Changing this to an ongoing 6.0 thread (Feb 2022)

Turbo service? It's anything with a turbo in it, at least in a diesel... our 7.3, and my old 5.9 12v was the same :dunno:  

I guess I live under a rock or something.  Im fixin to spin 250K on my 99 Ram & have not had to touch the turbo (or really anything engine related).  its had one valve adjustment in its life (40K ago).  It for sure has had its share of fuel system issues, it has a VP44 in it......... the Diesel version of one of them late 80's/early 90's electronic carburetor deals.  LOL.  and it looks like Im going to have to put some frictions into the trans in the next year or so. 

I guess I live under a rock or something.  Im fixin to spin 250K on my 99 Ram & have not had to touch the turbo (or really anything engine related).  its had one valve adjustment in its life (40K ago).  It for sure has had its share of fuel system issues, it has a VP44 in it......... the Diesel version of one of them late 80's/early 90's electronic carburetor deals.  LOL.  and it looks like Im going to have to put some frictions into the trans in the next year or so. 
I put 305k on my 99 ram (53 block) and never touched anything but the vp (of course) and torque converter, then traded it off to a neighbor. Told him to go easy on the tranny. He didn’t, so he had to go thru the tranny but it already had the billet converter that I put in so tranny build only cost him $1500. It’s got somewhere around 330k on it now with the original turbo. VGT turbos don’t last a fraction of what a fixed geometry turbo does. 

Ok, on to the next topic - catalytic converter. When I bought the truck it had the stock exhaust on it. Went through emissions and it passed just fine, but failed the visual because theres no cat. I really should have caught that one.... Anyways, I bought one from ebay and will be installing it this week. Do I knock out the innards or leave it as is? Just want the best performance, obviously. Thanks again 

Innards are "taken care of" as of last fall - I know you were all wondering.

New turbo sounds good - just a faint whistle, and the truck is running great. Just did fuel/coolant/oil filters and cleaned the air filter too. I really love this truck. 

Next question.... do I cut the muffler out and just run a straight pipe from the cat back? It has been on my mind for a while now, but I don't really know why. Online searches tell me I have to have a muffler here in Scottsdale but also tell me I do not have to have a muffler here in Scottsdale, so I don't know. We are planning a summer road trip (going north for a round trip of +/- 3,000 miles) with a cab over camper or trailer and if I can gain anything by opening it up a bit, I would not hate it. 

After this I will be looking for good tire options. I have two sets of wheels that I would like two good sets of tires on - road and all terrains. I am happy with my 2021 take offs for the road tires, they are Michelins, but would like a second set of more aggressive rubber for sand, rocks, or when we go into the woods either camping or hunting. But, this is not a priority at this time. Later, though! 

Innards are "taken care of" as of last fall - I know you were all wondering.

New turbo sounds good - just a faint whistle, and the truck is running great. Just did fuel/coolant/oil filters and cleaned the air filter too. I really love this truck. 

Next question.... do I cut the muffler out and just run a straight pipe from the cat back? It has been on my mind for a while now, but I don't really know why. Online searches tell me I have to have a muffler here in Scottsdale but also tell me I do not have to have a muffler here in Scottsdale, so I don't know. We are planning a summer road trip (going north for a round trip of +/- 3,000 miles) with a cab over camper or trailer and if I can gain anything by opening it up a bit, I would not hate it. 

After this I will be looking for good tire options. I have two sets of wheels that I would like two good sets of tires on - road and all terrains. I am happy with my 2021 take offs for the road tires, they are Michelins, but would like a second set of more aggressive rubber for sand, rocks, or when we go into the woods either camping or hunting. But, this is not a priority at this time. Later, though! 
My 6.ho has gutted cat and straight pipe. Its pretty quiet. The vgt equipped vehicles are much quieter (my 7.3 is straight piped too and its much louder). Btw union ring and vanes should be clocked and everything cleaned regularly on the turbo. Not necessarily “rebuilt”. Do yourself a favor and drive like an ahole now and them to burn some gunk out.o

im a fan of the toyo open country a/t’s run 35’s on the 6.0 love them so much getting a set of toyo 35’s on the f350 thursday (currently has 37” bfg’s

51E37E17-C013-49CA-A307-2DF0A9401E07.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to look into the turbo service. Is it something that is easy enough to do on my own? I am somewhat car and truck savvy, but not REALLY. 

I give it the juice once a week or so, getting on the freeway. Blows a little smoke, but not a ton. Always fun to blow a ricer off the side of the road on occasion, too!

My truck is stock ride height. How do the 35s fit and look? I can adjust for tire size on my monitor I believe, but am on the fence with what size tire to go with. I had some stock size A/Ts a while back, another set of take offs, but sold them. Finally have the two sets of stock King Ranch wheels I want, and will be keeping whatever tires I get for the long haul this time. 

The excursion has stock f250 rear springs and 3” procomp (f250) front lift springs which works out to like a 6” front 3” rear lift on the excursion. Everything clears fine, front rub a little on leafs at full stop turn. B25BDD6F-F587-432D-B9D1-8921B82F4D35.jpeg

F350 is stock rear (350 is 2” taller rear than 250) and 4” lift front. Just put these 35’s on thurs. no rub at all 

9031BA1F-DCD5-45C5-9F5D-B4904C67C6BD.jpeg

Back