CP4 Scare - Fuel filter 2013 Checy 3500 Duramax

Do the PSD's suffer the same fate?  They have a factory lift pump.

I'm might need one of these for my '04.
i did that on my 96, but i was afraid of the lines outside the tank, so i did an inside sump, turned out really nice, but I think i got mine from strictly diesel, great guys and helped me thru the process. when i was done and sent him pics he said I never thought of that lol.

i did that on my 96, but i was afraid of the lines outside the tank, so i did an inside sump, turned out really nice, but I think i got mine from strictly diesel, great guys and helped me thru the process. when i was done and sent him pics he said I never thought of that lol.
I already did an in tank years ago, but I think that over time the in tank lines have failed.  It slowly would run out of fuel at higher and higher levels.  This would keep me from having to pull the tank to rebuild it.

I know a lot of insurance companies cover it under contamination , comprehensive coverage....    Yes the fords have the same issue....

PSA..... don't put DEF in  your fuel tank.................

Drain the fuel separator once a month.... don't get fuel from sketchy places... 

Whats involved in mounting this? 
A drill, a ratchet with the appropriate socket, some hose, and zip-ties.  

You could probably just run hose from the sump all the way up to the factory filter head inlet.

I already did an in tank years ago, but I think that over time the in tank lines have failed.  It slowly would run out of fuel at higher and higher levels.  This would keep me from having to pull the tank to rebuild it.
that was a concern of mine also. 

Whats involved in mounting this? 
It’s pretty simple, they even include the hole saw bit. Drill the hole then install the unit. Run a feed line to the pump. Pm me your number and I can send you some pics in the AM. 

that kit is $2600 bucks  yikes.  my new updated CP4 was like $500 and when i pulled out the old one at 250,000 miles it was beautiful too literally thought why am i replacing it!

i would rather save the $2100 and replace the pump every 100k
LOL It's definitely a pricey prevention plan. I'd do the latter option myself too. 

2013 Duramax with 85,000 miles.  Stock truck and fuel filter changed regularly. 

I was a victim in May of this year.  Driving home from work, heard lots of rattling under the hood, and truck died on the side of the road.  Saw some fuel dripping out of the bottom.  Had a bad feeling.  Truck was towed to the dealer and they confirmed the CP4 failed.  They wanted $15,500 to fix it!  Service rep was so matter of fact about it, "So you want to bring us a check for $5000 and we'll get started?"

I called my go to @L.R.S. and he recommended United Diesel Service in El Monte.  They did the job for $8500 and I was happy with the work and communication.   I called Chevy, talked to multiple reps, asked them for some help to pay for this repair since it's a known issue.   They all gave me the same story - sorry, but your warranty is expired, good luck and sorry again.  Still really pissed about it. 

Here are pics of my pump.  The whole pump body cracked. 

I never used any additives until after the pump failed.  Maybe that would have helped.  Who knows.  Ugh.  

20220520_125847.jpg

20220520_125855.jpg

20220520_125903.jpg

20220520_130239.jpg

20220520_125826.jpg

20220520_125836.jpg

20220520_125841.jpg

2013 Duramax with 85,000 miles.  Stock truck and fuel filter changed regularly. 

I was a victim in May of this year.  Driving home from work, heard lots of rattling under the hood, and truck died on the side of the road.  Saw some fuel dripping out of the bottom.  Had a bad feeling.  Truck was towed to the dealer and they confirmed the CP4 failed.  They wanted $15,500 to fix it!  Service rep was so matter of fact about it, "So you want to bring us a check for $5000 and we'll get started?"

I called my go to @L.R.S. and he recommended United Diesel Service in El Monte.  They did the job for $8500 and I was happy with the work and communication.   I called Chevy, talked to multiple reps, asked them for some help to pay for this repair since it's a known issue.   They all gave me the same story - sorry, but your warranty is expired, good luck and sorry again.  Still really pissed about it. 

Here are pics of my pump.  The whole pump body cracked. 

I never used any additives until after the pump failed.  Maybe that would have helped.  Who knows.  Ugh.  

View attachment 46546

WOW.......... what has to fail for that to happen?  seems like a piece of something had to get between 2 immovable objects...  (Like a tooth between a ring gear & a pinion).

WOW.......... what has to fail for that to happen?  seems like a piece of something had to get between 2 immovable objects...  (Like a tooth between a ring gear & a pinion).
when the cam that pushes the pistons in the pump starts to flake apart it jams the pistons. just from what i read

Back