Got a new Truck!

Bansh88

Reaction score
Never thought I'd own a new truck again (since '00), never thought I'd own a diesel.   But here we are...

I picked this up Thursday.   2022, 2500 Z71, 6.6 Duramax.  

So excited and also nervous about owning a 3/4 ton diesel.  Please, any tips, hints or pep talks about owning a truck like this.

Sold the wife's Cherokee so we're a 2 truck family now.

Some beginner questions:

- differences in DEF?

- oil changes: places to go/avoid?  

- other maintenance to stay up on?

- this has a 2.5 hitch.  Came with an adapter.   Good enough for now or should I make sure I use a 2.5?

- any diesel specific item I should keep in truck, on hand in garage?

- fuel?  #2 seems to be standard in my area.  Things to avoid?  Can diesel be stored for a while?  I like to keep 5-10 gallons on hand for emergencies. Stabil for diesel work?

- anything you would have done/not done in retrospect on your trucks?

PicsArt_01-29-01.31.26.jpg

20220129_134004.jpg

Run a diesel additive.  Anything that adds lubrications to the fuel system is a good thing. 

oil changes. Dealer or yourself. To many dip shits out there. 
Oil changes are cheap engines are expensive. Change it often

any brand name deff is fine. 

fuel filters change them often.  

hitch adapter is fine. 

Nice truck! Congrats.

I don't notice any difference in the def. Walmart brand seems to be the cheapest (about $8 a jug if I remember correctly) but apparently there is some type of shortage so the last two times I had to get the pricy stuff at about $15 a jug. I'd just take it to wherever you normally go for oil changes. I go to the dealer just so they can check everything else. The fuel pumps are super sensitive to water and very expensive to replace. Keep up on changing the fuel filters. The adaptor should be fine for the hitch.

I called a buddy that owns a couple of repair shops to ask some questions before I bought mine and one thing he told me that stuck out in my mind is that you want to drive it like you stole it. Driving it hard will keep it doing regens which will help you get a full life out of the DPF. Trying to get 50mpg out of your 3/4 ton diesel truck will lead to it clogging up sooner rather than later. Keep it stock, no need to chip it as these trucks are fast enough.

After I bought mine I found a used Bakflip bed cover off of Craigslist or Marketplace. I love being able to leave stuff in the bed and know that every tweaker walking by isn't going to be able to just reach in and grab it.

I called a buddy that owns a couple of repair shops to ask some questions before I bought mine and one thing he told me that stuck out in my mind is that you want to drive it like you stole it. Driving it hard will keep it doing regens which will help you get a full life out of the DPF. Trying to get 50mpg out of your 3/4 ton diesel truck will lead to it clogging up sooner rather than later. 
I've definitely noticed some serious punch to this truck!  Been taking it easy since it only had 32 miles on it but had to pass some retards last 2 days and boy,  it feel like instant power. 

Never thought I'd own a new truck again (since '00), never thought I'd own a diesel.   But here we are...

I picked this up Thursday.   2022, 2500 Z71, 6.6 Duramax.  

So excited and also nervous about owning a 3/4 ton diesel.  Please, any tips, hints or pep talks about owning a truck like this.

Sold the wife's Cherokee so we're a 2 truck family now.

Some beginner questions:

- differences in DEF?

- oil changes: places to go/avoid?  

- other maintenance to stay up on?

- this has a 2.5 hitch.  Came with an adapter.   Good enough for now or should I make sure I use a 2.5?

- any diesel specific item I should keep in truck, on hand in garage?

- fuel?  #2 seems to be standard in my area.  Things to avoid?  Can diesel be stored for a while?  I like to keep 5-10 gallons on hand for emergencies. Stabil for diesel work?

- anything you would have done/not done in retrospect on your trucks?

View attachment 24836

View attachment 24837
Very nice.  I’m trying to get into a Denali 2500 but they’re still asking 10k+ over MSRP.

Biggest thing is switching your mindset at the gas station. If youre in a rush and mentally drained is super easy to pump gas like you have done your entire life. 

Before i put fuel into my truck i literally tell myself into my head..."im putting diesel into my diesel". Then i spend 2 seconds looking at the handle. Confirming the freaking thing is green or yellow. 

Im a big fan of Archoil additives. Never seen a bad review. Diesel is changing i think someone just made a thread on there about it. I believe there are 3 choices here in socal. The regular #2. Then the bio diesel stuff. 

Find that thread from a week ago and note what el camino man says. He has a buddy that hand records mileage and i think even with a newer truck the bio diesel sucked big time. 

Biggest thing is switching your mindset at the gas station. If youre in a rush and mentally drained is super easy to pump gas like you have done your entire life. 

Before i put fuel into my truck i literally tell myself into my head..."im putting diesel into my diesel". Then i spend 2 seconds looking at the handle. Confirming the freaking thing is green or yellow. 

Find that thread from a week ago and note what el camino man says. He has a buddy that hand records mileage and i think even with a newer truck the bio diesel sucked big time. 
Ya!  Filled up yesterday and kept staring at the pump to make sure I was doing the right thing.  

Read through the biodiesel thread.  In the end, seems like no one knows!

I thought the biodiesel thread showed you get worse mileage and the stuff cost more. Double negative. 

But the good part is if youre low on gas and need to run it no big deal. 

Oh wait just remembered the biodiesel was liked because it cleans the parts. There was a benefit and people who like it. So thats cool. 

Congrats!!! Dat be Baller Status Right There!!!!

BOOM!!!

:poule:

Treat it like every other car you have.  If you can keep a fleet of bikes running, this is no different.

Grab a jug of Diesel Kleen fuel treatment from Walmart.  Pour some in when you remember.

Otherwise, drive it..

ETA...Congrats on the new ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new truck and welcome to the Duramax family. Bought my first Dmax in Sept. 2005 and just got rid of it in July 2021. 16 years and 445k miles and it was the best vehicle I've ever owned. A year ago my son picked up a used 2006 LLY with 165k miles and it has been phenomenal as well. He's right around 60k miles so far and we've done a few maintenance items- hydroboost, PS pump, steering rack. I replaced my 06 LLY with a 2014 LML with 207k miles and now has 230k. It has some 'stuff' done to it and I'm really happy with it. 

As much as I'm on this site I'd suggest joining thedieselplace.com and especially the duramaxforum.com. I've been on both since 2006 and have learned so much about the Duramax trucks. The post above saying to "...my buddy says to drive it like you stole it..." is the best example of why you should be on a Duramax specific forum to learn about your truck and how best to maintain it properly. 

Congrats on the sweet ride and Don't forget to change the spin on allison filter with every oil change and don’t lose the magnet.   Love my Dmax smile every time I drive it!

Back