CP4 Scare - Fuel filter 2013 Checy 3500 Duramax

My uncle just got his truck back after 10 months and 30k.

His fuel pump blew and it took out the engine.  2015 with 120k miles.

They basically replaced everything and the dealer could not get it to run right.

After months at the dealer he brought it to a different mechanic out in Chino.

They determined that is was a problem with the replacement engine and replaced it again.

The symptoms stayed the same. Last I heard they replaced the ECU and it is running again.

We'll see if he makes it to Thanksgiving :classic_biggrin:

After hearing this story my brother sold his 2015 and bought a 2022. 

The sad part is how much these trucks cost and sh!t like this happens. 

Last edited by a moderator:
2013 Duramax with 85,000 miles.  Stock truck and fuel filter changed regularly. 

I was a victim in May of this year.  Driving home from work, heard lots of rattling under the hood, and truck died on the side of the road.  Saw some fuel dripping out of the bottom.  Had a bad feeling.  Truck was towed to the dealer and they confirmed the CP4 failed.  They wanted $15,500 to fix it!  Service rep was so matter of fact about it, "So you want to bring us a check for $5000 and we'll get started?"

I called my go to @L.R.S. and he recommended United Diesel Service in El Monte.  They did the job for $8500 and I was happy with the work and communication.   I called Chevy, talked to multiple reps, asked them for some help to pay for this repair since it's a known issue.   They all gave me the same story - sorry, but your warranty is expired, good luck and sorry again.  Still really pissed about it. 

Here are pics of my pump.  The whole pump body cracked. 

I never used any additives until after the pump failed.  Maybe that would have helped.  Who knows.  Ugh.  

View attachment 46546

View attachment 46547

View attachment 46548

View attachment 46549

View attachment 46550

View attachment 46551

View attachment 46552
Curious if United Diesel Service did anything different to prevent it from happening again?

Should'a kept my 2007 dually!

Curious if United Diesel Service did anything different to prevent it from happening again?

Should'a kept my 2007 dually!
Repair shop installed a "contamination kit for the cp4 pump" which included a new pump, injectors, fuel rails, etc.  

But they just returned it to stock, no additional parts to prevent it from happening again.  They recommended adding Diesel Kleen or Stanadyne, etc every couple of fill-ups. 

But I won't own this truck long enough to find out!  Getting rid of it.   Too scared to keep driving it.  Feels cursed. Pissed at Chevy. 

My mom has a 15, I thought her CP4 went. 

Nope, she put gas in it. The handle was green was her excuse...I went and checked. Sure enough, the 91 octane handle was green. Effin pee pees.

View attachment 46892
not sure about that repair bill i have done a few trucks with fuel added and one even drove 20 miles with 50/50 gas diesel and it was a simple change the fluid..........................i wonder of this repair above

Made a run to Parker and back, problem solved! Ran like a top, no issues since we got the fuel filter changed, primed and truck running! Got 750 miles on it total confidence is back. Still looking at the lift pump, etc.

My money is on bad fuel. That truck has had stanadyne additive ran through most tanks of fuel.  I used stanadyne on my 03 LB7 up to 150k miles and never had injector issues.  As others have said, it’s a lubrication issue.  Add that to the fuel and I would think that would help drastically increase the life of the cp4.  

That being said, this is just an opinion.  Cp4s have also been known to fail with less than 50k miles.  

We also have an LML that’s still in the fleet run over 250k miles with no fuel additive ever and never had any fuel issues.  So there’s really no telling when or if you will run into issues. 

My money is on bad fuel. That truck has had stanadyne additive ran through most tanks of fuel.  I used stanadyne on my 03 LB7 up to 150k miles and never had injector issues.  As others have said, it’s a lubrication issue.  Add that to the fuel and I would think that would help drastically increase the life of the cp4.  

That being said, this is just an opinion.  Cp4s have also been known to fail with less than 50k miles.  

We also have an LML that’s still in the fleet run over 250k miles with no fuel additive ever and never had any fuel issues.  So there’s really no telling when or if you will run into issues. 
Its all a crap shoot! 

I picked up some RevX from GreaseMonkey and will be using that from now on.

Wife didn't like the 'ride' to Parker and back. "Since we don't pull a 5th wheel any more, do we really need this much truck?" I said a 1/2 ton would ride better but that means selling this and the search begins for a new (used) one.

Back