Death of the Entry Level Job

True, but rent will still go up while their mortgages stay the same...squatters are going to exist regardless.   If I owned a bunch of apartment buildings or rental properties, I'd be happy about this change.
Agreed

My ex-wife was a manager for the McDonald's Corp and ran a large one with 200 or 300 (I forget) seating capacity in a major downtown area.  She went through 5 to 6 employees per months and they were starting at $18/hr.  They'd call in sick, not show up, leave halfway through a shift, etc.  It was common that they would close the 'dinning room' numerous times per week due to lack of staff.  $22/hour won't change that mentality, and I doubt anything will.  No work ethic whatsoever.  

My ex-wife was a manager for the McDonald's Corp and ran a large one with 200 or 300 (I forget) seating capacity in a major downtown area.  She went through 5 to 6 employees per months and they were starting at $18/hr.  They'd call in sick, not show up, leave halfway through a shift, etc.  It was common that they would close the 'dinning room' numerous times per week due to lack of staff.  $22/hour won't change that mentality, and I doubt anything will.  No work ethic whatsoever.  
The company I have worked for the past 24 years is relocating the shipping/receiving warehouse out of state and I don't blame them.  I had to maintain 20% over per-pandemic staffing to keep the business afloat due to the lack of workers.  Ever since the mandatory minimum wage increase from $9.75 to now $15.50 began work ethic took a dive.  Why put in the effort when you know you were guaranteed a 50+% raise of the next few years.  All they had to do was show up and some of them couldn't even do that.

My warehouse staff was notified 100+ days in advance, were provided stay bonuses, severance packages and future unemployment benefits. All they could talk about was getting unemployment and being able to sit on their asses for a few months while they spent their bonuses. 

Meanwhile, productivity came to a trickle, I was lucky to have a 3/4 staff once a week and it was a miracle for some of them to show up with an hour of their start time.  All the while, they complained that I was doing them wrong and that they couldn't believe the new owners didn't want to keep them. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe this only applies to California....it's nationwide!  When the government passes out money for literally anything and tells them to stay at home for the "greater good", how did you think it was going to turn out.

I agree that the wages for fast food employees seems outrageous but like said by J Alper, the cost of living is crazy. How do you expect the younger generation to move out of their parents home and start living on their own these days? How do they start their own lives like we did? I moved out at 19 with my then girlfriend. We both had a little better than entry level jobs from working our way up. Neither one of us went to college. Now a days if you want something better than entry level you have to have some kind of degree or years experience equivalent to. Now with so many people looking for work, the odds of getting one of those jobs is slim. Rent for an apartment back in the day was $800 per month and now is like $1700. So yes, if the cost of living is gonna double or triple than wages need to do the same.

Watch history 101 on netflix about China, pretty scarry, China will soon be the new super power, there grows soon will out pass the US, the prediction is 2025,  I feel nothing is made in America, we need $22 per hour production plants,  

squatters are going to exist regardless. 
The governement had a moritorium on evictions for roughly the last two years. It’s bad enough when you have squaters, worse when the givernment is preventing you from removing them. Landlords will not profit from this like eveyone thinks.

I agree that the wages for fast food employees seems outrageous but like said by J Alper, the cost of living is crazy. How do you expect the younger generation to move out of their parents home and start living on their own these days? How do they start their own lives like we did? I moved out at 19 with my then girlfriend. We both had a little better than entry level jobs from working our way up. Neither one of us went to college. Now a days if you want something better than entry level you have to have some kind of degree or years experience equivalent to. Now with so many people looking for work, the odds of getting one of those jobs is slim. Rent for an apartment back in the day was $800 per month and now is like $1700. So yes, if the cost of living is gonna double or triple than wages need to do the same.
The younger generation DOESN'T want to move out. I oversee 18 employees in my division. These are various careers in law enforcement. Far from an entry level job. They make a $100k a year with overtime. Out of 18 employees, 10 live with their parents. Meanwhile, they vacation in the Maldives and spend thousands of dollars in Vegas every other weekend. All between 25 and 30 years old. 5 of them drive vehicles over $75,000. When asked if they're looking for homes, all of them look at me with a blank stare like I'm speaking a foreign language. They don't value owning a own home or living on their own as a benefit. They see it as an inconvenience to their lifestyle. Even looking around my neighborhood in Riverside. Multiple generations living in one house but you see the parties and the new cars all the time. I don't think it's a pay issue. I think it's a generational issue.

Watch history 101 on netflix about China, pretty scarry, China will soon be the new super power, there grows soon will out pass the US, the prediction is 2025,  I feel nothing is made in America, we need $22 per hour production plants,  
Nothing is made in America because it is cheaper to make it over seas. More tariffs, higher taxes and a HUGE reduction in the red tape and bullshit it takes to own and operate a business in this country would be a good start to addressing this problem. Work ethic of todays work force, well that is a whole other discussion.

Nothing is made in America because it is cheaper to make it over seas. More tariffs, higher taxes and a HUGE reduction in the red tape and bullshit it takes to own and operate a business in this country would be a good start to addressing this problem. Work ethic of todays work force, well that is a whole other discussion.
You lost me at "higher taxes".  MAGA

I disagree, While rent used to be $800/month, wages were also alot less. But, the ratio of hours required to work compared to expenses is still the same. By raising lower income entry wages it is only a bandaid and eventually transfers to the upper levels (middle class) without compensation at that level...just higher expenses that have been passed along. Then the cycle continues. For example, recently the minimum wage was raised. It helped them for a while but now it's no longer enough.

Solve the problem by motivation (none right now). Free food housing and money is never the solution. Motivation comes from need. You want something, work for it. Plenty of jobs out there in blue collar. I know alot of employers who cant find blue collar people to fill the positions regardless of pay rate (mechanics, welders, trades people, etc). I personally have tried to help about 20 people to have a $150k/year+ job on 40 hours per week but all takers were too lazy (various ages ...and it's not a hard job). Unfortunately my son's age group (early 20's) sees too many making big $ doing what appears to be very little (youtube, etc). That's their example but in reality, it's the exception.

The younger generation DOESN'T want to move out. I oversee 18 employees in my division. These are various careers in law enforcement. Far from an entry level job. They make a $100k a year with overtime. Out of 18 employees, 10 live with their parents. Meanwhile, they vacation in the Maldives and spend thousands of dollars in Vegas every other weekend. All between 25 and 30 years old. 5 of them drive vehicles over $75,000. When asked if they're looking for homes, all of them look at me with a blank stare like I'm speaking a foreign language. They don't value owning a own home or living on their own as a benefit. They see it as an inconvenience to their lifestyle. Even looking around my neighborhood in Riverside. Multiple generations living in one house but you see the parties and the new cars all the time. I don't think it's a pay issue. I think it's a generational issue.
My kids are part of this generation, however we set a few guidelines:

Graduate HS

Start Career (not Job) or go to College / work part time job

No Marriage until Career has a good start or College is finished / Career started

Buy first home/condo/townhome/duplex...whatever...go enjoy your life.

....you can have kids now  :lol:

I did the same, moved out at 18 but I was lucky to land a job at the Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena (nepotism at its finest) when I was 19 and was earning $45k/yr in 1991/92.  I bought my first house at 21 yrs old for $140k.  Today that same house is selling for around $750k.  There are planty of good paying $100-$150k per year jobs but they aren't in an air conditioned office.  The trades pay well, even Walmart is offering $100k per year for truck driving.  The energy business is another often overlooked career.  I spent 18 years in the oil refining industry and was always between $125-$150k a year dependning on how much OT I wanted to work.  I know guys that were doing $200+ every year, just never saw their families.   

Plenty of good paying careers out there in law enforcement, firefighters, and a ton of civil service jobs, all with great benefits, vacation and pensions.  None of which require a degree.  My son graduated with a 4.2 GPA and I expected him to go to college and get a degree in something.  But he decided to take a year and work full time for me running transport jobs.  He's doing 50-60 hours a week and making great money.  He said he has no plans to go to college now, which is disapointing but I can't blame him.  I don't have a degree and neither do my two younger brothers who are LAFD firefighters.  He uses us as an example as to why he's choosing not to go.  We all have great paying jobs, nice homes and are pretty much set.  He wants the same.  Hard to convince him otherwise at this point.

When they're young, they get a job, live at home and save their money. Then they get training, or a college degree and find a well paying career. Nobody should expect to buy a house or condo while making min. wage, that's ridiculous. Learn a skill, make serious money, then buy a house.

Or go into the military. They get to live in a tent for free.

One neighbor of mine has both 30 something kids still living at home. The neighbor on the other side has both sons, the daughter in law and soon to be grandkid living with him. It's starting to remind me of HI, where it's typical to have 3 generations living in one house, often with 5 - 8 incomes helping with the mortgage or rent.

One problem we have with younger generations and why they aren't moving out from the parents house is they like to eat out every day.  I was taught and taught my kids that the easiest way to save money for more important things, like housing is to eat at home or just be smarter.  I have also taught my kids not to chase the fancy car, buy used and pay cash.

I have three kids, all three live on their own.  25, 23, and 20 year old, other than health care and phone bill they are off my payroll living on their own.  

One other thing I see is, Parents that don't want their kids to leave, this is something I don't understand, but I see it with some of my friends.  I just figure they don't like their spouse and need the extra distractions at home???

I disagree, While rent used to be $800/month, wages were also alot less. But, the ratio of hours required to work compared to expenses is still the same. By raising lower income entry wages it is only a bandaid and eventually transfers to the upper levels (middle class) without compensation at that level...just higher expenses that have been passed along. Then the cycle continues. For example, recently the minimum wage was raised. It helped them for a while but now it's no longer enough.

Solve the problem by motivation (none right now). Free food housing and money is never the solution. Motivation comes from need. You want something, work for it. Plenty of jobs out there in blue collar. I know alot of employers who cant find blue collar people to fill the positions regardless of pay rate (mechanics, welders, trades people, etc). I personally have tried to help about 20 people to have a $150k/year+ job on 40 hours per week but all takers were too lazy (various ages ...and it's not a hard job). Unfortunately my son's age group (early 20's) sees too many making big $ doing what appears to be very little (youtube, etc). That's their example but in reality, it's the exception.
I'll take one of the positions. Let me know what you have. 

I'll take one of the positions. Let me know what you have. 
I'd be in for one as well...  What is the scope of work?

In CA, with the cost of living, i would think that a fast food place would be $18-20 a hour,  Dealing with POS people all day and handling food, seems like a fair wage, 
Doesnt seem like the fast food restaurants  have trouble finding employees at the current 15$ 

it it was an unfair wage there would be no workers to be found

Back