Coffee

WLD_OTZ

Reaction score
I seem to remember a thread a long long time ago about this, but surch nets me nuttin

How do you get really good, I mean great, coffee, at home like you enjoy after a great meal at an upper end restaurant? You know, that deep rich coffee, that is not bitter or overpowering, just wonderful coffee. 

We have tried several coffee makers and styles, but it never quite gets there. Currently we have a Breville Grind n Brew, and use Illy Intenso beans. I have played with grinds and strength, temp and whatnot. Close, but not there. 

Ideas? 

Try cold brewing it. In a French press, room temp water, leave it for at least 24 hrs. It's definitely less bitter, and you can adjust the brew time to adjust strength. 

I'm a big espresso fan, I have a friend from Italy who showed me the correct way to do it. It actually really darn good when done right.

When I'm in the dunes I make a special espresso & booze drink that people seem to really like....

If you want to dive into home made espresso, get a moka pot. Far cheaper then an actual espresso machine, usually $20-30. Make sure you get a stainless one tho, the aluminum ones can leave a funny taste....

5022261d-b20a-48cf-bd87-ad181d2f5916_1.e13134fc5c58a9ed3a9bf511198d728b.jpeg

We have a very good espresso machine, but I am looking for a solution for the person who fills a 20 oz cup when they awake, and refill it on the way out the door. I do not care for the Americana version of espresso. 

"I can't stand coffee. I despise coffee. I can't stand driving around the cars in line at a Starbucks." To Quote Mac. HAHAHAHA.  Peace

Costco or Folgers.

Place in electric coffee maker with new filter 2/3rds of the way up.

Fill reservoir with water from lightly rinsed coffee pot from the day before.

Press "brew"

Wait.

Drink.

Taste?  Tastes like I'm not gonna fall into the machinery today. :biggrin:

Costco or Folgers.

Place in electric coffee maker with new filter 2/3rds of the way up.

Fill reservoir with water from lightly rinsed coffee pot from the day before.

Press "brew"

Wait.

Drink.

Taste?  Tastes like I'm not gonna fall into the machinery today. :biggrin:
says the man who has his car in the shop for over a month complaining about a little rattle when the stereo volume is on his freaking steering wheel!

says the man who has his car in the shop for over a month complaining about a little rattle when the stereo volume is on his freaking steering wheel!
Hey, I drive my kids in that car.  Won't you think of the children?!?!?!

No

But you did solve that problem. You haven't driven them in that car lately... 
Amusingly, I've had to dodge waaaay more accidents in this grey anonybox since it's so forgettable the human mind filters it into the background and people make lane changes into me...

Amusingly, I've had to dodge waaaay more accidents in this grey anonybox since it's so forgettable the human mind filters it into the background and people make lane changes into me...
Stop playing the victim card. 

My coffee brewing was a result of working with a retired Command Master Chief. If we made coffee that wasn't opaque, he'd come into the morning meeting and ask:

Which one of you faggots made the God damned tea?

never tried it, but i heard cuban coffee is pretty good, but dont plan on sleeping anytime soon. :lol:

I use an Aeropress, 167 degree water and burr grinder set about 2/3 to the fine ground setting. I might be picky about my coffee beans too. Getting away from bitterness for me seems to be bean choice and water temp. 

Back