Changing this to an ongoing 6.0 thread (Feb 2022)

RideSand

Reaction score
New post about the muffler on the second page

I recently "bullet proofed" my truck and am looking for a tuner / monitor for it now. I had a SuperChips tuner for my 7.3 that just had the basic tunes - stock, tow, tow safe, tow performance, and hi-performance. That was easy enough to use but I wouldn't mind something a little more, I don't know, tunable now? Main thing is being able to see my temps and gaining a little more performance when towing. I don't currently have a travel trailer, but will be in the market later on down the road. I tow 16 to 30 foot trailers for work, sometimes a couple of states over even, moderately loaded. Would love something that has an economy tune too, or something like that, for the days Im empty around town. 

Is any of this making sense, and do you have a suggestion for me!? Ive read about a good amount of them but still don't really have a heading. Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator:
The dp infinity is really cool (tuner/gauges, super legit code reader/diagnostics unit) 

dont buy anything edge, they are garbage and the people there are a-holes.

i have a php hydra. I like it. I run a 80 and 100 horse tow tune and a 50 horse economy. I got it from john woods

Haven't heard of them, but will look it up. Good to know about Edge - that one seems to be popular, but if it sucks it sucks. 

FWIW, I had a bad experience with Bully Dog.  I talked to everyone including the janitor & they were clueless. ended up throwing it all away. This was for an 99 Dodge.

I use an Edge Insight monitor in my 05, I wouldn't put a tuner in a 6.0 of any year. I have 320k on mine and I credit lots of miles with minimum issues to not having it chipped. This is what I have, with the expansion cable and egt probe

https://edgeproducts.com/insight/

What all did you do as far as the Bulletproof stuff and when you did the upgrades did you do head studs as well? 

I use an Edge Insight monitor in my 05, I wouldn't put a tuner in a 6.0 of any year. I have 320k on mine and I credit lots of miles with minimum issues to not having it chipped. This is what I have, with the expansion cable and egt probe

https://edgeproducts.com/insight/
I have the same monitor, i know you know my original problems from my thread, after 4wp stepped up and replaced that one it lasted a year and a half mostly trouble free (occasional freeze), but now the touch screen  doesnt work and edge’s solution is i should buy another 500$ gauge that lasts 1.5 years and never really works right and when i call the manufacturer for an rma to send in to be checked they refuse and hang up

Many people hate on Banks but I have used sixgun with Banks IQ since around 2010. The IQ will act up on occasion but a cycle of the key normally takes care of it. I no longer have a 6.0 but I still use it to monitor. My recommendation would be to Use for monitor only. The main issue is if you run the 6.0 hard on a tune even after bulletproofing it will still fail.  I must say even with the abuse given to mine it lasted longer than expected. Around 200,000 miles burned a hole in a piston and had multiple cracked pistons. The external oil cooler will go a long way but it can't cure all the issues with a hot tune. As long as you go easy and keep your foot out of it you should be good. They are fun though.

I have the same monitor, i know you know my original problems from my thread, after 4wp stepped up and replaced that one it lasted a year and a half mostly trouble free (occasional freeze), but now the touch screen  doesnt work and edge’s solution is i should buy another 500$ gauge that lasts 1.5 years and never really works right and when i call the manufacturer for an rma to send in to be checked they refuse and hang up
That sucks, I understand and it would leave me pissed too... I can honestly say I haven't had any issues at all. I did the one firmware upgrade and it freaked out the ECU in the truck but I think it was my fault for setting it up incorrectly. 

This is what was recently done. Im not looking to turn the thing into a race truck, just need something that will boost my performance up a little bit.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 6.21.29 AM.png

I bulletproofed a 6.0 I had and did all the banks six gun stuff with there idash. Works really nice and is 50 state legal so if you live in Cali you don’t have to mess with your truck each time before smog. 

He's not worried about smog if it has an EGR delete on it already. Sct x4 tuner is what I would recommend. It's a fancy digital monitor like the edge, it you want it plugged in and up all the time, It has a tow, economy, and race mode stock, but you can get custom tunes  from just about anywhere in the country, sky is the limit and make it as fast as you want. I ordered seven tunes from swamps diesel performance on my tuner And have the 6.4 motor. Just watch coolant and oil temperature on that 6.0 and make sure they don't get too far apart in temps. Those new head gaskets and ARP studs you put on, should hold 40- 50 psi of boost no problem. My truck came with an edge tuner on it when I bought it, and after the first engine blew up... I did some research and got all the good stuff second time around. New engine has lasted 60k so far with the x-4 tuner and towing daily for work.

All good stuff guys, thanks. My diesel guy has an exhaust temp sensor ready to go in my truck as soon as we can get together. Apparently its for the Edge monitor, but I can still run the SCT tuner with that set up. Looking like that is the direction Im going to go. 

He's not worried about smog if it has an EGR delete on it already. Sct x4 tuner is what I would recommend. It's a fancy digital monitor like the edge, it you want it plugged in and up all the time, It has a tow, economy, and race mode stock, but you can get custom tunes  from just about anywhere in the country, sky is the limit and make it as fast as you want. I ordered seven tunes from swamps diesel performance on my tuner And have the 6.4 motor. Just watch coolant and oil temperature on that 6.0 and make sure they don't get too far apart in temps. Those new head gaskets and ARP studs you put on, should hold 40- 50 psi of boost no problem. My truck came with an edge tuner on it when I bought it, and after the first engine blew up... I did some research and got all the good stuff second time around. New engine has lasted 60k so far with the x-4 tuner and towing daily for work.
Just know that the factory sending unit will only read up to 35psi boost. Found that out the hard way

Just know that the factory sending unit will only read up to 35psi boost. Found that out the hard way
Ya, once I put the tuner on it started pegging the factory boost gauge so hard, I was worried the wastegate stopped working. had so much fun hot rodding the truck around on 37" tires, that  I murdered the tranny in about 3 months. Build your tranny before you start adding tuners and creating more problems... not making it to the desert is the worst feeling in the world. I have confirmed that the factory Ford turbo on my 6.4 will put out at least 45 PSI of boost. Had to replace a supporting fuel pump or two along the way but she pulls hard now. 

The dp infinity is really cool (tuner/gauges, super legit code reader/diagnostics unit) 

dont buy anything edge, they are garbage and the people there are a-holes.

i have a php hydra. I like it. I run a 80 and 100 horse tow tune and a 50 horse economy. I got it from john woods
I've got the DP Infiniti for my 7.3. Was bitchen when it worked.

Not sure if things have changed but I've had some major issues with it and DP no longer has the rights/software to touch the In Dash module.

As of about a year and a half ago.

This is what was recently done. Im not looking to turn the thing into a race truck, just need something that will boost my performance up a little bit.

View attachment 8122
So this motor was repaired, not "Bulletproofed". There's nothing wrong with what they did but it's different than what the term refers to. My 05 has decked heads, ARP studs, steel head gaskets, Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler, Bulletproof oil cooler with remote filter, Bulletproof billet water pump, Banks aluminum intercooler and a couple more goodies. The coolant filter is nice but it doesn't keep the OE egr coolers from failing. in your case that doesn't matter because it's deleted, but that potentially poses another issue because you probably have a check engine code/light unless that was disabled in which case you won't know if something else fails. Preventative maint is key. Also it's good measure to change the ICP and IPR sensors as well as the thermostat every 100k miles. Ask me how I know :lol:  

Back