Got a new Truck!

Awesome Truck... Just drive it and change oil every 5k I have done that on all my diesels and used Delo oil and never an issue..Keep on the Fuel filters as well and do it when recommended. Most of all drive it. That truck wants to run so let it..

Ya!  Filled up yesterday and kept staring at the pump to make sure I was doing the right thing.  

Read through the biodiesel thread.  In the end, seems like no one knows!
If you do accidentally put gas in the tank you should immediately pull the ground from both batteries and have it towed someplace that the tank can be drained. This will be significantly cheaper than replacing the fuel system. Also, hold onto fuel receipts. If water gets in the stations tanks and then into your truck they have insurance that will cover the cost. But you can bet the first thing they'll ask for is receipts.

Also, hold onto fuel receipts. If water gets in the stations tanks and then into your truck they have insurance that will cover the cost. But you can bet the first thing they'll ask for is receipts.
What's going in that water gets into stations tanks?  Only a diesel issue and not gas?

What's going in that water gets into stations tanks?  Only a diesel issue and not gas?
Condensation in the tanks if there isn't a lot of turnover. Doesn't really happen a lot that I'm aware of, but given the 10K cost to replace a fuel system, getting the receipt is not too difficult. 

Congrats man....really nice truck and happy for your family 👪 

Congrats on the new truck!

Diesel attracts moisture, so if there is air in the underground fuel tanks, the diesel will pull the moisture overnight. Algae blooms at the interface between the fuel and water and can get agitated into the fuel. I've never gotten bad fuel from a station in 20 yrs, but I did get contaminated fuel from a barrel of "free fuel", so I'd stick to well known gas stations. Costco down in Chula Vista has the best prices at the pump. There are also discount programs from grocery stores where you get fuel cheaper the more groceries you buy, but you have to buy the fuel from Chevron or something, where the prices start out higher to begin with.

The Diesel Page was the original Chevy Diesel website (long before the Duramax came out) but it's a $20/yr subscription fees, so when thedieselplace copied the entire website (including the copyright notice calling it "thedieselpage, which was hilarious) some people went to the free website. The owner of thedieselpage is related to an executive at GM, which made a big difference when some people needed some "pull" from higher level execs who don't normally take calls from the public. Allison actually sent techs to an owner's house to ride with him and readjusted the shift parameters based on his complaints back in 2002, which benefitted every Duramax owner. Sometimes who you know makes a huge difference.

As others have suggested, use a fuel additive for extra lubricity and algicide and use the recommended dosage. There was a member on the page who was a Phd metallurgist who designed the Clevite 77 bearings and his recommendation for breaking in the engine was to hook it up to your heaviest trailer and tow it, uphill if available. However, his recommendation for a new differential was to drive for something like 20 or 30 min., then pull over and let the R&P cool down, then repeat a few times. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 30 min. heat up, 30 min. cool down, etc. I'm sure you can find the exact numbers somewhere on the net. The important thing was to seat the gears together gradually, not during a cross country marathon, then change the diff oil after 500 or so mi. to get rid of the metal shavings from the mfg and break in procedure.  

water in a common rail fuel system will destroy it. the fuel system pumps the fuel pressure up to 30k psi the water will instantly rust the internals in the pump and then from there the pump disintegrate destroying the injectors and contaminating the rest of the system. the fuel filters on the newer truck are water wicking and will absorb some water. if the water in fuel light does come on do not drive other wise you have a great truck. also they don't like long idling the egr valves seem to gum up and go bad congratulations 

Awesome truck I would just really recommend purchasing the aftermarket gas tank. My 2008 had a 34 gallon tank and we changed it to a titan 62 gallon tank.

Also my year truck only had one fuel filter so I added an additional one which is very large made by Nictane. Pretty sure you don’t need that because I think the newer trucks come with two fuel filters.

Go to horn blasters.com and get that train horn installed too. Definitely worth the investment by train horn has been going strong for over a decade. Toggle switch on the steering column so I can switch back from regular horn to train horn.

😇

abc

I want to buy a compact car new for my 15 1/2 year-old but I’m nervous about how much over MSRP I will be paying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Mike, couple things to remember 

First off that truck is a lot heavier than your last one especially over the front wheels. You can get stuck now where you did not before.  You’ll adjust though 

Next when it comes to DEF sunlight is a killer. Don’t leave a bottle in the bed for the just in case I need it. Better to fill it up and throw away the little that is left over than to carry it around. Also buy it at places that sell a lot of it. I have been told that it does loose its potency.  Not sure if it is true but the two guys who carried around some in the bed both have replaced sensors.

Also don’t let it get on paint.

+ 1 for the aftermarket tank. They hang a bit lower, at least on the super duty, but they really are amazing. You can go twice as far on one tank, and it helps justify going a little out of the way for fuel that is a little cheaper. Buddy put one on his 3/4 ton powerstroke and I am longing for one on my 2005 6 liter.

I keep one of these jump packs in my truck at all times, too. It will jump start pretty much anything, including diesels. Actually used mine this morning.... Get to know your gauges, understand what the info they tell you actually means, and enjoy it. 

Congrats Bansh! You'll love that truck. Drive it like you stole it. Diesels like to be broke in exactly the way you're going to drive it. I should have never given mine to my daughter. Loved that truck. Peace

Nice truck and all, but you sure it's enough to tow your flatbed with some Banshees on it...? :biggrin:

One of my diesel trucks got water in the fuel system. $10k to fix! Totally Sucked!! Peace

Congrats!

If I may ask...what is missing when you got it as far as amenities if any. (Some stuff the dealer will have to install when available)

I hear no heated or cooling seats, no heated steering wheel, no parking sensors, etc...

Just curious.

You're gonna love it.

:headbang:

Bad fuel happens.  It's very rare though. W

Last week one of our road crews got some in one aux tanks they fill the off highway equipment from.  Couple hundo in new filters and blast of parts cleaner on the suction valve and it was back in business.

Put a Titan tank on my '04, 52 gallons(?).  Sucks filling it, but 1k mile range sure is nice.  Make a round trip to G from Phx without worrying about fuel stops.

Back