Garage floor coating?

Great thread, I am looking for cabinets right now. I am looking at the NewAge Bold series brand that Costco carries. Anyone have any experience with these ? 

Also, I am having my garage, patio, and carport done with a newer product that is some sort of poly-something or another that supposedly stands up to the sun light and does not turn color ? 10 year warranty for sun exposed areas, lifetime for garage and non exposed areas. Roughly 2500 sqf.
It is a Polyspartic system..

Great thread, I am looking for cabinets right now. I am looking at the NewAge Bold series brand that Costco carries. Anyone have any experience with these ? 

Also, I am having my garage, patio, and carport done with a newer product that is some sort of poly-something or another that supposedly stands up to the sun light and does not turn color ? 10 year warranty for sun exposed areas, lifetime for garage and non exposed areas. Roughly 2500 sqf.
My buddy did New Age because he wanted metal cabinets. They are decent for a mass produced China product. The only issues he had was the stem wall (curb) around the garage & not taking the slope of the floor into consideration. All of his cabinets sit 4" away from the wall because of the curb. He tried installing one on top but felt the cabinet wasn't designed to hang on the wall and needed to sit on the floor. The other issue was slope, a garage floor slopes from back to front. All of his side wall cabinets are misaligned and look crappy. The cabinets we make are designed to sit on the stem wall and be attached to the wall studs. 

Its should be a Polyaspartic for the exterior, problem with any exterior coating is Moisture Vapor Drive. When the ground under the concrete gets wet the heat of the sun draws the moisture in a vapor out of the concrete. When you install a non-permeable coating outside you have high probability for blistering or bubbling (same thing). Also a poly wont bond to concrete like an epoxy so if they go direct to concrete with the poly the chances are greater that it'll peel. There are a lot of new companies pitching garage coatings for exterior use but a lot of these guys offering 10 year and lifetime warranties haven't been in business very long. If warranty is a basis of your decision be sure they have been in business long enough to stand behind a warranty. I love to ask "can you give me the address of a job or 2 that you did 8-10 years ago with this same system you are offering me"? I've been in this business for 25 years, I have seen a lot of guys come and go. I have seen a lot of customers left worse off than before they started. My advise for exterior coating is don't do it but if you must make sure you use an experienced contractor, understand the limitations of what you are doing and have the expectation that you'll have to maintain the coating. 

I have these in my current house which we sold and the new owner wanted to buy them so I sold them to him and bought a new set for the new house. 

They have been great for me. They are not industrial grade by no means, but more than adequate for most garage mechanics IMHO. The set I have now still look new. I really like the roll around cabinet. I can roll it out and work on big stuff, and get it close to whatever I'm working on. I bolted mine to the wall and they are solid, no movement at all.

The grey set are what I have now, the red set is what I am putting in the new garage when we move soon. I also picked up a new garage fridge to match the cabinets on sale at HD. The new garage should look bitchin when I get them installed.

IMG_0175.JPG

imageService (1).jpeg

6437996cv1d.jpg

My buddy did New Age because he wanted metal cabinets. They are decent for a mass produced China product. The only issues he had was the stem wall (curb) around the garage & not taking the slope of the floor into consideration. All of his cabinets sit 4" away from the wall because of the curb. He tried installing one on top but felt the cabinet wasn't designed to hang on the wall and needed to sit on the floor. The other issue was slope, a garage floor slopes from back to front. All of his side wall cabinets are misaligned and look crappy. The cabinets we make are designed to sit on the stem wall and be attached to the wall studs. 

Its should be a Polyaspartic for the exterior, problem with any exterior coating is Moisture Vapor Drive. When the ground under the concrete gets wet the heat of the sun draws the moisture in a vapor out of the concrete. When you install a non-permeable coating outside you have high probability for blistering or bubbling (same thing). Also a poly wont bond to concrete like an epoxy so if they go direct to concrete with the poly the chances are greater that it'll peel. There are a lot of new companies pitching garage coatings for exterior use but a lot of these guys offering 10 year and lifetime warranties haven't been in business very long. If warranty is a basis of your decision be sure they have been in business long enough to stand behind a warranty. I love to ask "can you give me the address of a job or 2 that you did 8-10 years ago with this same system you are offering me"? I've been in this business for 25 years, I have seen a lot of guys come and go. I have seen a lot of customers left worse off than before they started. My advise for exterior coating is don't do it but if you must make sure you use an experienced contractor, understand the limitations of what you are doing and have the expectation that you'll have to maintain the coating. 
100% correct I would not do what that company is promising ether. The Polyaspartic systems has only been about 5-6 years as far as a full system and were put in to play due to a fast turn around on a 1 day install. In a garage thats fine to a extent(I still like the strength of epoxy with a poly top coat) but exterior is a whole other world. A poly coat will set up in about 20-30 min and does not give it as much of a window to penetrate and bond to the concrete. Along with that Moisture vapor outside is a major factor as Pennywise explained. Most likely they will have exceptions in the warranty that they we use to mitigate any issues you will have down the line.

Failure or disbandment of coating caused by hydro-static pressure, water transmission

though concrete slab, Slab cracks or movement , re-occurrence of existing slab cracks, slab out gassing, failure caused by extreme abuse, fire, explosions, acts of nature, excessive movement of slab or job site conditions exceeding bid specifications.. 

I did the DIY on my garage in TX... it was good until it wasnt. It chipped easily, got scratches easily and overall just looked like crap a year later.  I acid washed it, etched it, put down two coats with chips then clear coated the top.  I thought it was gonna be great and the time and money wasted on it just sucked. I only saved about $1000 overall when the job was done and it didnt last a year. Go with a pro and be done with it. 

Stugots should come out and do your floor and come fix my top deck.   do a lake weekend while we are at it. 

I did the DIY 10yrs ago with the cheap homedepot (I think a concrete brand) brand with sand texture. It was nice for the first year. Then hated the sand texture could not clean it well. Then about the 4-5yr date it started to bubble and flake off. It will be awful to remove.

My neighbor just did his DIY with the epoxy stuff (don't know the exact product). Hope it lasts for him, it looks good though.

I’m installing cameras and electrical for a company that does industrial concrete floor coatings.  They don’t do residential but the owner offered to do my garage for a reasonable donation to an orphanage he sponsors.  tempting but I think I’d have to pull up my empty gun safes. I can tell you this, seeing the equipment and polymers they use, to have it done correctly is expensive.   

To add, dont do it your self.

It is a buy once cry once deal.. If you don't do it 100% correct  you will regret it and only have yourself to blame when you have to pay more to have it done right. 

It takes a lot of expensive equipment and experience to do them right. Not saying it can't be done, but by the time you buy good materials, rent equipment and study what to do, someone can turn it over in 2 days and your done..
I appreciate the info.    I didn't get a detailed quote, just a ballpark figure.    Gotta get my buggy back together and rollable before I do anything with the floor.  

Back