GD Street Cars

Exactly.  I can't play in that game, but I have a buddy that's had a few RS cars and he's always managed to buy them well, drive them for a few years (including track use) then sell at a *profit*. 

-TJ
Makes about as much sense as tits on a hog...

It doesn't have to make sense to be true. In the last 5 years, I had a CLK Black series, a C63 Black Series, and now my GT3. I sold the CLK for a slight profit after 2 years of fun, the C63 at a slight loss after 2 years ( it has increased massively since I sold it), and my GT3 has gone up about 10k in the last 6 months. Point is, there are a few cars out their that don't lose value as long as you keep the mileage to a reasonable level. In 5 years, my only "loss" with those cars is registration and sales tax, which is why I plan on becoming a "dealer" this coming year....

You mean the fact that it *can* be done, or the fact that people *do* it?  If the former, I guess I agree but it's just the way the Porsche market is: limited allocations for the special cars, demand seems to only build once they stop making given car, all demand no supply.  If the latter, why not?  These guys are in a place where having a couple hundred grand "invested" in a car is nothing, and if they can beat on it for 2-3yrs and sell it with a 20-30% return, it's both a great investment and super fun.  I tangentially know another guy that's in Ferrari's "La Cliente" program.  He gets to buy every new Ferrari model that comes out, but he has to buy one of every new model that comes out.  So he was "stuck" buying turds like the California (then again when the California T came out) which he tends to just immediately sell at a big loss to friends.  But, every few years something like the Ferrari The Ferrari (La Ferrari) comes out, and he gets to buy one at MSRP.  He spec'ed his nicely, drove it for ~3 years (including lots of tracking), then sold it for like $3M+ (against a purchase price of ~$1.5M).  Basically he gets to have all the new Ferraris and in the long-run makes money. 

-TJ 

It doesn't have to make sense to be true. In the last 5 years, I had a CLK Black series, a C63 Black Series, and now my GT3. I sold the CLK for a slight profit after 2 years of fun, the C63 at a slight loss after 2 years ( it has increased massively since I sold it), and my GT3 has gone up about 10k in the last 6 months. Point is, there are a few cars out their that don't lose value as long as you keep the mileage to a reasonable level. In 5 years, my only "loss" with those cars is registration and sales tax, which is why I plan on becoming a "dealer" this coming year....

You mean the fact that it *can* be done, or the fact that people *do* it?  If the former, I guess I agree but it's just the way the Porsche market is: limited allocations for the special cars, demand seems to only build once they stop making given car, all demand no supply.  If the latter, why not?  These guys are in a place where having a couple hundred grand "invested" in a car is nothing, and if they can beat on it for 2-3yrs and sell it with a 20-30% return, it's both a great investment and super fun.  I tangentially know another guy that's in Ferrari's "La Cliente" program.  He gets to buy every new Ferrari model that comes out, but he has to buy one of every new model that comes out.  So he was "stuck" buying turds like the California (then again when the California T came out) which he tends to just immediately sell at a big loss to friends.  But, every few years something like the Ferrari The Ferrari (La Ferrari) comes out, and he gets to buy one at MSRP.  He spec'ed his nicely, drove it for ~3 years (including lots of tracking), then sold it for like $3M+ (against a purchase price of ~$1.5M).  Basically he gets to have all the new Ferraris and in the long-run makes money. 

-TJ 
Goddam pedants! :biggrin:

I mean: people buying USED GT3s for more than a NEW GT3 and the odd production numbers to cause it.

Also: everything has appreciated lately.  Hell, my Mustang is still worth more than MSRP on a new one, and that was before F3rd announced it would lose "10 horsepower" over the 2021s.  Quotes because 2018+ Coyotes generally make almost as much at the wheels as they're advertised at the crank.  My guess is they actually make 450hp now, where they made near 500hp before.

Goddam pedants! :biggrin:

I mean: people buying USED GT3s for more than a NEW GT3 and the odd production numbers to cause it.

Also: everything has appreciated lately.  Hell, my Mustang is still worth more than MSRP on a new one, and that was before F3rd announced it would lose "10 horsepower" over the 2021s.  Quotes because 2018+ Coyotes generally make almost as much at the wheels as they're advertised at the crank.  My guess is they actually make 450hp now, where they made near 500hp before.
Yeah, our Trackhawk is worth way more than we paid for it, so is our RV.  Might just be selling a lot of chit right now and hunkering down for the market crash OBiden is bringing about... 

-TJ

Yeah, our Trackhawk is worth way more than we paid for it, so is our RV.  Might just be selling a lot of chit right now and hunkering down for the market crash OBiden is bringing about... 

-TJ
Yep.  Assuming the dollar doesn't crash first.  Might just have a wheelbarrow full of paper you can trade for a Snickers... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.  Assuming the dollar doesn't crash first.  Might just have a wheelbarrow full of paper you can trade for a Snickers... :biggrin:
  Not if I put those dollars into the right things... def don't want to sit on too much cash in this market/inflation.  

So what happened to the cool cars?
Oh, whoops, did we let a conversation happen on a forum!?!

-TJ

So what happened to the cool cars?
Up next, this is in the works. Should be heading into paint around February, hope to be driving this by the end of 2022. My great grandfather purchased this car new in 1940 in Phoenix. My dad drove it through college then gave it to me when I was in high school. Been slowly building a hot rod out of it for the last 35 years. Wife got tired of looking at it and told me to drop it off at the shop and get it finished.

40 merc1.jpg

got rid of my "street" cars a couple years ago, but im currently looking for a 3rd gen camaro, and/or a 85-88 g body. looking to build a drag and drive car 🙂

I started a build thread on the old site but here’s my 67 Mustang street car project. 

E41F3215-E5AF-43D6-88D6-160E685B3B96.jpeg

bf5384_243ad20f42144b72941ac7454917c4fe~mv2_d_5000_3333_s_4_2.webp

Thought I would add a few pics of the interior. Went with a tan and black two tone, love the tan color, it really gets tons of compliments as @Coryz71 said on another thread.

Also a pic of the LT2. We are going to customize the engine cover and it will be torch red with the corvette emblem painted. 

We also had a AM cat back exhaust install before we took delivery. The exhaust tips look bitchen in matte carbon fiber with black inserts. 

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

Back