and put the foam tip back on. This kept motor noise and wind from setting it off. Not saying it will fix your problem but it’s cheap and worth a try?

I don't remember what brand I bought but my new headsets had mics that were closed on the back side.  When i pulled the foam off it was super obvious.  

Retired helo pilot here.

You had to adjust vox as required. Same in the car.

The best you can do is use the foam mic covers and as ghay as it sounds...press that thing as hard as you can against your lips.  I generally open my mouth, press it in my mouth some and then close my mouth.  This sets the mic with pressure against my lips and cuts the fluctuations down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retired helo pilot here.

You had to adjust vox as required. Same in the car.

The best you can do is use the foam mic covers and as ghay as it sounds...press that thing as hard as you can against your lips.  I generally open my mouth, press it in my mouth some and then close my mouth.  This sets the deek with pressure against my lips and cuts the fluctuations down.
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So my solution was pretty simple. The mic picks up in all directions so even keeping it close to your mouth it will set off from the back side. I removed the foam tip, added a piece of electrical tape to the opposite side of your mouth, and put the foam tip back on. This kept motor noise and wind from setting it off. Not saying it will fix your problem but it’s cheap and worth a try?
Good call. I have plenty of electrical tape to waste. 

I have the same issue, I am pretty sure that the Rugged mic is closed in the rear, but I still get exhaust noise when I'm spooled up. I will pull my foam off and see if the backside is open, if it is, ill cover it with tape. 

The rugged DSP wont work unless you have the 6100 model intercom (2 seat race version).

Good call. I have plenty of electrical tape to waste. 
I did the same years ago but used Duct tape, and added a larger foam to the mic, or replace the foam every couple of years, 

Back