Glamis Only Speed Reviews

JBL

Reaction score
SandSharks post has been entertaining no doubt.  But now that a full season has come and gone, lets hear what owners who got to drive their cars in Glamis really feel.  No doubt the car is very good for the desert as thats what it was really designed for.  But this is Glamis dunes forum so lets hear the dune stories.  Belts are the biggest issues thus far and being worked on and who knows how long that will take.  Clutching seems to be getting dialed in.  Im wondering how you handled the cold mornings since car wont get going till its 170 which is lame and should be eliminated.  Robby goes to Glamis alot and should have not made the car that way.  

Yeah my friends know I have a deposit but they are also trying to convince me to get out of it and get a Mav R.  After some good seat time in one, damn tempting!!!!

...car wont get going till its 170 which is lame and should be eliminated.  Robby goes to Glamis alot and should have not made the car that way...
That's a pretty strong, definitive assertion.  They "should have not made the car that way."  First, they didn't "make the car" that way, it's in the tune.  Second, what's your engine building experience?  Do you think there's a chance there's a *reason* they have it limited before 170 ECT/oil?  The car will warm up plenty quick in sand, even on a cold morning.  I've had a lot of different "built" engines and none of the builders ever wanted them to be beat on cold... 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty strong, definitive assertion.  They "should have not made the car that way."  First, they didn't "make the car" that way, it's in the tune.  Second, what's your engine building experience?  Do you think there's a chance there's a *reason* they have it limited before 170 ECT/oil?  The car will warm up plenty quick in sand, even on a cold morning.  I've had a lot of different "built" engines and none of the builders ever wanted them to be beat on cold... 

-TJ
I guess it depends. My buggy has an oil to water cooler on the cold side of the system. My coolant rarely gets above 180* on cold trips, I assume my oil isn’t much different. 

Limiting power, but still quick, annoying. Limp mode/no boost until “warm”, super irritating at best, possibly dangerous. I’ve seen videos of Speeds absolutely crawling up chit, and if one of our group had to toilet bowl to get out of a big dune, or sit there and idle for 20 minutes, mutiny will ensue. 

dunenigma said:
Lol

Why don't the happy Speed owners chime in here... ??
I think most of us got them after dune season, or haven't had a chance to dune 'em.  That's the case for me, at least. 

-TJ

dunenigma said:
Lol

Why don't the happy Speed owners chime in here... ??
Because even when there is an honest review from someone who likes their car, that opinion is heavily overshadowed by the constant attacks and negative posts from the peanut gallery.

Why would anyone want to engage in a back and forth conversation, when there is no back and forth from the side that wants to constantly argue about something they have no direct interaction or experience with?

Because even when there is an honest review from someone who likes their car, that opinion is heavily overshadowed by the constant attacks and negative posts from the peanut gallery.

Why would anyone want to engage in a back and forth conversation, when there is no back and forth from the side that wants to constantly argue about something they have no direct interaction or experience with?
Damn, the Peanut gallery is really living rent free in Speed owners heads?  Where can we send hugs  :hug:

I think bone stock Canned Ham has the best Glamis ride. I really like the geometry of the Speed cars. Polaris cars bigger than 64" wide have a lot of body roll IMO. I think a Speed with a 2.0L would be ideal for Glamis. I wonder if Robbie is thinking of a new powerplant. Then Speed would be a good dune car. They're heavy right?

abc

Damn, the Peanut gallery is really living rent free in Speed owners heads?  Where can we send hugs  :hug:
The owners that I have talked with don't give 2 chits about what the haters say on the internet. They simply choose not to engage, but maybe they should?

I have a Speed car, I also have not had it in Glamis. It's been to Havasu, Utah and Plaster City. So not comments from me on this topic. Honestly, I have given up on GD.com and Speed talk. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

I don’t think anyone on here was slammed after their review of their cars. I will admit there was a lot of slamming before the cars came out! I think it’s a good thing for members to post how happy they are with their purchase. TJ has some really good write ups on his car. He even spoke about the things he wasn’t exactly happy with. That is how it should be done. Now you have guys that have been talking crap trying to help him resolve the issues. Hell all ive owned are Polaris. Spent many of hours on the rotisserie from GD ( see what I did there ). In the end, thick skin is needed to play here and you need to be ready to take what you dished out! From what we have seen in videos, unless the Speed car is running the Speed key, the duning speed isn’t that great. I’m sure with time the issues will get figured out.

Says it all right there ^^ . I've never been a speed hater and real world posts like TJ's are much appreciated. I would like to see more posts from actual owners regarding Glamis and sand that is, because I could care less about the other crap. My 6 sand buddies that ordered the speed are now down to 2, and one of those is on the fence now.

IDK, put a 350hp 2.5 subie and at least a 2 d tranny ( can't believe I said a 2d ) and freaking A. You have a smoking dune badass car. Jmo

Since this is a sand post I figured I would post this here. Has anyone figured out the best paddles and fronts setup for the speed? I was thinking an all aluminum wheel with 14.50 dune sports and 33 buffs. 

-TJ
Why do I have to be an engine builder to have my opinion on the temp restriction.  My group is not the type to leave camp, park at the hill and sit there for a long while shooting the chit watching cars.  We go to dune and dune hard as well as take turns leading.  When its my ups to lead if I ever get my Speed car, then what Im supposed to say hey guys give me 10 minutes notice so I can warm up my car.  Then if its really cold winter days/nights I cant get on the gas till temp is 170? Come on sir thats just lame.  In the desert it wont make a difference really but in Glamis hell no.  Like someone said so many people are bailing on the Speed car due to the issues.  Im doing my best to hang in there.  The latest and serious belt issues Speed had at the NORRA 1000 shows that they still have no answer to blowing belts.  And like you said many got the cars late in the season and not had a chance to really go through a full season to see how many belts they go through.  I want the car to be right as its the best designed car out there IMO....Dont get me started on the Speed Key!  But I am still hopeful the bugs are worked out by September/October cause if not I will unload my Speed deposit and have a different SXS.  

Why do I have to be an engine builder to have my opinion on the temp restriction.  My group is not the type to leave camp, park at the hill and sit there for a long while shooting the chit watching cars.  We go to dune and dune hard as well as take turns leading.  When its my ups to lead if I ever get my Speed car, then what Im supposed to say hey guys give me 10 minutes notice so I can warm up my car.  Then if its really cold winter days/nights I cant get on the gas till temp is 170? Come on sir thats just lame.  In the desert it wont make a difference really but in Glamis hell no.  Like someone said so many people are bailing on the Speed car due to the issues.  Im doing my best to hang in there.  The latest and serious belt issues Speed had at the NORRA 1000 shows that they still have no answer to blowing belts.  And like you said many got the cars late in the season and not had a chance to really go through a full season to see how many belts they go through.  I want the car to be right as its the best designed car out there IMO....Dont get me started on the Speed Key!  But I am still hopeful the bugs are worked out by September/October cause if not I will unload my Speed deposit and have a different SXS.  
You just don't get it.  You don't have to sit at camp and let it warm up.  It'll still make ~10psi of boost which is plenty to get a ride started, and under load in the sand it's going to hit 170/170 water/oil really quickly.  Have you driven one?  Has it really been an issue for you?  You ask "I can't get on the gas till [sic] the temp is 170?"  No, no that is not the case at all.  You absolutely can and it'll still push 10psi of boost and 7k+ RPM.  

Again, talk to engine builders and ask them if they want 20psi of boost and 8k RPM on a cold motor.  

Eliminating the safety is not the answer.  Perhaps lowering at least the oil temp threshold would be nice, yet still safe.  Eliminating them is a bad idea. 

-TJ

You just don't get it.  You don't have to sit at camp and let it warm up.  It'll still make ~10psi of boost which is plenty to get a ride started, and under load in the sand it's going to hit 170/170 water/oil really quickly.  Have you driven one?  Has it really been an issue for you?  You ask "I can't get on the gas till [sic] the temp is 170?"  No, no that is not the case at all.  You absolutely can and it'll still push 10psi of boost and 7k+ RPM.  

Again, talk to engine builders and ask them if they want 20psi of boost and 8k RPM on a cold motor.  

Eliminating the safety is not the answer.  Perhaps lowering at least the oil temp threshold would be nice, yet still safe.  Eliminating them is a bad idea. 

-TJ
I don't think anyone wants to remove the temp threshold, just make it reasonable.  I would think the 2nd/3rd attempt at Olds would be plenty of warmup to "release the hounds" and satisfy warmup.  

User limitations should be generally invisible in reasonable conditions.  This is a production motor.  Can Am makes more power without any apparent min for operating temps, motors seem to last forever (longer than the chassis, LOL).  

Back